FingBox detecting random MAC addresses from Microsoft System Centre Virtual Machine Manager

UsagiNZ
UsagiNZ Member Posts: 21
10 Comments First Answer 5 Likes Name Dropper
✭✭
Hey People,
is anyone else running Hyper-V and SCVMM on the same network as their FingBox?
Have you noticed that there are new devices trying to "join" the network every couple of hours?
I'm seeing new MAC address, which never get an IP and only appear once.  And they're not mapped to a device vendor.
I only see this while I have the SCVMM service running.
I still need to run a packet sniffer on the machine I run SCVMM on, to make sure that's where it's coming from...

Thanks
VioletChepil

Comments

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin let us know if you can help on this one too. 

Community Manager at Fing

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @UsagiNZ
    The devices which is producing random MAC addresses and trying to join is because of your System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) which is creating a random MAC address. Fingbox works well with VPN connection if they have a static MAC address. You need to set a static MAC address to your SCVMM and then it should slow down those alerts. But mainly, the alerts with MAC addresses are corresponding to your application.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    VioletChepil
  • Mirekmal
    Mirekmal Member, Beta Tester Posts: 68
    Second Anniversary 25 Agrees 25 Likes 10 Comments
    ✭✭✭
    I have similar issue with VMware ESXi standalone server. Every restart of VM generates random MAC addresses that vanishes after a while. I have static MAC addresses configured for all my VMs, just to be sure that DHCP assigns static IP to these. WOuld be nice to have some timeout...
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Mirekmal you can request any new features etc. here in this area:
    https://community.fing.com/categories/fingbox-feature-requests

• Mirekmal
    Mirekmal Member, Beta Tester Posts: 68
    Second Anniversary 25 Agrees 25 Likes 10 Comments
    ✭✭✭
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheers @Mirekmal

• UsagiNZ
    UsagiNZ Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Robin said:
    Hi @UsagiNZ
    The devices which is producing random MAC addresses and trying to join is because of your System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) which is creating a random MAC address. Fingbox works well with VPN connection if they have a static MAC address. You need to set a static MAC address to your SCVMM and then it should slow down those alerts. But mainly, the alerts with MAC addresses are corresponding to your application.
    @Robin for responding.

I don't think it's devices within SCVMM (as in VMs and vnets, etc) that are producing the random MAC addresses.  Because, if I stop the SCVMM service (but leave Hyper-V and the VMs, etc running), the random MAC addresses disappear.
    I probably need to log this with Microsoft, as while it's not a bug, it's annoying as heck in Fing, as there's two new "devices on your network" every couple of hours and then they're never seen again...

Thanks