How can I get my FingBox to monitor multiple subnets?

RainCaster
RainCaster My deskMember, Beta Tester Posts: 55
10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Awesomes
✭✭
I have my home/business network divided into several subnets. One is for trusted devices on the WIndows domain (192.168.0.X), another is for semi-trusted devices that do not get domain access (cameras, home automation, streaming gadgets - 192.168.10.X), and the third is for all other devices, including guest network access (192.168.20.X). All are running on the same wired network and use several WAPs. 
Tagged:

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,889
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @RainCaster , you would need multiple Fingboxes to monitor multiple subnets.  See this link for Fing's official response.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin_from_Fing
  • RainCaster
    ✭✭
    Thanks Marc. So you are saying that the FingBox is unable to monitor 192.168.0.0/16 even if the total number of devices never exceeds 255?
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,889
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • vulcansheart
    vulcansheart Member, Beta Tester Posts: 117
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 5 Answers 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    The app allows for modifying the default network size via the CIDR number, but the fingbox itself will only scan it's local /24 subnet.
    41 4c 4c 20 59 4f 55 52 20 42 41 53 45 20 41 52 45 20 42 45 4c 4f 4e 47 20 54 4f 20 55 53
    Robin_from_Fing
  • eJony
    eJony Member, Beta Tester Posts: 45
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Answer 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    @RainCaster,
    You could also install the Fing Desktop app beta on a device on each of the subnets. You don't get the full control you do with a FingBox, but you would get a single place where you could see all the devices on each of the subnets.
  • RainCaster
    ✭✭
    Using multiple PCs is far more expensive (OPEX) than the cost of additional FingBoxes. I'm not sure I like either option. For the moment, I have taken my network back to a normal Class C network. I had a spectacular network failure yesterday that turned out to be a WAP that reset itself to the internal address of our firewall. Once I got that cleared up, I decided to stay with the more simplified network, because the monitoring was a problem.
  • eJony
    eJony Member, Beta Tester Posts: 45
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Answer 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    @RainCaster,
    Excellent point about the cost of running multiple PCs. With your technical sophistication I was thinking maybe you had a NAS or other device that could host virtual machines, each VM on its own subnet and each running a copy of Fing Desktop. 

I was going to ask about the benefits of your network configuration because I have contemplated setting up VLANs for various aspects of my network (particular IoT devices). But it sounds like you might recommend what I'm doing by default (monolithic network and be vigilant about monitoring)?
  • vulcansheart
    vulcansheart Member, Beta Tester Posts: 117
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 5 Answers 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2019 #9
    ...I had a spectacular network failure yesterday that turned out to be a WAP that reset itself to the internal address of our firewall. Once I got that cleared up, I decided to stay with the more simplified network, because the monitoring was a problem.
    Oh, buddy. Been there. Done that. Feel your pain.

Also, yes, Fingbox being isolated to a single /24 subnet poses a problem for many networks including my own. So, my fingbox monitors my LAN and I've implemented VLANs on my WLAN interfaces and SSIDs to prevent access to my more sensitive wired network devices.
    41 4c 4c 20 59 4f 55 52 20 42 41 53 45 20 41 52 45 20 42 45 4c 4f 4e 47 20 54 4f 20 55 53
  • RainCaster
    ✭✭
    eJony said:
    @RainCaster,
    Excellent point about the cost of running multiple PCs. With your technical sophistication I was thinking maybe you had a NAS or other device that could host virtual machines, each VM on its own subnet and each running a copy of Fing Desktop. 

I was going to ask about the benefits of your network configuration because I have contemplated setting up VLANs for various aspects of my network (particular IoT devices). But it sounds like you might recommend what I'm doing by default (monolithic network and be vigilant about monitoring)?
    I hadn't thought about adding VMs onto my NAS box. I just bumped the DRAM to 16GB on it, but it is still a lowly Celeron and can't do very much before it runs out of gas.
    Tagged VLANs are a cool thing, but as far as I can tell, they don't work well over dumb switches. While my office has a managed router, there are at least 4 unmanaged (dumb) switches and 2 WAPs in the house to connect all our family devices. At least two of them are managed by the domain controller in the office. Sigh. That only leaves me with seperate subnets as an option for now. Once I'm working again, I can buy the Ubiquity WAPs & switches that will make VLANs work correctly.