Could it be realized that Fingbox limits the download and upload speed for selected devices?

Ooron
Ooron Member Posts: 5
5 Likes Founder First Comment Photogenic
✭✭
Hi all. With this question: "Could it be realized that Fingbox limits the download and upload speed for selected devices?" I mean, would it be possible that for example that a device always only gets 1 mbps if it needs internet instead of letting it access all the download and upload speed the network got? This would be really helpful especially for networks which have not got much download and upload speed. I hope you know more details about that than me and please tell if you also would like to see a feature like that in the future
0 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2019 #2

I'd imagine that's somewhat unlikely. Fingbox I believe works using ARP poisoning whereby blocking is simply achieved by telling the blocked device that the Fingbox is the Gateway as opposed to the real one. It then takes the blocked device's packets and discards them.

I'd imagine you'd really need a firewall, prosumer switch or a AP/Mesh device capable of network management. It may also be possible to do something like this with domotz. @VioletChepil would you be able to chime in here with your domotz knowledge?

Please note, I'm just a humble bear and don't work for Fing. I may be totally wrong about all this. I also like red balloons...

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    BryceOoron
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,660
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You could also check to see if your router supports device prioritization. for example som Linksys device do and will limit bandwidth on those devices that are not on a user configured white list.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Ooron
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Pooh I need to check-in with Domotz on this and whether they do any bandwidth throttling in recent updates. Will give an update soon. I don't recall that they do but will double check. 
    In terms of Fingbox functionality offering this feature, as others mentioned it would require constant re-routing of traffic through the box which could cause network slow downs since we're not on the router if that makes sense. We only want to re-route the traffic during specific actions as some devices that permanently do this make the network so slow most people turn them off. 

Community Manager at Fing

Ooron
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil , perhaps this could be a direction for your next product, a proper Fingbox Router?  All the functions of Fing plus router functionality. I do like the idea of an all in one device. 
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    We did explore router options. But it is a very competitive landscape @Marc. Think a better avenue would be router partnership I guess! 

Pooh
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    We did explore router options. But it is a very competitive landscape @Marc. Think a better avenue would be router partnership I guess! 
    Good point, though I would wonder if a partner would overshadow your brand with their "big name" or worse, make you irrelevant by adding similar features to their routers over time.  Tricky game to play I suppose and another reason why you folks have not gone down that route yet.
    Pooh
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Turning this one into an ideas thread. Upvote if you are interested! 
    Though I have to think at this point this may be an unlikely or should I say very forward thinking request. I'm not sure about the feasibility of this without being on the router. It would be tough to deliver on user experience without slowing down the network.