Terrible range with Hub One - any suggestions appreciated

I live in a 2 bedroom detached bungalow with inner solid concrete walls @ TA10 0BH and would need my WiFi range/coverage to cover approx 3000 sq feet over one floor.

Openreach cabinet is 2.7 miles from my home. I have FTTC. 

My ISP is Plusnet, I have the 66Mbps Unlimited Fibre Extra package using the Plusnet Hub One router.

The router is plugged in via a dual phone/internet socket (two plug faceplate). The router is in the main phone socket closest to the phone line entry point into the property. This is located in front east corner of bedroom 2. The phone line pylon is directly outside my property.

I have a 3 year old basic Edimax WiFi Extender in the hall, half way between router and living room, connected to the router via WiFi using the WPS button but this rarely stays connected nor is it strong enough when it does.

I don’t know whether to use a mesh network, AP’s or power line adapters. I also wouldn’t know which equipment is suitable. I don’t even know which router I should replace my ISP one for.

I really don’t know what to do or what to use to rectify this, to have hassle free connectivity.

Robin_Ex_Fing[Deleted User]

Answers

• vulcansheart
    vulcansheart Member, Beta Tester Posts: 117
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 5 Answers 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2019 #2
    Wow, that's a lot of information to digest. So ultimately, your question is mesh vs. distributed AP's vs. powerline. In my opinion, mesh is not an option for you simply because of your solid concrete interior walls. That leaves wired connectivity options. Powerline does work, but it's really a last resort option. What other kinds of wired media do you have throughout the structure? Is there coax?
    If you do have coax into each room, or the common rooms at least, this could be an option to hardwire some access points:

41 4c 4c 20 59 4f 55 52 20 42 41 53 45 20 41 52 45 20 42 45 4c 4f 4e 47 20 54 4f 20 55 53
    Sageb1BoombiesEarthly_1
  • Boombies
    Boombies Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    Perhaps you should also look at a different router. There are many forums that discuss "best routers for concrete walls".
    Also, While dual band routers are the way to go in choosing a router, if you are dealing with a brick or concrete wall, you will need to pay more attention to the bands. Normally, people prefer the 5GHz because it is less congested than the 2.4GHz band. But 5GHz is a higher band with shorter range. Therefore, you will want to have most of your devices stay on the 2.4GHz band which might be more congested, but it also moves, which the 5GHz frequency might not after battling to make it through the brick walls and failing. 
    Source: https://www.riverstonenet.com/best-wireless-router-for-penetrating-walls/
    vulcansheartEarthly_1
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Earthly_1
    Earthly_1 Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    @vulcansheart No unfortunately I do not have coax running through my property. Thank you for answering 🙏
    @Boombies Yes, I would like to change my router but have no idea 💡 which to purchase. There is such conflicting advice everywhere I look. Thank you for answering also 🙏
    I think my best bet is to get a network engineer in to plan, design and install a system for me. At least they will have experience of workable solutions within similar environments and also have proven solutions - or at least one would hope! 

Thanks all & Happy Holidays 🥳🎁😜
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.