Feature request: app for OpenWRT to extend FingBox capabilities

UsagiNZ
UsagiNZ Member Posts: 21
10 Comments First Answer 5 Likes Name Dropper
✭✭
Hey People,
I run OpenWRT/LEDE on nearly all my routers, including the one connecting to my ISP.
Would it make sense to extend the FingBoxes capabilities, by having an App that runs physically on the routers?
I'm thinking it could give much better IP accounting and stronger blocking/throttling capabilities.
I have some basic IP accounting running on my main router already, it's great at seeing all the Internet related traffic, but it's not so good at tying devices to users. FingBox/App is great at doing this, so combining the two would be excellent!

Thanks!
gernotVioletChepilUsagiNZ
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Keekeh
    Keekeh Member Posts: 8
    5 Likes Founder Name Dropper First Comment
    ✭✭
    Hi,
    It couldn't be too difficult to port Fing to OpenWRT. I'm running in my GSM router an app to quote users bandwidth,  just the same facility that I asked for Fing in a post but it seems a better idea to port Fing.
    In fact OpenWRT/LEDE+Fing would be similar to FingBox+Fing at a lower cost :-)
    C_f_S
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes could make sense. For our team, it's a matter of prioritizing the requests since of course we have so many. 
    Moving this one over to feature requests (brand new sub-category)! 

Community Manager at Fing

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just turning this one into an ideas thread so others can vote. Cast your vote if you'd like to see implemented too.

Community Manager at Fing

• UsagiNZ
    UsagiNZ Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I wasn't really thinking of porting the FingBox software to OpenWRT (though that does make sense to me - but probably not for Fing, as the monetization gets interesting).  I was thinking more about the potential for MAC/IP/traffic auditing to be captured in OpenWRT and "feed" to the FingBox - providing it with vastly greater reach and granularity.
    The FingBox could also send new firewall rules (block MAC addresses, block IP addresses, block protocols/ports, etc) which would make the FingBox's security much more robust and could apply to wired devices as well.
  • Gidster
    Gidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    @UsagiNZ - I wonder if it's worth updating the title to better reflect what you intended with this new features. 
    Head of Product at Fing