Cisco Layer3forwarding? Is someone accessing my WiFi?

Sseals
Sseals Member Posts: 1
edited November 21, 2019 in Fingbox #1

Help why i don’t understand any of this. My phone is acting up it won’t let me change my iCloud or google password and I stay off of my Wifi bc I believe someone is accessing it. What does the layerforwarding etc mean? Why is my cell S6S appearing as the same ip as the router or whatever the CGM is

Answers

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2019 #2
    Hi @Sseals
    Sorry to hear your concerns.

Secure your network:
    If you think someone is accessing your WiFi - the best thing to do is immediately change your router admin/password.
    What kind of router do you have? I'm happy to help you find any instructions.

Location permissions:
    As for the IP address being the same, this could be related to location permissions. 
    Can you follow these steps?
    Can you check the app settings and make sure location is set to ALWAYS (for best performance)?
    This allows Fing app to read network name etc. on iOS 13 and Android 10. 
    To make sure all permissions are enabled correctly: 
    • Set location permissions to ALWAYS in app settings
    • Open Fing App and go to ‘Network’ tab
    • Click on the ISP name and it will open the Network page
    •  Clear out the Network information such as Address
    • Next, to the MAP section, there is a small icon to auto-detect location. Click on the icon 
    • Try scanning again 
    Let me know if that changes anything.  

Layer3forwarding:
    I've found this document online from Cisco: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/kvm/config_guide/network/5x/b_Cisco_N1KV_KVM_Virtual_Network_Config_5x/configuring_layer_3_features.pdf 

Anyone else have anything to add on Cisco layer3forwarding? 
    @Marc @Hronos @Pixelpopper @kltaylor

Community Manager at Fing

• benhelps
    benhelps Member, Beta Tester Posts: 32
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Just a quick Googling:
    * are you using a Technicolor or Xfinity/Comcast modem/router? (they appear to all identify as and are possibly made by Cisco)
    * what exactly do you mean by your phone has the same IP as the router? If you are connected to the router's wifi, then to the world (e.g. whatismyip.com) both will appear to have the same public IP address
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Let us know @Sseals

Community Manager at Fing

• VABelle
    VABelle Member Posts: 72
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭

I just factory reset my router (which is the same Technicolor Xfinity CGM4140COM model.) Normally after a factory reset, the network shows as Dynamic IP but this time it’s showing this:

Isn’t Layer3Forwarding something that has to be manually configured?

• vulcansheart
    vulcansheart Member, Beta Tester Posts: 117
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 5 Answers 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2019 #6
    I believe that simply means the router can forward VLAN tagged traffic by default. You can likely disable those UPnP settings in the router configuration portal, but It should have no affect on your network if you aren't using VLANs.
    41 4c 4c 20 59 4f 55 52 20 42 41 53 45 20 41 52 45 20 42 45 4c 4f 4e 47 20 54 4f 20 55 53
  • Scooby
    Scooby Member Posts: 178
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2019 #7
    Some routers have UPnP enabled, by default, too. If the router was factory reset, or turned on for the first time, UPnP will, most likely, be enabled. Layer3Forwarding appears to be a UPnP service, so, no, it doesn't have to be manually configured. If UPnP is enabled, Layer3Forwarding can be automatically enabled/setup, along with the other two services.

Xfinity has the Xfinity Wifi Home Hotspot feature:
    "How does the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot work?
    Your Wireless Gateway broadcasts an additional xfinitywifi network signal for use with Xfinity WiFi. This creates an extension of the Xfinity WiFi network right in your home that any Xfinity Internet subscriber can use to sign in and connect. This Xfinity WiFi service is completely separate from your secure home WiFi network."

My guess is, in order for the "xfinitywifi" to connect to the Internet, it must connect through your Xfinity Wifi Internet connection. Those three UPnP services would allow that to happen.

• VABelle
    VABelle Member Posts: 72
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    When I completely reset my router/modem back to factory and reactivated it, the UPnP option mysteriously reappeared in the admin console. Yes, it was enabled by default and I left it that way until I got all my devices reconnected; then I disabled it.