Blocking a previously blocked device

VABelleVABelle Member Posts: 56
10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭
edited December 2019 in Fingbox

The device I call Stalker had been blocked and was appearing kind of faded out but all in red. Now it’s still faded out but no longer red letters. Does that mean it’s no longer blocked? The app is not showing “block device” like it was before.

Answers

• eJonyeJony Member, Beta Tester Posts: 45
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Answer 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @VABella,
    When the device is blocked, you'll see an "Unblock device" option when you tap on the device in the device list. It looks like your Fingbox may not be online? Is it connected to the network and does it have blue leds turned on?
  • VABelleVABelle Member Posts: 56
    ✭✭

The blue lights were on solid and it APPEARED to be online. I reset the router password & restarted it at 10 pm. At 1:00 am Stalker had rejoined the network & was blocked (for now) however, Fingbox is identifying my network as a totally different name: wifi-020000000000. I have no idea what’s going on or how it’s being done.

✭✭✭
    @VABelle ,
    It's always a good idea, when you believe someone is on your network without your consent, to immediately change your WiFi passwords (there is usually more than one because modern WiFi transmits on multiple "bands/channels"). 

You can usually see what devices are using WiFi (by logging onto your router, the same place you'll change WiFi passwords). It's a good idea to confirm that "stalker" is connecting via WiFi rather than something that is wired to your network.

✭✭
    Since things were not looking/acting right, I did a factory re-set of modem, with new name & passwords. That was at 8:25 am today. Four hours later Stalker had rejoined my network, identified by Fingbox as Cimsys, macOS. Usually it says the OS is Chromecast. The IP address is the same as my Xfi router but totally different MAC address. Fortunately, Fingbox has it blocked for now.
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm.... 

I have heard that Xfinity turns on a public WiFi hot spot by default. That hot spot is supposed to be completely isolated and separate from the rest of your network and not count against your bandwidth. 

According to Verizon you can shut off this public hot spot. I wonder if "stalker" is just using this hot spot and FingBox can detect people on this "separate" hot spot.

Here's a link to an article about shutting off the hot spot feature (might be worth trying to shut off the hot spot feature, if you have it, to see if that keeps stalker away):
    https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot

Ciaran
    ✭✭
    I have the public hot spot turned off. It's been several weeks since I first posted that question. The stalker continues the attacks but I have figured out that it's automated, precisely 1:01 a.m. & 7:01 a.m. He will usually use the default router IP address & the same description but thanks to my Fingbox, I can see the difference. I used to be able to block it in the router interface, as well as Fingbox, but he caught onto that and changed the MAC address to a generic 00:11:22:AB:CD:EE. Occasionally he'll try using the IP address of my Echo Show or other ones like my iPhone but the MAC address & vendor stays the same, as does the OS, so it's still blocked. Burning question for me is how does he connect to my network in the first place when I have a strong VPN, hidden network name, Xfinity's so-called "Advanced Security" which is supposed to protect against such things? Never mind, that's probably a stupid question.