Tips to create a great discussion
We need Fing community members to participate and start discussions to make this a thriving place.
Here are a few tips to help you create great discussions:
- Create a descriptive title: A good discussion title is a short preview of your post. A well written title is also going to help search engines better index your post which will bring more people into the discussion. For example, instead of “Won’t Connect”, try “Help, my BT router keeps going offline.”
- Choose a category: Choose the most relevant category option. For example; “Help, my BT router keeps going offline,” could go in the “Devices” category. Anything and everything not covered by another category should go in "General Discussion."
- Use tags: Tags are helpful for others to find keyword related posts. It also helps Fing admins identify popular topics. For example; “Help, my BT router keeps going offline,” could be tagged with #routers #troubleshooting #devices
- Ask for comment with a Call to Action (CTA): If you want others to comment, you can encourage them by asking them to do so. This is called a CTA. Explicitly ask people in your discussion to comment or help.
- Add an image. Images make your post look great when shared on social networks. Embed an image using the picture icon.
- Credit/mention others. Put the @ before a username to mention someone. Credit other members if you are building off their previous comments or if you want to bring them into the discussion
- Respond and take ownership. Own the discussions that you have created. Respond to comments in a timely manner and thank people for participating. Upvote answers you like and choose a “best answer” if an answer has solved your problem.
- Proofread. Lookout for spelling mistakes, typos, and bad grammar to make your post easy to read.
- Don’t over format. This can distract readers from your post.
Have fun! 💥
Community Manager at Fing
- 4.9K All Categories
- 2.6K Ask about Connected Technology
- How To...
- 931 Devices & Security
- 1.5K Network Troubleshooting & Connectivity
- 100 General Discussion, Weird & Wonderful
- 37 Network Infrastructure
- 4.5K Ask about Fing
- 409 Fing Account Change Request
- 883 Fing Desktop
- 1.1K Fing App
- 1.5K Fingbox
- 467 Announcements, Beta Testing & Release Notes
- 147 Community Updates
- 19 Getting started
- 11 Community User Guides