OLD VERSIONS OF FING DESKTOP BETA: 0.6.0 - 1.0.0

CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,179
1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
admin
edited April 2020 in Beta Testing

New version of Fing Desktop 0.6.0

Hi all, thank you for your continued feedback & testing. We have been listening and have started to implement some changes and improvements based on your feedback. This is a work in progress, so bear with us. But please keep the feedback coming.

Thanks to your support, we are happy to announce the release of a new version of Fing Desktop.
Here the updates and fixes in this new version 0.6.0.
  • New feature! To get advice on your connectivity issues, you can now share your health check report with members of the Fing Community.
  • The Fing Desktop will no longer wake up your Windows laptop during sleep.
  • Device scan results can now be sorted by device name.
  • Solved issues with health checks in VPN connections and Mac OS.
  • Network details can now be edited during scan.

Please open your Fing Desktop to get an auto-update and enjoy the new version.
Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
Carlo_from_Fing

Comments

• JayGJayG Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    Photogenic 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2019
    It would be helpful to tell folks this is a quiet operation, and takes a good bit of time once the client has been open, for it to kick off.
  • MayaMaya Member, Beta Tester Posts: 41
    5 Answers 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Yes an option to check would be very nice.
    But Violet said to close and reopen the app and it'll update sooner, within 10 minutes or so. It just worked for me!
    I understood that if you leave it running it can take hours...
    JayGCiaran
  • JayGJayG Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    Photogenic 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment
    @Maya thanks! I actually amended my post, after leaving it open and moving on to other things and it kicked off on it's own. All about setting expectations, and a mention of that wait factor in the announcement emails wouldn't hurt. :smile:
    Ciaran
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,179
    admin
    @JayG thanks for this feedback, We will include in future comms
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    JayG
  • mashevloffmashevloff Member, Beta Tester Posts: 15
    10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic
    Glad I read this as I was going to report that it doesn't auto-update
    CPKokoska
  • headpheadp localhostMember, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    Installed fine as a clean install, not an upgrade. MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. Scanned network fine. Added 'Placements' for a bunch of devices. Performed an 'Improve recognition of devices. So far so good.
  • stevebythebaystevebythebay Member, Beta Tester Posts: 16
    10 Comments Photogenic
    edited December 2019
    Mac Catalina says the download is damaged.  By the way, had opened the 0.57 version but it did not perform an update.  Now I have neither one.
  • donfingdonfing Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic
    How do I download Fing Desktop?   
  • FabianFabian Member, Beta Tester Posts: 51
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    0.6.0 didn't fix the ID'ing of my AirPort Extreme and Express as iOS and macOS.
    I didn't notice it before, but 2 of my devices, my son's iPhone X and my iPad mini 4, I had to rename them.  Was something not carried over?
    admin
    @Fabian, the issues/changes that were included in this release are included on the initial post. We are receiving a lot of feedback (which is fantastic) of things that can be improved, suggestions etc. we are doing our utmost to get to all feedback. Thanks again for your input.
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    seh2000
  • atomicboyatomicboy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 67
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I installed the latest Windows Fing Beta Desktop with only 1 issue. This issue is not unique to the Fing Desktop version as it happens often when using my 3 Fingboxes and my iOS app. I get a Malware site warning from my Untangle Firewall Appliance (see below). The site (" http://o.ss2.us" )
    is categorized as having Malware. The Web Filter uses Bright Cloud ("Webroot Brightcloud®").
    My various Fing apps and device seem to continue to work despite being blocked ... it would be worth Fing folk looking into this.

The following event occurred on the Untangle Server @ 2019-12-05 08:56:11.105

Malware Sites website visit blocked:

Web Filter blocked http://o.ss2.us//MEowSDBGMEQwQjAJBgUrDgMCGgUABBSLwZ6EW5gdYc9UaSEaaLjjETNtkAQUv1%2B30c7dH4b0W1Ws3NcQwg6piOcCCQCnDkpMNIK3fw%3D%3D (Malware Sites)

Causal Event: WebFilterEvent

{

"reason": "BLOCK_CATEGORY",

"appName": "web_filter",

"requestLine": "GET http://o.ss2.us//MEowSDBGMEQwQjAJBgUrDgMCGgUABBSLwZ6EW5gdYc9UaSEaaLjjETNtkAQUv1%2B30c7dH4b0W1Ws3NcQwg6piOcCCQCnDkpMNIK3fw%3D%3D",

"sessionEvent": {

"entitled": true,

"hostname": "192.168.1.18",

"CServerPort": 80,

"protocol": 6,

"protocolName": "TCP",

"localAddr": "/192.168.1.18",

"serverLatitude": 47.54,

"SServerAddr": "/99.86.61.163",

"remoteAddr": "/99.86.61.163",

"serverIntf": 1,

"CClientAddr": "/192.168.1.18",

"serverCountry": "US",

"sessionId": 103229125052271,

"SClientAddr": "/192.168.1.18",

"clientCountry": "XL",

"CClientPort": 54775,

"policyRuleId": 0,

"timeStamp": "2019-12-05 08:56:10.814",

"serverLongitude": -122.3032,

"clientIntf": 2,

"policyId": 1,

"SClientPort": 54775,

"bypassed": false,

"SServerPort": 80,

"CServerAddr": "/99.86.61.163",

"tagsString": ""

},

"timeStamp": "2019-12-05 08:56:11.105",

"flagged": true,

"blocked": true,

"category": "Malware Sites",

"ruleId": 56,

"categoryId": 56

}

This is an automated message sent because the event matched the configured Event Rules.

