Fing app showing the wrong WiFi SSID

DaveFDaveF Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
I have a new router with a new WiFi SSID but the Fing app (Android) and the browser interface keep showing the old one which is now switched off. I cannot find any way to tell it what the new one is. Can anyone enlighten me please?
Thanks,
Dave

Answers

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,474 admin
    Hi @DaveF
    I believe you need to remove the old AP.

Instructions on how to remove BSSIDs:
    1. Open the Fing App
    2. Click on the Network Tab
    3. Click on the Network Details section (This is the directly under your network name)
    4. Scroll down and locate the Access Point Section
    5. Press the 'X' beside each BSSID that you want to remove. 

If you remove an entry accidentally, you will be asked to re-trust it. If you have multiple access points in your house as well, then you will be able to add them. 

Here's how to add APs:
    We have enabled the feature on Fingbox to add the access point for Intrusion Protection. In order to add the access point for V1-Fingbox, first you need to be connected to the access point network which you want to add. Then open the Fing App and choose the Fingbox network from the dropdown list. Go to the ‘Network’ tab and select either Wi-Fi Intrusion Protection or Wi-Fi Performance and you will be able to add the Access point for the current network your device is connected to. You can only add the Access point either from the Wi-Fi Performance tab or Wi-Fi Intrusion Protection tab. 

After Adding the access point, you will receive the New Access point alert and you need to accept it as a trusted gateway and the access point will be added successfully. 

Hopefully this helps!
    Let me know any other details you may need.
    Cheers,
    Violet

Community Manager at Fing

• DaveFDaveF Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    Hi Violet,
    THank you for your reply. I've removed all the old BSSIDs but it still insists that the SSID is the old one, not the new one, even though it is disconnected and switched off. It simply doesn't want to acknowledge the new one for some reason.
    Regards,
    Dave
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 223 admin
    Hi @DaveF
    Unfortunately, as of now, there is no way to change the name of the SSID with the current SSID. The problem here is due to the fact that the SSID is saved in the network when the user perform the scan using the Fing App (also when onboarding the Fingbox). After this 1st scan, all other scans are being done by the Fingbox itself, but since the Fingbox is connected through a wired LAN cable, it's not capable of detecting new SSID(s) in the network. At the moment, apart from uninstalling the Fingbox and reinstalling it, there is no way of updating the SSID.
    Thank you for your answer. I'm somewhat reluctant to uninstall and reinstall the Fingbox given that it's all working fine - apart from the incorrect SSID. I wonder if I connect it to one of my wi-fi extenders would that enable it to "see" the new SSID via the extender?
    DaveF said:
    Thank you for your answer. I'm somewhat reluctant to uninstall and reinstall the Fingbox given that it's all working fine - apart from the incorrect SSID. I wonder if I connect it to one of my wi-fi extenders would that enable it to "see" the new SSID via the extender?
    the wifi extender is sharing the same network gateway as the main router so in that case as well, Fingbox will show the original SSID name on which it was activated.
    Ah yes - of course. Out of interest, how would I go about uninstalling and reinstalling the Findbox? Do I need to perform some sort of factory reset? Thanks again for your help.
    @DaveF
    You can follow these steps to re-install the Fingbox. 
    • Locate the network name in the middle of the top bar of the screen – click on the drop-down arrow next to this.
    • This will take you through to the My Networks screen which contains a list of all your networks.
    • Swipe left on the Network with the Fingbox on it and click on the Deactivate that appears. This will remove the network you have already configured, freeing up Fingbox to be assigned to a new network.
    • After you have deactivated the Fingbox, you will be able to connect the box to the new network you’d like it to be on.
    • Just connect it to the new network you’d like to monitor and complete the onboarding again for your new network.
    I was able to complete the first two steps (above) but despite a series of firm left swipes on the old network it refused to move and so there was no Deactivate for me to click (this was on the Android app). Am I missing something?

Subsequently I tried again, this time on my iPad and it all worked fine so it looks like the Android version might be at fault. Anyway it's all sorted now so many thanks for your help.