Why does fing scan freeze/not complete?

DjamoDjamoDjamoDjamo Member Posts: 15
10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
Hello, when scanning my home network with the fing app on iphone SE it freezes, typically at 9% or 12% completion.  Furthermore, the moment I press the curly arrow to start the scan, the text of two of the three devices (router and macbook pro) turns grey indicating that the devices are switched off, even though they are not.  What possible explanations are there for this?

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,796
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @DjamoDjamo
    Can you make sure you have the latest version of the Fing App installed. I would like you to make sure that you have enabled all permissions required for the Fing app to operate while signed in to Fing App. Please go to phone settings and set location permissions so Fing App is able to read the SSID correctly. And also, please make sure that other required permissions for Fing app are enabled as well and then open Fing App and run a scan to see the changes.

And, if you are unable to see the location permissions for the Fing App under phone settings then, I would like you to follow these steps and location permissions pop up will appear to be enabled.

1) Open Fing App and go to 'Network' tab

2) Click on the ISP tab and it will open the Network page

3) Clear out the Network information such as Address.

4) Next, to the MAP section, there is a small icon to auto-detect location. Click on the icon and location permissions will be asked.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • DjamoDjamoDjamoDjamo Member Posts: 15

Hi @Robin,

Thank you for your reply and instructions.  On my iphone I went to Settings --> Privacy --> Location Services and changed ‘share my location’ for the Fing app from ‘while using’ to ‘always’.  I have the latest version of the Fing app.

I then opened the app and ran the scan, which froze at 9%.

I then followed your instructions in the app: Network --> Network Page.  There was no information to clear in the first 3 lines.  There was no marker on the map.  Below the map there was the sentence ‘This network is not connected to the internet’, even though I was able to browse the internet on my computer using this network at this moment.  I then closed the Fing app before trying a second time.  This time there was a marker on the map, pointing at central Paris (though I am based over 700 km away near the Spanish border).  I could not click on the marker. I’ve attached screenshots of the two visits to the Network Page for clarity. 

The scans still freeze as before.  Do you have any thoughts? 

admin
    Hi @DjamoDjamo
     From the map, you need to click on the target icon on the right corner instead of the red pin icon. Also, Can you share the operating system on your iPhone with iPhone model?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!

Hi @Robin,

I opened the Fing app and clicked on the target icon on the Network Page (which looked like the ‘no location’ first attachment in my previous post).  A marker appeared on a grey background and a message temporarily appeared at the bottom of the screen asking ‘Mmmmm, where are you?’.  I then chose the network and tried to scan it but the result was ‘No network.  0 devices’.  However, at this moment I was able to use the internet on my computer through the network.

My iphone is an iphone SE, and the version is 11.4.1(15G77).

I appreciate your help in trying to figure this out.

Hi @Robin,  

A little correction - I think that the search returned 'No network' because wifi was disabled on the iphone.  I've enabled wifi and the scan happens as before - the router and the computer appear as switched off in the Fing app and the scan freezes at 9% or 12%.
    admin
    Hi @Robin,  

A little correction - I think that the search returned 'No network' because wifi was disabled on the iphone.  I've enabled wifi and the scan happens as before - the router and the computer appear as switched off in the Fing app and the scan freezes at 9% or 12%.
    Does it happen with every device on which the Fing app is installed or on this particular device? 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Hi @Robin,

The scan only freezes on the iphone SE. I successfully scanned the network with a google pixel phone.  When I swapped the SIM cards, the iphone SE (with the google pixel SIM in it) scanned successfully the first time but then after that froze when scanning.    

In terms of geolocalisation, the map showed erroneous and far-away locations (Bordeaux for the iphone and Cannes for the google pixel), and then when I pressed on the target icon the phones located themselves to the correct place.
    admin

The scan only freezes on the iphone SE. I successfully scanned the network with a google pixel phone.  When I swapped the SIM cards, the iphone SE (with the google pixel SIM in it) scanned successfully the first time but then after that froze when scanning.    

In terms of geolocalisation, the map showed erroneous and far-away locations (Bordeaux for the iphone and Cannes for the google pixel), and then when I pressed on the target icon the phones located themselves to the correct place.
    Are you trying to run the network scan on mobile data or while connecting to Wifi. If you are running the scan against the mobile data then there might be some discrepancy as there will be only one device shows up as connected which will be your device. Can you try to disable the mobile data and then try to run the scan. Also, if you have set the location right on all devices running the Fing App then can you perform scan on both devices and see if there is any difference in results.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    The scan freezes both when data is enabled or disabled on the iphone SE.  Sometimes the devices will be correctly registered as switched on (both with and without mobile data), which wasn't the case before.  Now the map shows up in Montpellier, a new location, and then finds the correct location when the target icon is clicked.  Though sometimes the map does still appear as no location.
    admin
    edited December 2019
    Hi @DjamoDjamo
    I have created a zendesk ticket for you as I might require some personal information about your network in order to investigate. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
This discussion has been closed.