✭✭
    I installed the latest Windows Fing Beta Desktop with only 1 issue. This issue is not unique to the Fing Desktop version as it happens often when using my 3 Fingboxes and my iOS app. I get a Malware site warning from my Untangle Firewall Appliance (see below). The site (" http://o.ss2.us" )
    is categorized as having Malware. The Web Filter uses Bright Cloud ("Webroot Brightcloud®").
    My various Fing apps and device seem to continue to work despite being blocked ... it would be worth Fing folk looking into this.

The following event occurred on the Untangle Server @ 2019-12-05 08:56:11.105

Malware Sites website visit blocked:

Web Filter blocked http://o.ss2.us//MEowSDBGMEQwQjAJBgUrDgMCGgUABBSLwZ6EW5gdYc9UaSEaaLjjETNtkAQUv1%2B30c7dH4b0W1Ws3NcQwg6piOcCCQCnDkpMNIK3fw%3D%3D (Malware Sites)

Causal Event: WebFilterEvent

{

"reason": "BLOCK_CATEGORY",

"appName": "web_filter",

"requestLine": "GET http://o.ss2.us//MEowSDBGMEQwQjAJBgUrDgMCGgUABBSLwZ6EW5gdYc9UaSEaaLjjETNtkAQUv1%2B30c7dH4b0W1Ws3NcQwg6piOcCCQCnDkpMNIK3fw%3D%3D",

"sessionEvent": {

"entitled": true,

"hostname": "192.168.1.18",

"CServerPort": 80,

"protocol": 6,

"protocolName": "TCP",

"localAddr": "/192.168.1.18",

"serverLatitude": 47.54,

"SServerAddr": "/99.86.61.163",

"remoteAddr": "/99.86.61.163",

"serverIntf": 1,

"CClientAddr": "/192.168.1.18",

"serverCountry": "US",

"sessionId": 103229125052271,

"SClientAddr": "/192.168.1.18",

"clientCountry": "XL",

"CClientPort": 54775,

"policyRuleId": 0,

"timeStamp": "2019-12-05 08:56:10.814",

"serverLongitude": -122.3032,

"clientIntf": 2,

"policyId": 1,

"SClientPort": 54775,

"bypassed": false,

"SServerPort": 80,

"CServerAddr": "/99.86.61.163",

"tagsString": ""

},

"timeStamp": "2019-12-05 08:56:11.105",

"flagged": true,

"blocked": true,

"category": "Malware Sites",

"ruleId": 56,

"categoryId": 56

}

This is an automated message sent because the event matched the configured Event Rules.

admin

Hi All,

Thank you again for your testing to date on the Fing Desktop Beta. We have been busy collating the feedback (apologies if we have not gotten back to everybody just yet). We are releasing version 0.6.1 today.

Fixes and improvements made:

• New feature: Ping, Jitter and Packet loss in speed test, and added Gaming score
    • New feature: compare providers shows current ISP stats
    • Fixed bad encoding of special characters
    • Fixed installation bug on Windows
    • Fixed: editing can crash discovery
    • Fixed: invalid access did not redirect to sign-in

Still more to do, but we are making progress 😊

Thanks again,

Ciaran

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
  • AkemoiAkemoi Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    Hi,
    How can I download it ?
    Kind regards,
    Akemoi
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,227
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Akemoi
    You can leave the Fing Dekstop idle for 10 mins and it will start upgrading to the latest version itself?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    leland
  • jciekjciek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    The Fing Desktop application doesn't connect to an existing Fingbox. This feature should be available as per the mobile devices as it is very practical to do the same on a Desktop. Thanks
  • WiZZardWiZZard Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    edited December 2019
    So far the Fing Desktop application works just fine.  Waiting on the next drop after 0.6.1.  So far no additional updates installed since 0.6.1.
    Ciaran
    admin
    @WiZZard great stuff, thanks for the feedback. 0.6.1 was the third release so far and we are continuing to work on the feedback and improve. There will be more coming. Thanks so much for testing.
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
  • stevebythebaystevebythebay Member, Beta Tester Posts: 16
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Fing 0.6.4 from download page is still "damaged" according to Mac OS Catalina
    admin
    edited January 2020

