Power the Fingbox via PoE

John
John Member Posts: 110
25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
✭✭✭
edited August 13, 2019 in Fingbox feature requests #1
Would love to see this in a new version of the fingbox.  Power requirement is low and its one less hassle for an install.  Would anyone else like to see this?
PlantuchaJohnTheCustomCavePsychohamstertonextone
4 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• RichardJansma
    RichardJansma Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Likes Founder Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

Yes i would love to see this... i was actually thinking of making such a discussion.

but this would be amazing because iT can then be used with my poe switch without extra cables

Yours Sincerely,

Richard Jansma

Hypnotist, Master Magnetist, Dataist & believer of future technology!

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    PoE was a much requested feature in the early days but since I have not seen this request in a while. I know Domotz does do this. What would be the value from your perspectives? How would you use it? @John anymore details on the value would be helpful too! 

Community Manager at Fing

• petercb
    petercb Member, Beta Tester Posts: 9
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I power my Fingbox (and loads of other devices) by PoE using one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/DSLRKIT-Active-Splitter-Ethernet-Raspberry/dp/B01H37XQP8
    Keeps the wiring neater, saves a power socket, and if I needed to I can power cycle it remotely by logging into my switch.
    TheCustomCaveJohnVioletChepil
  • TheCustomCave
    TheCustomCave Member, Beta Tester Posts: 48
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    petercb said:
    I power my Fingbox (and loads of other devices) by PoE using one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/DSLRKIT-Active-Splitter-Ethernet-Raspberry/dp/B01H37XQP8
    Keeps the wiring neater, saves a power socket, and if I needed to I can power cycle it remotely by logging into my switch.
    You beat me to it. That's how I power mine too.

@VioletChepil in terms of use, it's handy for me as I don't need to have the Fingbox near to a power socket. I can simply run the ethernet cable to where I wish to locate the box.
  • John
    ✭✭✭
    PoE was a much requested feature in the early days but since I have not seen this request in a while. I know Domotz does do this. What would be the value from your perspectives? How would you use it? @John anymore details on the value would be helpful too! 
    I have moved my fing box to various locations, most recently in the loft as it really does not need to be located anywhere visible and I want it hard wired.  This issue is every device nowadays needs a USB power plug, so not least its annoying to have a strip of plugs just for micro USB its also sometimes impractical to have a socket nearby.  The flexibility of POE allows it to be self powered via the Ethernet port (of a POE switch) and removes the need for a power plug.  I wish all devices had it!

petercb said:
    Love this, did not realise it existed!  Still very much prefer POE built in but this is a great alternative!
    VioletChepil
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You could always purchase a POE injector if you needed that feature. 
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepil
  • John
    ✭✭✭
    kltaylor said:
    You could always purchase a POE injector if you needed that feature. 
    I have a PoE switch so don't need the injector just the splitting ;)
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the suggestions on PoE add-ons. As mentioned, we don't have plans to support PoE at this time. 

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just moving this one over to the Fingbox feature requests area :) 

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just turning this one into an ideas thread so others can vote. Cast your vote if you'd like to see implemented too.