CLOSED: What do you think of the Fing community categories?

VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in Community Updates

THIS THREAD WAS PART OF THE FING COMMUNITY FOUNDERS BADGE AND IS NOW CLOSED TO NEW COMMENTS.

THE COMMUNITY FOUNDERS BADGE IS NOW CLOSED, AND ALL REMAINING BADGES WILL BE PROCESSED.

This thread is now closed to new comments. If you are wondering where your badge is - or need any help please DM me here: https://community.fing.com/profile/VioletChepil

Thanks for joining the Fing community.

To start the community, we've developed some categories to help organize questions. The categories we have are related to our products and the broader topics of devices, troubleshooting, smart home and security.

These are the categories we've got live on the community so far.

• Fing App
  • Fingbox
  • Announcements
  • Welcome & Community Feedback
  • Connectivity
  • Devices & Security
  • General Discussion and Off-Topic

What do you think of the categories we've developed?

Anything missing? Anything we should add?

Let me know your feedback in the comments below.

Community Manager at Fing

GidsterLeeJbakshKibaKurosakiUKgo_robot_goIan_AlmightyJEspoBosjrtebashamCryptoMinkytehCoopsKING_CRACKER78

Comments

• JackJack Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I agree it would be useful to see at a glance the new features as they are added and if any issues are resolved!
    VioletChepilMrbob54StefanSKGeorgeChiesa
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point! @Jack or @Ajax thanks for the feedback. I was planning to add Release notes here: https://community.fing.com/categories/announcements I'm going to clarify the category description for that one :) Thanks a lot

• Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 273
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks good to me.  If I think of any more I'll add them here.
    VioletChepil
  • Mrbob54Mrbob54 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    5 Likes Photogenic Founder First Comment
    ✭✭

I like the categories but agree about adding one for version updates.

VioletChepilStefanSK
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Mrbob54 I've added release notes into the description for this category over here! https://community.fing.com/categories/announcements 
    Announcements & Company News
    Fing App, Fingbox and company announcements. Release notes and general company updates.

Mrbob54
  • KayJayKayJay Member, Beta Tester Posts: 38
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭

Haha! I’m too late to the discussion. I was going to agree with @Jack and @Ajax regarding release notes.

Thanks @VioletChepil

VioletChepilGidster
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh @KayJay it's never too late. I've implemented that change, but also great to always get more thoughts from people to see demand for things too! 

KayJay
  • sschmalsschmal Member Posts: 6
    5 Likes Founder Photogenic First Comment
    ✭✭
    Great community start and thank you so much for setting it up, I would defiantly like to see a topic for release notes. Thanks 
    VioletChepil
  • JxckJxck Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic 5 Likes Founder First Comment
    ✭✭

Looks pretty good to me, maybe a category for sharing people's setup/network of devices?

VioletChepilgfondeur
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @sschmal thanks a lot! Yes I modified the announcement category so we'll add in there for now. I guess trying to not spread over too many categories and seeing what the biggest posting trends are from the community. 
    @Jxck I absolutely LOVE this idea. For now, could we put in "Devices and Security" category and tag #homenetworksetup - then we could see how many we get. Do you have an example of yours you could post there? You could start a thread "Home Network Set-up" and I could help you on it. Then we could ask people to submit them there. I'm curious to see an example of this one. 
    https://community.fing.com/categories/devices 

• LeeLee Member, Beta Tester Posts: 22
    10 Comments Name Dropper Founder 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    Other than the updates, I cannot think of anything else at the moment that needs to be added.
    VioletChepil
  • JeffS1427JeffS1427 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Photogenic Founder First Comment
    ✭✭
    How about adding a category dedicated to Education?
    VioletChepilUnixGurugfondeur
  • RichCreedyRichCreedy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 38
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    version release notes could be useful
    I've not checked everywhere yet, but a requested features Category might also be useful, and easier to track.
    VioletChepil
  • dTrickdTrick Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    5 Likes Founder Photogenic First Comment
    ✭✭
    Would this be a good place to report potential bugs/defects in the app or Fingbox?
    VioletChepil
  • IntecpspIntecpsp Member Posts: 3
    ✭✭
    edited August 2019

Would IoT fall under 'Devices & Security'?

VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Intecpsp yes it would, but I think I can clarify that better in the category description. Actually, when we see trends in categories we can pull them out and make categories/sub-categories based off what members are posting about!! 

Intecpsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @JeffS1427 this is a good idea and definitely we want people to get access to educational resources here on community. I'm going to discuss with the team here. In the meantime, just post educational pieces under respective categories. (i.e. education/tutorials/reviews about devices under devices/security). In the beginning we wanted the structure to be a bit more opened and then use the posts to identify trends and pull out categories/sub-categories from those areas! 

JEspo
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @dTrick good point. Yes for Fing App bugs and feature requests post here: https://community.fing.com/categories/fing-app For Fingbox bugs and feature requests post here: https://community.fing.com/categories/fingbox

• KrejarKrejar Member Posts: 6
    First Anniversary Founder Photogenic First Comment
    ✭✭
    I think themes like a dark or a not so light mode would be nice. I have all my PCs using dark mode themes and when I go to a website as bright as this one, my eyes bleed :smile:
    VioletChepilHronosSteen_dB
  • FingLoverFingLover Member Posts: 7
    5 Likes Photogenic Founder Name Dropper
    ✭✭

@VioletChepil - maybe add some geographically based categories. Not countries, maybe continents but why not countries even. It would give people ability to discuss things locally... As every area has its specifics.

It's just 1 of the ideas. I'll publish more.

Regards

VioletChepilJEspoAng
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Krejar thanks for the feedback. We know a lot of Fing app users like dark mode. This could be something to consider for the future once we grow.

Ang
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    FingLover said:

@VioletChepil - maybe add some geographically based categories. Not countries, maybe continents but why not countries even. It would give people ability to discuss things locally... As every area has its specifics.

It's just 1 of the ideas. I'll publish more.

Regards

Good idea!
    We have started doing this in the ISP categories: so users can discuss local ISPs and outages.
    Check it out here:
    https://community.fing.com/categories/isp 

Steen_dB
  • fedeb000fedeb000 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
    5 Awesomes 5 Agrees 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you can add sub-topics in FingBox Category like: Bugs, Request, Release Notes, Help, etc
    VioletChepilUsagiNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This would be very good @fedeb000. I think once we get a few in each we can start to separate them out. This is definitely the direction we should move. 

fedeb000
  • hernanhernan Member Posts: 2
    ✭✭

Looks good. I’d create a category or subcategory specifically for Privacy.

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    hernan said:

Looks good. I’d create a category or subcategory specifically for Privacy.

Thanks for the feedback! Do you mean in related to general privacy? Any elaboration on what the topic would cover would be super helpful.

For now, any privacy questions we could put in General Discussion or Devices & Security, and then if we see a big trend in privacy questions we could pull them out into a sub-category or new category too. 
    General Discussion: https://community.fing.com/categories/general-discussion 
    Devices & Security: https://community.fing.com/categories/devices 

• OrganicOrganic Member Posts: 4
    First Anniversary Founder Photogenic First Comment
    ✭✭
    edited August 2019

It might be a limitation - but I’d like to see the Fing Topics appear at the top, rather than underneath. I’m guessing the headings may be sorted alphabetically though?

It might be better to collect all suggestions into one forum as well, so each can be seen clearly with a response.

VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Organic thanks a lot for the feedback. The placement of the Fing/Fingbox below was a conscious choice I guess since we want the community to cover so much more than just our own products. I guess this is why we moved the other categories above, since a lot of the questions would organically be about Fing App/Fingbox. But really, we want the community to be for all network/device troubleshooting too. I think people are naturally going to post about Fing App/Fingbox. What do you think?

I'd suggest posting up any specific ideas for community improvement over here for now in "Welcome and Community feedback"
    https://community.fing.com/categories/welcome 
    I do agree though, perhaps we'll need to branch out further from this thread. As it is getting a lot of great feedback too! 

• JbakshJbaksh Member Posts: 5
    5 Likes 5 Agrees Founder First Comment
    ✭✭

The community looks great. I have a few suggestions. Can there be an option to put the comment box at the top of the discussion instead of having to scroll all the way down. And also a filter that puts the recent posts first and the older ones at the bottom.

VioletChepilUnixGurugroutsOoronCrowgrandfathermikhai
This discussion has been closed.