Hi All,

We are happy to announce a brand-new version of our Fing Desktop Beta. Here all the updates and fixes on which we have worked for this new release:
    • New - Fing can start at system boot and then stay on system tray to show status/notifications about connectivity
    • New - Continuous connectivity healthcheck with notifications: Fing keeps an eye on your connectivity and sends you an alert when something changes
    • New - Inline help and documentation for each connectivity check, including technical spec, user friendly description and possible resolution actions
    • New - Integration with Internet outages: can see both current and home ISP stats; can edit/assign home ISP; receive notifications of widespread Internet outages of your home ISP
    • New - Rate and send a full review after speed tests
    • Fix - IP column size in device table
    • Fix - Date format in device table
    • Fix - Device detail page shows all available protocol info (DHCP, Bonjour, UPnP, NetBIOS, SNMP)
    • Fix - Can now compare providers also if not catalogued
    • Fix - Filtering for starred and flagged devices
    Please open your Fing Desktop to get an auto-update and enjoy the new version. Please note that the automatic update may take up to 8 hours to appear. If you would like to access the most up to date version immediately, you can download the Fing Desktop and install overwrite it.

Thank you again for your precious testing and feedback!

Ciaran
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
  • RCHarrisonRCHarrison Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    Thanks for fixing the IP Column width! Do you already have a suggestion to either make all columns dynamically or manually expandable? Now seeing the same issue with Device Name and Last Change both columns truncated.
    Thanks
    Michael_L
    admin

*** BUG ALERT ***:   In the new version of the Fing Desktop 0.7.7, we have identified that there is a minor bug for the notifications order, whereby the order is inverted. It has been fixed and the correct order will be restored in the next release

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All

As ever, thank you for your great feedback to date. We have been working hard on some fixes for Fing desktop based on this feedback, both UI/cosmetics and also engine (fix crash, work good with VPN, customize errors, etc.).

•           Discovery corrupted error

•           'Back' option on Recognition page

•           Customise Column Width: MAC Addresses getting cut off

•           Cant filter: Standard, Simplified and Technical

•           VPN compatibility

•           Task bar alert (see below)

•           Larger help buttons on the ‘health checks’ display (text also revised). See below.

Please open your Fing Desktop to get an auto-update and enjoy the new version. Please note that the automatic update may take up to 8 hours to appear. If you would like to access the most up to date version immediately, you can download the Fing Desktop and install overwrite it.

Thank you again for your feedback,

Ciaran, Robin & all of the Fing team

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    admin

This week, we released version 0.7.7 of Fing Desktop. However, we quickly realised that  in the new version of the Fing Desktop 0.7.7, we have identified a minor bug for the notifications order, whereby the order is inverted. It has been fixed and the correct order will be restored in the next release.

Hence, we have released Fing Desktop 0.7.8 to address this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reminder - Fing Desktop 0.7.7 update:

Hi All

As ever, thank you for your great feedback to date. We have been working hard on some fixes for Fing desktop based on this feedback, both UI/cosmetics and also engine (fix crash, work good with VPN, customize errors, etc.).

•           Discovery corrupted error

•           'Back' option on Recognition page

•           Customise Column Width: MAC Addresses getting cut off

•           Cant filter: Standard, Simplified and Technical

•           VPN compatibility

•           Task bar alert (see below)

•           Larger help buttons on the ‘health checks’ display (text also revised). See below.

Please open your Fing Desktop to get an auto-update and enjoy the new version. Please note that the automatic update may take up to 8 hours to appear. If you would like to access the most up to date version immediately, you can download the Fing Desktop and install overwrite it.

Thank you again for your feedback,

Ciaran, Robin & all of the Fing team

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    ✭✭
    My Windows Desktop 0.7.7 will not open so I am looking for a link to the latest 0.7.8 download. I searched but was unable to find it.
    Can you please provide it? thanks
    admin
    It should automatically update, what exactly is happening? Are you clicking on the icon from the desktop or from the system tray? Have you tried uninstalling and downloading again? (its the same download as initially)

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
  • seanchigginsseanchiggins Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Question, does the Fing Mac app scan the network in the background?
    admin
    Question, does the Fing Mac app scan the network in the background?
    As of now, No. It does not scan the network in background. This can be put as a suggestion for Fing Desktop. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • pcsasdpcsasd Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary Photogenic
    Do you have a download link for beta desktop Mac OS  or is this invite only?
    admin
    pcsasd said:
    Do you have a download link for beta desktop Mac OS  or is this invite only?
    You can find the download links here
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    atomicboy
    ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I am unable to get the Fing windows desktop app to open no matter where I try to open it. I did try popping open task manager and I did not see Fing running in it.
    I have had 2 PC lock ups over the last couple of days but I am not sure why. When I did uninstall the Fing app, it indicated it was in fact running and it was 0.7.8
    So now I need a link to load it on again. I see Robin provided it ... thanks!

I am up and running on my Windows 10 PC again. thanks.
    Ciaran