Prevent spoofed MAC addresses from connecting to my network

BooYeahZBooYeahZ Member Posts: 1
We have parental controls set on our Google Nest Wifi but our son who is 15 has figured out how to spoof his MAC address to bypass the restriction. Are there any solutions to this?

Best Answers

• mozarellamozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 104
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Are you using fingbox? If yes, you could activate the auto-block of new devices. Means every time a new device / MAC-address will be connected to your LAN / Wifi, it'll be blocked by fingbox.
    Another idea, you could generate guest-wifi (i don't know the google-devices) and limit the IP-range to one IP just for one device, like @JohnDoe1 mentioned. The idea of guest-wifi is, that you don't need to touch other devices within your LAN.
    eJony
  • eJonyeJony Member, Beta Tester Posts: 45
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Answer 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    @Mozarella uses the same process I do: Automatically block new devices. You do this from the Fing App by tapping on your account, then tapping on Settings of '[your network name]' and turnning on Automatically block new devices. You need to have a Fingbox for this functionality.

When a new device connects to your network you will then have to go into Fing to enable network access (at the same time you can assign to a user and ensure that the description of the device is meaningful to you.

I think this is just a best practice in managing your home network anyway and ensure you know what is going on, near real-time to when it happens. 

Answers

• vulcansheartvulcansheart Member, Beta Tester Posts: 117
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 5 Answers 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hmm, that's an interesting dilemma. My first answer is to take all of his devices away and give him a LeapFrog. My second answer is to deploy a client based solution onto his device(s). I use Sophos Premium at home, which is available on most platforms, and includes white/black listing. I suggest doing a free trial on your own device and see if it works for you. They are having a 50% off sale right now, which is a pretty good deal.

41 4c 4c 20 59 4f 55 52 20 42 41 53 45 20 41 52 45 20 42 45 4c 4f 4e 47 20 54 4f 20 55 53
    BooYeahZCiaranBoombiesHronos
  • JohnDoe1JohnDoe1 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    Assign IP for all your devices. Set the limit on IP range. Schedule access for  your son stuff by IP or MAC.
    Let me know if it works...
    CiaranHronos
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 840
    500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Thank you for the suggestions @vulcansheart & @JohnDoe1 . @BooYeahZ if you find any of these suggestions helpful can you confirm 'Yes' for 'Did this answer the question?' (it will help other users with a similar query quickly identify solutions) Thanks

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    BooYeahZ