Deactivating Fingbox and moving to a new network

System
System Administrator Posts: 82
10 Comments Photogenic
admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: 2nd Hand Fingbox - New setup.

Comments

• true911
    true911 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 19
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    OK, so to be more clear, you're referring to the Fing app on the mobile phone, looking at My Networks, not the web app or something else.  I can see my network there, but there is no Fingbox listed to deactivate.
    Let me explain my further then.  Please redirect this to another thread if it's becoming out of place here.
    I purchased and activated my Fingbox and it was initially working with my mobile (Android) Fing just fine.  However my phone OS was plagued by advertising popups over the other apps (like when driving) and I performed a factory reset to get rid of them, the reinstalled my apps afterwards.  The new Fing installation doesn't seem to interact with the existing Fingbox.  I tried the Fingbox reset and removal described elsewhere on this site to try to start fresh with the unit, but when I try to Add Fingbox, I get the Fingbox Already Active message on the app.  Somehow the Fingbox is remembering my network or being remembered, I would assume by the account (since everything else is new.)
    Also of note, after reset/reload the Fingbox does not go green.  I've reset it three times now.  Usually it goes straight to blue, not green (after attaching the LAN).  Since my last try, it sat on white for several minutes, then switched to blue for about 30 seconds, then quickly dark (restarted?), red, white again for awhile and back to blue.  The direct web page for the device (http://<ip address>) says that my device is being recognized, check in a couple minutes, but the page never seems to change.
    It just went white and blue again after about 5 minutes on blue (another restart?)
    That's all the information I have.  My goal is simply to reset it (completely, deactivate, whatever) and reconnect it from scratch.
    Thanks for your help!

• true911
    I'm rereading and I see you're referring to the network that hosts the fingbox, not the fingbox, when you say to deactivate it.  On my current android version, it is hold and Delete rather than swipe and deactivate.  I did this also, then rescanned as a new network, and my account filled everything back in.  The Fing device is still blue throughout this process and doesn't appear to have been deactivated or altered.
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @true911
    Just moving us over here for further troubleshooting. 
    The Fingbox now needs to be re-onboarded. 
    Can you click on ADD A FINGBOX - from the settings page.
    - click your network name you want to add the box to
    - click the cogs wheel in top right of screen
    - click ADD A FINGBOX

Screen is below. 

Community Manager at Fing

• true911

Thanks for your response.  I understand your instructions, and I have tried this several times, but it does not act that way.  Here's the situation in the Fing app on my Android phone:

When I click on the little head in the upper right of the screen, I see the Account and Settings screen, with the Add Fingbox option.  I click on that and there is no selecting a network or anything else, it starts searching immediately.  It says, "Looking for Fingbox" and further says that the light will be green - it is not, it is blue.

Then, it completes with the message "Fingbox Already Active" and describes the account login requirements, etc.

Meanwhile, in my email, I'm still receiving notifications about devices seen and lost on the network, indicating that the FB is actually working as configured by my initial setup, I just can't access it directly to change anything.  I want it to forget all of its configuration, come back on the network fresh and green, so I can set it up again with full communication and interaction in the reinstalled app.

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @true911
    Are the emails going through to the expected email? Sometimes, if you have an alias you could look at the sender. (i have many aliases and maybe its a different email being sent to the alerts). 

Perhaps your email address needs to be changed on Fingbox so you can Login and deactivate it. 

Here are the steps for changing the account email address just need to send a DM to @Ciaran
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/2097/how-to-change-your-fing-or-fingbox-account-email-address#latest

