BubbleUPnP for DLNA / Chromecast / Smart TV

Having just discovered “Bubble” i am curious about what it does well & not so well. What are your experiences (good or bad) along with any fixes you’ve discovered.
VioletChepilCiaranRobin_from_Fing

Best Answer

• Wildstar
    Wildstar Member Posts: 1
    First Answer First Comment
    #2 Accepted Answer
    I've tried every home media player/server/controller app I could find in the Play store, and I always come back to BubbleUPnP. First, compared to everything else, Bubble is so easy to navigate and configure. Technically they all "work," but in other apps I was always getting stuck trying to figure out how to get from the now playing media controls back to media library, or worse - starting something playing on the wrong gadget or TV and struggling to get back to the target device list  or at least the playback controls to stop it. [An Xbox, Blu-ray player, TV, etc. will immediately drop what it's doing and play the DLNA media without prompt. The people using them can get annoyed.]  
    Second, there's the more technical stuff you're probably asking about - so just let me say that Bubble is the only DLNA media controller app I found that will automatically install encoder plugins as necessary and do encoding on-the-fly in order to make your media play on a picky device (like a Chromecast). I've overused the phrase, but the other apps won't do anything for your oddball file formats. 
    This leads me toward the answer to your actual question about a BubbleUPnP server. Yes, it is available. They wish everyone would download it and run it on their home network - where it can handle the chore of encoding and converting media. It looks like the server has a lot of the same features of a PLEX server . . . but I don't use it. I don't need it.
    The Bubble app on my phone does everything. I've used it for several years, and just recently discovered a few things I didn't know it could do - like somehow forcing a super old .mov file (found in a digital camera I stopped using in 2004) to play on my Chromecast, and later I discovered that I can use my phone's browser (Firefox in this case) to "share" an embedded web video to an external app - so I sent it to BubbleUPnP (it prompted for and installed a plugin automatically), and then Bubble was able to cast it to the TV so that I didn't have to hold my phone up to a room of people to show the video.
    All I really meant to say is I like BubbleUPnP for everything, and I recommend it.
    VioletChepilViperGeekAwarenessrooted

Answers

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A few more details here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp&hl=en_GB 
    Lets see what others are thinking! 

Community Manager at Fing

• benhelps
    benhelps Member, Beta Tester Posts: 29
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I use it for playing audio from bedside phone to bluetooth speaker.
    I used to use it for playing content to our Chromecast, but found it slightly less reliable than some other options.
    But in general it beats the pants of many other options. I like it that if you have it installed/running on multiple devices around the home, they can all talk to each other to push/pull content.
    VioletChepil
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭
    benhelps said:
    .....I like it that if you have it installed/running on multiple devices around the home, they can all talk to each other to push/pull content.
    Does Bubble run from a central server with client devices, e.g. tablet, speaker... etc. Running a client side app?
    VioletChepil
  • benhelps
    benhelps Member, Beta Tester Posts: 29
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Not that I'm aware of - unless maybe you volunteer a device for that purpose. All clients also act kind of like servers

VioletChepil
  • rooted
    rooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 892
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I fully agree @Wildstar, I have used BubbleUPnP for years and have tried a lot of the others always returning to Bubble.

The developer is actively supporting the app, adding features and fixing any issues that arise quickly. I don't remember what I paid but I believe it was $6.00 USD and it was an absolutely wonderful purchase.