Combine wired and wireless device MAC into a single fing device

John
John Member Posts: 110
25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
✭✭✭
Most laptops have 2 MAC, one for wireless and one for wired.  These show as 2 separate devices in the fingapp and it would be really handy if there was a way to tag these as the same device in the fingapp, as showing as 2 separate ones is confusing to say the least.    It could show 1 device with 2 (or more IP's) and 2 (or more macs).

Is this something that has been considered, and would it be worth considering as a feature update?
JohntezandyshinnShadowfox85
4 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Fcpiek
    Fcpiek Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    I don't think I would like to see your suggestion implemented. Most computers have a wireless and wired connection. As all my computers are wired I switch off all wireless option in those, simply because wired is faster (and more reliable) and it unloads my WiFi. With your suggestion I would loose the ability to see that my device has a doubled connection. My HP printer is the only one that has a wireless connection as well to be able to direct print to it directly. But may be I am wrong and miss a benefit of doubled connection?
  • John
    ✭✭✭
    Fcpiek said:
    I don't think I would like to see your suggestion implemented. Most computers have a wireless and wired connection. As all my computers are wired I switch off all wireless option in those, simply because wired is faster (and more reliable) and it unloads my WiFi. With your suggestion I would loose the ability to see that my device has a doubled connection. My HP printer is the only one that has a wireless connection as well to be able to direct print to it directly. But may be I am wrong and miss a benefit of doubled connection?
    Its not just when the devices are connected but also disconnected, they still show in the list as 'in range'.  Why not show the device and its connections, including which are connected and not.
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @John and @Fcpiek
    Just turning this one into an idea and moving to Fing App feature requests! Good to carry on any discussion too. 

Community Manager at Fing

• eJony
    eJony Member, Beta Tester Posts: 45
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Answer 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    @John
    I like the idea, but would want that as a "view" or a way to see the data. Multiple NICs on the same device are different attack vectors, have different MAC addresses, and may even be on entirely different networks. I think seeing them as separate is helpful at times and seeing them together is also helpful at times. If you name them the same and sort by device name, do you almost get what you want?
  • John
    ✭✭✭
    eJony said:
    @John
    I like the idea, but would want that as a "view" or a way to see the data. Multiple NICs on the same device are different attack vectors, have different MAC addresses, and may even be on entirely different networks. I think seeing them as separate is helpful at times and seeing them together is also helpful at times. If you name them the same and sort by device name, do you almost get what you want?
    Yes that does it, but its a convoluted way to get something I feel should be built in.  Maybe a checkbox to select merge devices and yes it would still need to be able to show the different macs when going into the details
  • OrangeBucket
    OrangeBucket Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments First Answer Photogenic
    My variation on this theme is that I'd expect Fing to work with what it sees on the network, just as at present. So if Fing has seen the same device in ten different places I want to know all about them. However I'd also like to be able to share common data between all those instances by being able to indicate they are all the same device.

Consider a device such as a laptop with a wired ethernet, and dual band Wi-Fi. Consider also an extender on a 2.4 GHz network that translates the real MAC addresses of devices connected to it into virtual addresses on the main network (as plenty do). If the Fing app is used on a device connected to the main network, the laptop may appear as five different devices depending on how and where it is connected. That is quite right and proper. However it would be useful if all those five instances could be marked as an instance of the same device so they could share data such as name, location and notes.
  • John
    ✭✭✭

S

Spot on that’s essentially what I was trying to say in a roundabout way. They are all individual macs but the ability to essentially ‘group’ I guess is the key thing here. By going into a single device one can see all others related 👍

Shadowfox85