How do some networks hide their interior devices?

Ooron
Ooron Member Posts: 5
5 Likes Founder First Comment Photogenic
✭✭
Hi all. I noticed that sometimes Fing App is not able to scan all devices in a network. This often happens when I try to scan public networks but sometimes also smaller private networks prevent Fing App from scanning. Does anyone know why this is like that or how I probably can fix this?
VioletChepil

Comments

• Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2019 #2
    If the Fingbox works it's magic using a ping, then that's easily blockable (by having remote devices block ICMP packets), however I wasn't myself aware if there's any way to block an arp packet scanner (which I'd personally have thought the Fingbox would do).

In addition, many devices in a public network may be behind routers/firewalls and/or natted.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepilOoron
  • idea2go
    idea2go Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Founder
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly related, but when a network shows us as 255 generic devices (one per IP address) and a few scattered actual devices I’ve often wished I could longpress or swipe on one of the generics to hide all of them.   Sorting helps somewhat but it’s not ideal.
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    hi @Ooron a few more details on this one about why all devices may not be able to be scanned. 
    The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognized correctly e.g. 
    - Limited information being offered by specific devices. 
     - Location Permissions are not enabled for Fing App.
    Are all devices connected to your network on which the Fing App is currently connected to? If you are connected to the 5ghz network and Fing is connected to the 2.4ghz network even though they all have the same name, you might not see the devices connected under the Device tab. And, if the router has multiple network interface which provides multiple frequencies(2.4Ghz and 5Ghz), and the devices are able to connect to multiple access points then you will see multiple names but only one will be active at a time and others will be greyed out.  
    Let me know if you need any further details! 

Community Manager at Fing

• Mike_Watson
    Mike_Watson Member Posts: 26
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    "If you are connected to the 5ghz network and Fing is connected to the 2.4ghz network even though they all have the same name, you might not see the devices connected under the Device tab"
    -------------
    I also have problems detection some devices on my own network. I have my Fingbox connected via cable to my router, and then I guess it does not matter if my devices is connected to 2.4ghz or 5ghz...or ?

• Mike_Watson
    "If you are connected to the 5ghz network and Fing is connected to the 2.4ghz network even though they all have the same name, you might not see the devices connected under the Device tab"
    -------------
    I also have problems detection some devices on my own network. I have my Fingbox connected via cable to my router, and then I guess it does not matter if my devices is connected to 2.4ghz or 5ghz...or ?

• Mike_Watson
    -------------

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Mike_Watson What kind of devices are not being identified by the Fing App? Are the devices connected to any different access point not monitored by Fingbox? 

Community Manager at Fing