New category discussion

PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
✭✭✭✭✭
Unsure if this should go under "Connected Technology" but I was wondering if we should have a "Software\Applications" type category. For example, I'm getting close to renewing my iDrive cloud backup solution and was looking to ask the fingians here what they use, but couldn't quite decide a home for it.

In addition, I was also wondering if there should be some sort for "Lounge", "Watering Hole" or "Water Cooler" category where conversations about totally non technical things can take place (e.g. cars, films & TV, travel and how much fun red balloons are). I know we have "General" but it seems very easy for dscussions to get lost if there's a single group.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Pooh, I did some training on communities prior to launch and advice I got was to only open categories where we'd have 5-10 questions influx per day so as to make them vibrant and populated. 
    So I'm designing a process now for new category selection/election. Propably what I'll do is have a poll on category recommendations from the community category feedback thread and then we'll add one more. (Likely to be either security, software/applications or smart home) and see how it goes. 
    It's hard to gauge the real concrete volume of questions since we're still in beta and once we open this space up to a wider audience we could get many more questions. 
    Let me know what you think!
    Thanks, 
    Violet

Community Manager at Fing

• PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil

As someone who's gone through as much training as I have brains (and I am a bear of very little brain), my only thunk on the issue from "If you build it they shall come" which is probably about as useful in community building as a deflated red balloon... So I shall defer to your experience\training on this!
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepil