Replacing the XFi router

VABelleVABelle Member Posts: 16
Image result for xfi router
I currently have the XFi router shown in the picture. Comcast's new protocols will not allow the customer to access the router via 10.0.0.1 online like you used to be able to. So I have no way of turning off IPV6 like Fing says to do. The XFi phone app has no options for it. Unless someone out there knows another way to access the XFi router and disable IPV6, I am planning to take it back to the Xfinity store and buy a new router/modem combo at Best Buy or somewhere else. Any suggestions from anyone else using both a Fingbox AND Xfinity internet service?
VioletChepilCiaran

Answers

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,474 admin

Community Manager at Fing

• pwmeekpwmeek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    I'm having no trouble accessing my Comcast/Xfinity modem-router at 10.0.0.1 (Arris TG1682G) I can log in using my password and view all the controls.
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    VioletChepil
  • vulcansheartvulcansheart Member, Beta Tester Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    edited November 25
    Per the documentation for the XFi router, you should have access to the admin portal. Are you able to load the login page when you navigate to it in a browser?

41 4c 4c 20 59 4f 55 52 20 42 41 53 45 20 41 52 45 20 42 45 4c 4f 4e 47 20 54 4f 20 55 53
    VioletChepilBoombies
    edited November 25
    Oh, and BTW, I think the username is stuck as 'admin'*, but you should definitely change the default password, if you haven't done so already.

==== EDIT
    * It isn't; you can change the username as well.
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    VioletChepilHronos
  • VABelleVABelle Member Posts: 16
    edited November 29
    Researching this problem further today, I saw a suggestion to try a different browser. I had been using Safari on my MacBook Pro (2018) and just installed Firefox. Voila! I was able to enter the admin portal with no problem and immediately changed password & reviewed all other settings. I looked at IPV6 under WiFi but there is no "disable" or "enable" button like most of the other settings, so how do you turn it off or disable it?
    P.S. I'm glad to know I don't have to shell out $$ for a brand new router/modem! :D Thanks for your help, BTW! The time you're taking to answer my questions is SO VERY MUCH appreciated. <3
    VioletChepil
  • Brettly61Brettly61 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5

You can still access your router remotely over phone lines. With the xFi app. It is really the best feature that Xfinity has to offer.

You can watch your network just like you would by being on the network via a cell phone connection. You can turn off IPv6, rename the network, change passwords from anywhere

I don’t know how they translate from phone to WiFi so quickly and smoothly but it’s really cool.

And I am not a Comcast/XFi fan at all. But compared to AT&T, Comcast has come a long way.

Brettly61 said:

You can still access your router remotely over phone lines. With the xFi app. It is really the best feature that Xfinity has to offer.

You can watch your network just like you would by being on the network via a cell phone connection. You can turn off IPv6, rename the network, change passwords from anywhere<snip>

Does this mean that a hacker could also make these changes using the same App? Not hardening the router (or at least allowing it) against non-local connections seems like a fairly serious vulnerability. I would almost prefer to restrict such changes to be done only via a serial port on the router itself, or at least a dedicated Ethernet port.
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur

How? Can you provide a link explaining how to do this?

• jpartain89jpartain89 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4

Ok, so, first off, to @Brettly61 , while yes, the xFi app works from anywhere, it’s not technically correct phrasing it as “the phone lines” and it’s certainly not limited to just “mobile data”.

The xFi app works as an api interface, routed through Comcast’s server farms and rendered into a useable GUI interface on the website, mobile applications and the apps on the cable boxes.

@pwmeek this further explains that in order to access this information, you have to login to xfinity’s website using your xFinity username and password.

and @VABelle I’m happy you were able to get into the admin interface page, and just as an extra FYI, Comcast’s online systems (xFi, the Streaming Service, and the Connect site for your emails) are all built to operate best with Google Chrome. All other browsers are “supported” but Chrome is the optimal experience.

And, technically it’s possible to disable ipv6, if you have certain services being used with your modem (xFi advantage, profiles, pausing devices and/or parental controls setup through xFi) a lot of those settings are no longer available in the admin interface page.

You’re always able to call in to tech support and request that the IPv6 be disabled.

Boombies
    What is xFi Advantage? I do have profiles, pausing, etc. on the xFi app and in my online account but can't find any settings for tweaking ipv6. The only place it's shown in the admin interface is under WiFi/custom security settings. I have discovered by looking at Fence on the Fing app is that another specific network (which always shows up very strong in the network listings) is identical to mine in every way, including all of my devices, only they're all on another channel.
    Thanks for your reply, BTW.
  • rootedrooted Member Posts: 33 ✭✭

I wouldn't go with a combo if for some reason you decided to purchase your own, I would go with an ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 and a good, easy to manage AC router like Google WiFi.

This combination would be close to $300 with taxes.

As for xFi Advantage:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/xFi-Advantage-Now-Available-in-Select-Markets/td-p/3208207