I have 2 generic devices in my list without names

Agnot2019Agnot2019 Member Posts: 4
I have 2 generic devices along with the 8 named ones. they are in use but cant identify

Answers

• MarcMarc Member, Beta Tester Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Agnot2019...  Assuming that you have 10 devices and out of that just two unidentified...  Since its only two you could do a process of elimination to determine which two items on your network that are not identified.  Of those two, turn one off and then rescan to see what's left active.  You can then use the fingapp to name the devices so in the future you will know what they are.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,474 admin
    Hi @Agnot2019
    Here are a few more tips!
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/322/tips-for-identifying-generic-devices
    Also, Fing Desktop may be able to help you. 
    Have you signed up for the beta?

Community Manager at Fing

Marc
  • Agnot2019Agnot2019 Member Posts: 4
    @Marc 

Thank you for your reply:

I did this for a couple of the ones I have but these two elude me, one seems to be on all the time and the other is never on. Do things like AirPods and iPad pens show on the list?

@VioletChepil

Thank you I will give that a try.

VioletChepil
    I believe if they have a MAC address they would appear.
    https://networkengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/36843/do-bluetooth-devices-have-mac-address-with-the-same-specification-as-the-mac-add
    I don't have any direct experience. @pwmeek  @Hronos @Marc @kltaylor @Crowgrandfather anything to add? Or any others?

Agnot2019 said:
    @Marc 

Thank you for your reply:

I did this for a couple of the ones I have but these two elude me, one seems to be on all the time and the other is never on. Do things like AirPods and iPad pens show on the list?

@VioletChepil

Thank you I will give that a try.

AirPods and Apple pencils no as they are Bluetooth only, Apple Watch would if you have one, though fing has been able to identify mine correctly. 
    VioletChepilHronos
    Thanks for clarifying that @Marc !

@Marc

Thank You, I do have an apple watch which has not been named by my Fing. I am finding this very confusing. I turned my watch off and the device I had previously named as my iPad (which I had named myself not Fing) went off i.e all numbers greyed out. So I renamed it to watch. Then I turned off my iPad and none of the Generic numbers went grey?

When the last 2 number are black its active is that correct?

@Agnot2019 yes, that is correct! 
    So, I guess it could be that the watch has a MAC address? 

The watch does indeed have its own MAC address, as would any network device.  The way the Apple Watch works, if your watch is always close to the phone, it will use Bluetooth to communicate.  if you find yourself wandering away from the phone, or the phone from the watch, communication switches to WiFi.  Thats why you will only see the watch active sometimes.

So sorry still very confusing. If Fing wold only name the big stuff, like my iPad instead of me trying to turn things off etc. And there also seems to be a time lag before changes show in the list.

So I still have 2 Generic devices listed one seems to go on and off randomly which is not my watch which is always with me and the other is on all the time. Would the Hub repeater box to increase signal strength thought the house be another device?

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 223 admin
    Hi @Agnot2019

eneric devices are those devices for which Fing was not able to identify the vendor and what kind of device it is. If there is any device in your house which is using any kind of internet(Wifi) then Fing App can show you all devices connected on your network. You can use this external link to know about the vendor of the device: https://aruljohn.com/mac/F45EAB 

The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognized correctly e.g. 

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fingbox. 

- Limited information being offered by specific devices. 

I would advise inserting as many details that you can about the device to help improve the engine for all Fing users. 

This will assist with improved device identification in the future. 

The reason you may be experiencing this issue in relation to alerts for specific devices, is that you might have changed the state change alert from default value to a different value. The usual default value is 20 minutes. Sometimes, when the device is not in use, it may go to sleep mode and then if the state change is set to the lowest value of 1 or 2 minutes, it can be recorded as offline or out of range. So, when it returns back from the sleep mode, it will be marked as 'Online' and thus providing you with an alert. If the state change alert value is set to more than 20 minutes, then until that time period is finished, that device will still be marked 'Online' and only after that time period it will be recorded as 'Offline', thus providing you with an alert. 

In order to change the alert settings, please click on the device from the device list and then scroll down to 'State Change Timeout(auto)' . You can then set the value to at least 20 minutes.