Privacy and fing

keithkeith Member, Beta Tester Posts: 64
25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper First Answer
✭✭✭
Thinking about our connected world.  
My iot devices live on my home network. 
Their apps live on my phone, the apps usually require registration in some foreign country. 
If I change a device state, turn on or turn off, that should be possible with no communication outside my network, but, is it? 
Now the stupid parts, IFTTT and fing, know I did something, does that information exist only on my network or all over the internet? 
I have this naive idea that somehow fing can protect me from this world that knows everything that happens on my network. 
Is there any real way fing could identify/control locally originated external coms that are originated by my devices or apps or some in embedded software? 

Comments

• PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    According to the Fing.IO privacy policy:
    Fing is a global business. To offer a consistent service to you, we manage the Services from servers provided by a third party cloud service provider that are located in Ireland and Germany. The information that we collect from you may be transferred to and stored on these servers. It may also be processed by staff operating in other countries within the European Economic Area, who work for Fing or for one of our suppliers. To provide you with the Services when you are on the go, we may need to store, process and transmit information in locations around the world from where you are accessing our services - including those outside your country. 

Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your information, we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted to the App. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access. For any questions about the security of your personal information, you can contact us at  [email protected]

This being the case, it's probably more than likely that there's going to be some information stored on a cloud server that originated from your FingBox and it's activity. This is how I'd imagine you can check your settings remotely, and also be informed when your FingBox loses connectivity (due to a Power outage etc.)

If you use a service such as IFTTT then it's an absolute given that any state data resides on one or more cloud services.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tried twice to reply to you - for some reason the forum software decided to wisk both replies off for approval!

Short answer is - yes, I think your information is going to be stored on one or more external cloud based servers.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    keith
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,627
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @keithatpda, read the privacy statement of the devices you own to see what information is collected.  They should state what they do with the data they collect from your internet of thing devices.  Many can and do share with 3rd parties, either randomized or with identifiers.  This especially true with the free services but can also apply to paid services like Amazon, Google etc...  Fing can inform you give you some detailed information as to what's happening within your network, open ports, nearby devices etc but its not going to stop something from communicating unless you use fingbox to halt communications from it completely.  Note most home routers w/firewalls can provide modest protection from the outside world but its not in any way comprehensive.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    keith
  • keithkeith Member, Beta Tester Posts: 64
    25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper First Answer
    ✭✭✭
    I have some doubt privacy statements have any value. 
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Moving this thread over to the Fing category! 

Community Manager at Fing