• true911
    I don't want to change my email, the box is working perfectly as a monitor, sending alerts successfully to the email I set it up to use.  I simply want to  reset the device so I can set it up again and interact with it again from the reinstalled app.  There seems to be a design issue here around how to reset these devices directly, or moreover, how to relink them to the app when they're already activated.  Clearly this is a real world situation where the app and the box can get out of sync, and now we can't control the box.  Every other network device I know of can be reset to factory defaults by some physical means.  Please let's focus on that solution.
    I was sent here to discuss possibilities in the forum, but I'm not hearing anyone else's input about a similar experience.  This may require a direct conversation with support.  I've shown my willingness to try to self-help and to not over-use support resources , but this conversation is steering away from the core problem I'm experiencing.  For a paid product I've had for only a couple weeks that's not working as advertised, I might expect to be able to return it and get a new one, not to continue with these experiments.  Someone has a fix for this - let's get to it.
  • true911
    Oh yes, that's another thing, trying to log directly into the device at its IP address.  When I go there with a web browser, I get "You're device is being recognized, thank you!  Checkj your device in Fing in a couple minutes, the improved recognition can take some time."
    There is no login prompt, and this page never goes away even after multiple power-offs and resets.  My login information isn't a problem, simply that I have nowhere to use it.
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello @true911
    I've done a quick check - and the account logged into the Fing Community is not attached to a Fingbox. Is this the account that you are logged into Fing app with currently? If so, it may not be linked to your Fingbox - and thus you are unable to deactivate the Fingbox from that account email. 
    In order to deactivate the box, you must do it from the account the Fingbox was activated on. 
    This is a frequent issue which is why I'm trying to see if this is an account related issue as to why you cannot deactivate the box to move it to a new network. 
    Let me know!

• true911
    OK, I will try to login with another email.  Where do you want me to login differently, the forum, the app?  Remember, I cannot access the fingbox interface directly if there is a login option there.

In the meantime, I remembered from another post about the app.fing.io interface, which communicates with the fingbox directly.  This is working properly and connected to my fingbox properly.  From that web interface, I have the option again to remove the network from my account, and it states that it will be removed from all devices.  I did that, then restarted my FB, only to have it come back with a blue light.  When I opened the phone app, it had no networks, but then quickly  re-synced with my "account" and re-added the network and details that it had earlier.  If not the FB, then where else are these details stored, and why didn't it remove the network as stated?  If it's an account login difference, then why is it sharing that information with a request from other credentials than it recognizes?

AGAIN, a factory reset option would negate all of these problems, start fresh, and allow me to login with the same account I've been trying to use across the board, whether the initial problem was my login or not.
  • true911
    It took me awhile to notice the login/logout in the app, but it was signed into this account, while most services setup on the phone use the gmail account.  When I logged into the app with gmail, it does seem to be working fully again.  I now see a network in my list labeled "FingBox" which I didn't have before, although its content is redundant with my actual SSID that also appears on the (phone app) screen.  It's at this point that I thought I should be able to swipe these additional networks away, but they don't seem to allow that.  Since it's working now I'm not going to mess with it, nor the "changing networks" options in the forums.  

This still leaves the question, not addressed, of how does one factory reset a fingbox?  It would be nice to get a direct response to that.

Thanks for your help. 
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @true911

Sounds like we've made some progress! If still needing help with deactivation, just let me know. 

We do have a factory reset option: but this cannot remove the Fingbox from your account. This is for security purposes. This is so noone could take over the box without your permissions - say they came to your house and activated without you knowing. This will re-download the software from Fing servers and allow a clean slate. 

Factory reset the box:
    Here are the full steps to go through!
    Reset Fingbox
    1. Unplug the Fingbox power adaptor from the wall outlet
    2. Find the RESET hole beside the Fingbox power port
    3. Gently insert a paperclip in the RESET hole (very gently)
    4. While keeping the RESET button gently pressed, plug the power adaptor back in
    5. Keep the RESET button pressed for 30 seconds and release (or until a single white light flashes on the device)
    6. You should now see a single white light on
    7. After a few seconds, the top circle will start flashing, while the original factory software is loaded
    8. This process lasts for a few minutes (~3 min)
    9. A single white light will mark the end of the process
    10. Power off the Fingbox
    11. Wait 5 seconds
    12. Power it back on

To deactivate the box:
    You must Login to the app and follow the deactivation steps. https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/move-fingbox-new-network/ 

Let me know anything more you need help with!

Cheers,
    Violet

• Damo
    Damo Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    Hi Everyone, I have followed this thread with great interest, as I am experiencing exactly the same issues described in detail by true911.
    Unfortunately, after trying all of the steps described in this thread, my issues have not been resolved. My issues began when I had to replace my modem/router from a an older model Huawei 4G, to the newer Huawei B525 4G modem.
    The FB seems to discover the network, but when I try to "Pause Internet" on any of the devices, they do not get stopped.
    I have tried all of the device reset, account sign-in/out procedures with no joy.
    I can only assume that the FB is not compatible with my new modem. Can anyone confirm FingBox compatibility with Huawei B525 router ?
    Thanks,
    Damien.