Nuclear Option to delete everything and start over.

goswh
goswh Member Posts: 4
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
After being an original Indiegogo buyer since the start, I want to start over with Fing.  I've tried for years to use this App and Service and it's more frustrating than anything else.  I just want to delete everything on the back end and start over. 

Nothing in any of the Communities posts in the posts are helpful for my situation. 

The UI is horrible from a user experience perspective. No ability to select multiple devices for bulk delete or edit operations, for example. No way to use keyboard navigation in the WEB UI (arrow keys & tab for example). And the sync times between the app and the web service are also horrible. 

I've deleted several networks from the Web UI, only to have them reappear.  I don't want to delete 322 devices one at a time, and I don't want/need the FING box to be scanning or searching my wifi networks.  Isn't that what the Ethernet connection is for? 

I've even reset the Fing Box, but unless I connect with WIFI, I cannot add it to my account. And when I connect via wifi, the app then scans wifi, and the fing box appears and also scans my network. 

I don't or need multiple instances of the same network to be scan multiple times. 

Why is this app and service so impossible to use and so crappy in it's user experience?

Can someone please tell me how to delete EVERYTHING, so that nothing comes back or is out of sync, so that I can start over?

Best Answer

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #2 Accepted Answer
    Hi @goswh
    Thanks for your support of our Indiegogo campaign and I'm sorry about your frustrating experience!
    Hopefully we can get this sorted.
    Here's how to deactivate Fingbox so it can be restarted/onboarded and you can start over.

To move your Fingbox to a new network, follow these simple steps:

• Locate the network name in the middle of the top bar of the screen – click on the drop-down arrow next to this.
    • This will take you through to the My Networks screen which contains a list of all your networks.
    • Swipe left on the Network with the Fingbox on it and click on the Deactivate that appears. This will remove the network you have already configured, freeing up Fingbox to be assigned to a new network.
    • After you have deactivated the Fingbox, you will be able to connect the box to the new network you’d like it to be on.
    • Just connect it to the new network you’d like to monitor and start the onboarding again. More information here: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/how-connect-fingbox-to-network/

If you are seeing multiple networks, this could be because you have multiple access points. You should connect to each access point and run a Fing scan to teach Fingbox they are part of the same network. 

In oder to monitor all access points, you can add the access point under Wifi Intrusion Protection. For Mesh systems, if they are not creating a separate gateways than the router and sharing the same gateway then Fingbox will be able to see devices connected to all access points. You can verify how many access points are being monitored by Fingbox by checking the MAC address of the Access points(BSSID). 

Please follow these steps:  
    1. Open the Fing App  
    2. Click on the Network Tab  
    3. Click on the Network Details section(This is the directly under your network name)  
    4. Scroll down and locate the Access Point Section  
    5. You will be able to see the BSSIDs.  

In order to add the access point for Fingbox, first, you need to be connected to the access point network which you want to add. Then open the Fing App and choose the Fingbox network from the dropdown list. Go to the ‘Network’ tab and select either Wi-Fi Intrusion Protection or Wi-Fi Performance and you will be able to add the Access point for the current network your device is connected to. You can only add the Access point either from the Wi-Fi Performance tab or Wi-Fi Intrusion Protection tab.  
     After Adding the access point, you will receive the New Access point alert and you need to accept it as a trusted gateway and the access point will be added successfully. 

Let me know any more questions you have at all.

Cheers,

Violet

Community Manager at Fing

Answers

• goswh
    Hi, Violet.
    Thank you very much for these instructions.  I'm stuck in the iOS app at this step: "
    • Swipe left on the Network with the Fingbox on it and click on the Deactivate that appears. This will remove the network you have already configured, freeing up Fingbox to be assigned to a new network."
    When I do this, I get the trash can icon, etc. I tap on the trash can icon and the app has a message that appears, "Failed to Remove from Account."

I made a quick screen recording to show what I am seeing on the iPhone XS Max, running the latest GA iOS 13.2.3.

Dropbox link should take you right to the video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jpvo7f82ltmvs5t/RPReplay_Final1575678220.MP4?dl=0

Any suggestions?
    //Shawn
  • Ciaran
    Ciaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    @goswh, please send me a Direct Message with your MAC address and requesting to disassociate the account from the Fingbox. Once done, this will free the Fingbox to be associated to a new account (essentially a 'factory reset' of sorts)
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• goswh
    @Ciaran
    Done. Thank you.
    Ciaran
  • goswh

Thanks, looks like my issues are cleared up now.

2 different FBs now show decides on two different networks and all APs are now shown under the network details.

Thanks for the help @VioletChepil. I didn’t know we could add WAPs this way.

@Ciaran appreciate the back end refresh as well.

All good here, now.

//Shawn

Ciaran
  • Ciaran
    Ciaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Great stuff, glad to hear :smile:
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)