How to improve internet speeds - Anyone else have trouble with TalkTalk?

Suraxi
Suraxi Member Posts: 3
First Comment
edited November 22, 2019 in TalkTalk #1

It took me a whole week to download one game to my Ps4 plus I can barely use YouTube without constant buffering... Is there anything I could do to improve my Internet speeds? (apart from switching provider)

I've reset the router and moved other electronic items away from it but I'm still getting 2001 dial up speeds...

VioletChepilRobin_from_FingCiaran

Best Answers

• keith
    keith Member, Beta Tester Posts: 64
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    #2 Accepted Answer

How can that service be called superfast fibre?

If the connection is shared maybe the service is shaped(slowed) because a data limit has been passed this month.

A serious wiring issue or modem, you need a tech.

2mbps at 4pm does not sound like a congestion issue unless talktalk pay for no bandwidth.

Complain or change, something is wrong.

Suraxi
  • NerdPower
    NerdPower Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Answer Photogenic First Comment
    edited November 24, 2019 #3 Accepted Answer

ISP shaping & Spying : First change your DNS server : Your ISP has a DNS which is like a "phonebook" for the internet, the problem is that they don't have the full "phonebook" and need to ask Cloudflare & Google for the address which takes time increasing your "Ping"(the time your data goes from you to the server and back again). The DNS is also how the government restricts websites you go to. So to get around any censorship change the DNS to Primary 1.1.1.1 Secondary 8.8.8.8. This is Cloudflare & Google respectively.

Hide your IP address : Next a VPN. I use Feralhosting for a downloading server (10£ a month) and get 1Tb storage, Unlimited traffic, rtorrent client, openvpn. Or any VPN provider $2.70 a month is standard. This creates a encrypted connection from your computer to another computer hiding your true IP address but.... If you don't change your DNS you will still be restricted by your ISP & Government Censorship.

Crap ISP Modem Fix : This removes your ISP's ability to spy on you and the type of data you are downloading. If you have a cable modem you will need to put it in "Bridge mode" and buy your own modem. "Openwrt" is preferable as it is open firmware. Linksys modems are my GOTO modems. ISP modems are the cheapest pieces of shit they can get, which means the more tasks it has the worse it gets. By removing all tasks like : Router, Wifi, VOIP, DHCP, NAS, Printer server, NAT, DNS, Firewall, DMZ, Port Forwarding, etc. and giving it 1 single task "Bridge mode" means the ISP modem has minimal impact on your internet speeds & ping. The reason for getting a modem that supports "OpenWRT" is that the modem will have quality and resonable CPU & RAM inside it because nerds & admins are the ones that buy and use OpenWRT, the manufactures know that! and put proper hardware in the modems.

Remove Ads from websites : Final thing is a "pi-hole " this blocks ads on your network. It has "block lists" from many different projects and stops you from ever downloading the ads to begin with. This free's up download bandwidth for your data. You can use a "orange pi zero" for this to save money. (There is a addon called "ublock origin" for web browsers)

These changes will work on any ISP and any speed.

WiFi : For passive consumption of content is fine (Youtube) but interactive content like Gaming always go with Ethernet cable. The way wifi is designed to negotiate connections and sent data can & will cause lag in gaming. Even someone walking between the modem and PlayStation can create a re-negotiation with modem and create lag.

SuraxiBeeKayTee

Answers

• Suraxi
    First Comment

I only have my phone and playstation connected to the WiFi too so it's not as if I've got 40000 devices all attempting to use the same network...

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Suraxi I've just modified the title slightly and also promoted this post. 
    Lets see if we can get some tips for improving Internet speeds. Anything to add @kltaylor @Marc @Pixelpopper @Hronos @Crowgrandfather

Community Manager at Fing

Suraxi
  • cderring
    cderring Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment
    Does that company offer different speeds?  How long have you been with them?  I have Comcast business for work and had the same plan for about 5 years, one day I was having an issue and ask if I was on the best plan.  I found out that I was on an old plan and Comcast bumped up my speed for free to the current plan.  It might not work for you but it's worth a shot.  There isn't much of anything you can do on your side to improve a 2Mbp download speed, that I know of.
    Suraxi
  • Suraxi
    First Comment

Yes I'm currently on their "super fast fibre" package and can't switch to anything faster as "my area isn't suitable"

Been with them roughly five years.

Had an engineer out this morning who couldn't work out what the problem is after an hour of running tests.

They are going to send me a new router and broadband booster so fingers crossed it resolves the issue only time will tell though...

This is the first issue I've ever had with TalkTalk so I can't complain too much I guess.

VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of building do you live in?
    I had a similar problem in my personal home recently. Is it an isolated home?
    Or is it like town home/flats etc? 
    I'm in a town home and it was the line impacting all the homes here. This was for SQY Q only but none of us could get any channels.
    They had someone fix the line for all residents and things improved - actually they are perfect now...
    I do not know if this would be related at all...

Suraxi
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I also had many Sky engineers out trying to fix. But then we got the building management to fix and that was the underlying issue...

Suraxi
  • frodo2020
    frodo2020 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    have you measured the bandwidth straight from the modem, bypassing the router?  is there a bandwidth difference between that and what you measure with the router?
    BeeKayTeeVioletChepil
  • Bob_v2
    Bob_v2 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic

Hello,

You can try probe to find any throttle.

https://github.com/ooni/probe

"Thinking is the begining of disobedience"

VioletChepil