Virgin Oomph?

jc74
jc74 Member Posts: 12
10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Founder
✭✭
Hi all,
I move in to a new house in the next week, and we'll be getting the Virgin Ultimate Oomph bundle with 500Mb of Cable service.  I plan to switch the Virgin Superhub in to "Modem Mode" and use my own Security gateway/router from Unifi to protect the network.  Anyone else done similar, and what speeds have you observed from Virgin against what was quoted? 
There are 10 types of people in the world; Those that understand Binary and those that don't.  
GidsterVioletChepil

Comments

• TheCustomCave
    TheCustomCave Member, Beta Tester Posts: 48
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    I'm doing exactly this but on their 350Mb/s package.
    I tend to get similar speeds to the previous package (200/20), in terms of measurable download speed - I suspect that's just down to my own setup.

Measuring via Ookla's speed test over GbE I'm getting around 220Mb/s down, 31Mb/s upload on average via my main desktop - this is with numerous other devices adding their own load to my network and bandwidth.

In general you're at a point where it's not 'hugely' noticable for single user/single web page scenarios compared to their other packages. Where I tend to be glad of it is when I'm uploading something to work while my my daugher and wife both have a Netflix steam each, and there's some online gaming going on. 
    GidsterVioletChepiljc74
  • jc74
    ✭✭
    Awesome, thanks for the response.  Do you use Unifi kit or something else?  
    I have a pile of three Unifi PoE switches, two NanoPro AP's and a USG-PRO waiting for me to install when we move in!  :)

There are 10 types of people in the world; Those that understand Binary and those that don't.  
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Quick tip @jc74 - if you add the username using @ you can draw the person back into the conversion. Example; @VioletChepil

Community Manager at Fing

• jc74
    ✭✭
    edited September 10, 2019 #5
    (commented on wrong post) - and there's no delete post option hiding under the cog!

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh sorry @jc74 I can delete for you. Which post shall I delete? 

Community Manager at Fing