Identify All Devices

SecOps
SecOps Member Posts: 1

Has anyone has issues identifying all of the devices scanned by Fing?

Tagged:
VioletChepil

Comments

• Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Identifying which parts? MAC addresses, manufacturers, Names etc? Or just wholesale 'it's not there'?
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Moving this over to Fing app category 

Community Manager at Fing

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This could be from MAC addresses anonymization on iOS 11 above perhaps? Have a look here at this article: 
    https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/cant-fing-see-mac-addresses-ios-11/

• idea2go
    idea2go Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Founder
    ✭✭✭
    I have four fingbox networks.  Two of them are being managed very casually in that they are residences with a lot of extended family / guest / vendor traffic so I am not aggressively attempting to identify every device I receive notice of.  However when there are recurring visits (family) or long duration devices (many days or weeks) I try to identify them and assign to the proper user.   One user is Smart Home where I assign all the devices such as doorbells, TVs, voice personal aids, etc.   I try not to bug the families too much with questions so I often try to sleuth out a device based on manufacturer, MAC address etc and I can definitely tell you that it’s not easy or explicit.   In particular one heuristic I use is to look at the history of a device (times/dates online) and find other devices with similar timings.  If I succeed then it’s likely a personal device that comes and goes when that person visits.
    VioletChepilGidster
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Pooh and @idea2go - let us know if you have any more details @SecOps

• ksig1971
    ksig1971 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    I'm a new user and was seeing four different ip addresses that I couldn't reconcile with devices in my house.  Using the Fing app from within my iPad and then digging into the specifics of one of these items, I saw the reference to telnet and realized that I have 4 wireless phone that all connect with my  router.   So at least I've solved that mystery
    VioletChepil
  • Hovey
    Hovey Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    Similar here.
    I have an unidentified 'premium phone', an 'unknown' and several amazon devises I cannot identify.
    Re the premium phone: when I 'remove device' it disappears for a short time and then reappears - is this correct?
    How do I trace it?

VioletChepil
  • Hovey
    Hovey Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    I have reposted this as a new post
  • Larry
    Larry Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    I am frustrated by the random nature of finding mac addresses and then the failure of the exporting to include "enter additional notes" field.
    I have finally got most of my network scanned with the latest version of iPhone fing (8.3.1) but am frustrated that some mac addresses show up as 20:0....0
    Now in combination with content from my Telstra Sart Modem Gen 2, I have managed to get all but one Mac address.  And have stored that Mac address in the "more additional notes" field, only to find that it is not reported in the html, csv (xml useless as have no easy way to read).
    I have read the article Violet quotes above about IOS 11.  But if I understand the article, it would mean that all MAC addresses are not reported.  Which is not the case.
    So - flaw (have already reported much of this to support and they have been good up to the point of the new release) or need feature improvement?
    Like the community but hard to search.  So if this is in the wrong place, happy for it to be moved.
    Larry
    2019AG30 14:20 Sydney 
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin can you help a bit more on @Larry question? 

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    There may also be some helpful information in this thread about ways to identify generic devices: https://community.fing.com/discussion/500/can-i-identify-a-generic-device-using-the-ip-and-mac-address#latest

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Larry I've just checked in on exporting notes and this is not a bug but rather a limitation. I invite you to submit your feature request here:
    https://community.fing.com/categories/feature-requests
    Others can upvote if they also like the idea. 

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,012
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Larry
    The Export feature is an old feature and we have not changed or updated in terms of working since we implemented this feature and we have been evaluating to improve them in a consistent way. Before 8.3.0, the export feature did not work on various formats on Apple devices. The export feature does export the information on best effort basis and Additional notes were never a part of the Export feature.
    If you want you can try to login to web app: https://app.fing.io/ and on the top Right Corner, there is an export function which will provide you CSV/HTML/XML format to export all devices but it will not contain notes information which you have manually stored.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    HronosVioletChepil
  • Hronos
    Hronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Robin Web App! that what I was missing hehehe
    I was looking deep into the Mobile App and didn't find it  :D
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepil
  • normx
    normx Member Posts: 1
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    i can export from the mobile app, but most of the values in column 3 (names of devices) are missing...is there any plan to fix this?
    Ciaran
  • Ciaran
    Ciaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    @normx thanks for the feedback. We are currently doing a lot of work on device recogntion (currently running a Fing Desktop Beta, specifically for this reason). Once completed, this should be beneficial in relation to your suggestion. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)