2nd Fingbox detected

EssexPaul
EssexPaul Member Posts: 3
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

Regularly, I receive notification of a second Fingbox joining my network, with assigned IP of my own Fingbox (I’ve checked its MAC address on the device and that’s showing correctly under Devices and assigned the correct IP address. The other one is blocked but retains the same MAC address, but not the one in my network. It eventually fades to a lighter red under Devices and I can delete it but it returns and I follow the same path each time: discover, check, delete. If anyone has any idea why this keeps happening, please let me know.

Tagged:
VioletChepil

Answers

• Hronos
    Hronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @EssexPaul and Welcome to the community.
    If the 2nd FingBox show a different MAC Address it is posible there is a 2nd FingBox on your network, maybe from another member of your family/team.
    If you wan't to block that FingBox, you shouldn't delete it from your device list.  Because if you delete it, you are actually telling your FingBox to treat it as new the next time it appears.
    Next time it appears, try to capture it's MAC, so the team at Fing could verify if it is really a FingBox.
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepil
  • EssexPaul
    EssexPaul Member Posts: 3
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    edited November 22, 2019 #3

Hello @Hronos and thank you for the welcome. I had originally blocked it (it shows in bright red when it appears under Devices). When it’s there for a short period of time, it turns a lighter red and that’s when I slide it to the left and delete it). I’m sure it’ll appear again, so I can capture its MAC address (I know it starts F2). So I’ll be able to forward that to the Fing team and verify it as a Fingbox or not. I am the only one who uses my home network but I will double-check that a friend who stays here doesn’t have WiFi enabled and has the device in question, although it can only be a phone or tablet but I was told that they don’t use WiFi. Thank you for the advice, it’s much appreciated. Cheers.

VioletChepil
  • Hronos
    Hronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭
    @EssexPaul when the device goes "light red" it's because is not online but blocked, for security reasons it should permanently be blocked (showing in your device list in red, darker or lighter).
    Hope we can help to solve this soon.
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepil