Network scan and saving if logged in

ManuelManuel Posts: 5Member, Beta Tester
First Comment Photogenic
Hello,
I'm a longtime Fing app user and with latest version I've found something that is getting me nuts.
I own a fingbox unit at home but I will like to use fing app to scan devices on my office network. It was easy and simple in the past as scan worked over the network you will be in (then, at home, over home network and at work over the office network). Plus, with the old login you were able to save both networks into your device.
Actually, if I'm logged in, doesn't matter to which network I'm connected, I will only see the home network and clicking over the scan button does not add add/scan the office network if I'm there.
If I log out from Fing app, I will be able to scan the network I'm in but as I'm logged out, I can save it into my account and I need to go over the log in/log out procedure depending where I'm in.
Maybe I'm loosing something along the way but I understand that Fing app it must work in the old way. I mean, I should be able to scan the network I'm in and eventually save it into my profile if I'm logged in (and obviouly, while logged in, I will be able to look into my own fngbox unit)....
Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug as I suspect? It make no sense that users without login will be able to scan networks and users logged in will not...
Robin

Comments

• RobinRobin Posts: 526Administrator
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Answers 25 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Manuel
    Every router has multiple network interface cards which is the reason, routers are able to provide multiple frequencies(2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz). These are different access points that have their own MAC address(BSSID). As I can understand your issue, I believe some access points(BSSID) from your office are added on your home network(Fingbox) and that is why it is being redirected to your home network. You can verify this by checking the MAC address of the Access points(BSSID). If any of the BSSID is being added to the wrong Fingbox network then please remove it and it will resolve your issue. 
    Please follow these steps:  
    1. Open the Fing App  
    2. Click on the Network Tab  
    3. Click on the Network Details section(This is the directly under your network name)  
    4. Scroll down and locate the Access Point Section  
    5. You will be able to see the BSSID with an option on the right to remove it. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    rooted
  • mozarellamozarella Posts: 92Member, Beta Tester
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for that explanation. I've checked in my fing.app this list, but i can't really find the MAC-addresses within my fing-device-list. The MAC-addresses are slightly different, most the last two digits are another pair.
    I'm thinking, please correct if it's wrong, accesspionts have also two MAC-addresses or more, rite? I'm using ubiquiti unify accesspoints here to provide home-wifi and guest-wifi. So there should be at least 2 MAC-addresses, rite? How about the LAN-NIC? Does fingbox see just the LAN-MAC? I worry, fingbox and wifi are out of reach, just connected through cable through different walls.
    Could i add more accesspoints to my network-list, if there is an accesspoint missing?
    In the past, i had activated the option "wifi-protection". Which dropped some devices out of my wifi sometimes. After disabling this option (already a long time ago) the devices keep inside the wifi. So i think there's some trouble with that option, rite?
    regards,
    mozarella

• ManuelManuel Posts: 5Member, Beta Tester
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hello,
    Just to clarify things: networks are on different places even if router is the same model (phone company device). So, the issue has noting to be with devices on the same network and, imho, is a bug as previously network scan worked depending on the network you are logged in and now this seems not to work. Plus, once installed de Fing app beta (mac version), I was able to scan and save my office network on my profile. But, from the classic iOS app, it will not work as before.
    Regards an Happy 2020 to you all

Manuel
    First Comment Photogenic
    In reply to Robin post, the router at home is a Vodafone's one. And, on the office network, even is the same router exists, when you connect the router is invisible as our firewall balance between different FTTH networks and then this is the only device than FIng is able to see. And that device is not listed on my network (fing device powered).
    Again, the issue is on how the iOS app works now and how it worked. Previosly, it was able to scan the network you're in. And if you had were a registered user, that netwok was saved int your profile. Now, if you're logged in, it does not scan the network you're in but redirects you to your fing powered network. But, if you log out, you will scan the network you're in (not the fing based network in this case) but, obviously, you will not be able to save it.
    I'm wondering if anyone in the forum with a similar topology (2 networks on different places, one of them with a fing device plugged in and the other one without) will check the network scan with iOS app in both spots to check if behaviour is the same.

Manuel
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, sorry, my post should go to @Robin
    ✭✭✭
    actually i have multiple fingboxes, 2 at home, one at my parents home, two in office (two networks). And i'm using private fing.app and office's fing.app for both, fingbox and networkscan for networks without fingbox. In office, we have LAN with fingbox connected and guest LAN without fingbox. But my office's iPhone is connected to the guest-LAN over guest-wifi and i do manual scan from time to time.
    So i have more networks within the network-list. It doesn't matter, which network is selected, when i press the "reload"-button / "scan"-button, it'll switch to the local network where the iPhone is connected and do a network-scan there, not over fingbox.

But i noticed a strange function using the beta version of desktop fing-app. Although it's running on a device within the fingbox network, (doesn't matter if it's in office or at home) it creates another network and is merging informations from the fingbox network and the desktop-fing-app-netowrk. Not all the fingbox-informations will be copied to the "new" network.
    I worry, if i delete the desktop-fing-app-network, it'll also delete the fingbox-network, because it's the same information inside. A bit strange.

Manuel
    First Comment Photogenic
    Very strange.... My setup is clearly simple (one network with an another without). I tried the scan feature on the office network and from home (connecting thru VPN) but everytime I do a scan, the app moves to home network.... I tried removing a reinstalling but so far, so good... The curious thing is that it worked fine previously
    Let's see if fing people will add some light about...

Thank you for your reply
    ✭✭✭
    You can't do a scan through VPN. Fing is limited to the subnet the phone is connected to.
    By the way, i'm having fingbox at home. When i use devices out of my home LAN, go to office e. g., connect to home network through VPN and the device is getting an IP-address from home subnet (i could also ping the remote client from home clients) fingbox isn't find this device, because it's not direct attached to that network. Though it has an reachable IP-address from the same subnet.

I've tried the network-scan multiple times already in different places. Hotel-Wifi, café-wifi and so on. Always fing.app is doing a network-scan and creat a own network within the network-list. Really strange what you discover. Did you also try another phone / tablet?
    Are u using android or ios? And the app is logged in with your account, rite?
    Actually fing.app can't do a rescan on demand, if there's a fingbox connected with the network, you wanna scan. Fingbox has it's own crontab / timeline / schedule. This function will be great, to detect devices they are connected very short in the past.
    Manuel
    First Comment Photogenic
    All my devices are iOS. As stated, if I'm logged out, network scan works fine. But if I'm logged in, I have that strange behaviour. 
    I will try with another device

Thanks,

Manuel