What smart home doorbell camera are you using?

NavekNavek Member Posts: 10 ✭✭

Let's see what doorbell cams the community is useing the most, maybe some we haven't heard of Aswell

What smart home doorbell camera are you using? 77 votes

Nest
18%
RobinAustinJerryprestc01DCrypt3rRobertFgranneFeenixmusterjDESIi1rsschaapANDREWFBACHPuckJweaverlaffer1 14 votes
Ring
58%
dTrickMarcgroutsGlenBo84jw_nedMcGruffMurrayCversbountyKenvRPinIArourmanpjlaskeRobrippinRainCastergp1292DonaldtreeOlliesshopFabian 45 votes
Sky
5%
alister55BatraDbrooksiebStockdale 4 votes
August
2%
YsbrandNavek 2 votes
Neatamo
0%
Doorsafe 6600
1%
Yes 1 vote
Wyze
0%
RemoBell
1%
medvyed 1 vote
DIY Arduino/pie cam
2%
wlaarhovjamfac 2 votes
Other
10%
smarkhampietervanharenSpaceProotwadlJimiHendricksBrientimvulcansheartKAM 8 votes
VioletChepilRobinCiaranYesMarcShesTeachable

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,474 admin
    Bumping this one! I am not using one yet, but I hope to get one based on these results! 

Community Manager at Fing

• VincenzoVincenzo Member Posts: 3
    Ring
    It’s a fantastic device. Highly recommend not only a doorbell but other cameras depending on size of your space.
    VioletChepil
  • HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭
    I have none right now, but I'm interested on the result to see what's the "common denominator"
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepil
  • DCrypt3rDCrypt3r Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    edited November 20
    Nest

I’ve had the new Ring Door View (Peep Hole) Doorbell camera but it had a problem with a very echoing communal stairwell lobby outside my front door. The callers voice echoed so much in this area that the Ring’s echo cancellation kept kicking in suppressing his audio and I couldn’t hear the caller.

The nest hello doorbell promises advanced noise suppression tech on its audio so I’ll update this once it’s installed next week.

VioletChepilHronos
  • RCColaRCCola Member Posts: 1

I dont have one yet considering options....

VioletChepil
  • bountybounty Member Posts: 2
    Ring

I've had a Ring doorbell for about two years now, really happy with it. I added the Ring Chime so non app users would be notified, and the Ring Pro Chime to boost the signal throughout the house. Highly recommended.

NavekMcGruffVioletChepil
  • bountybounty Member Posts: 2
    Ring

Another note on the Ring - different app users can have different settings. For instance, my wife has motion detection alerts on her phone, where I only get notifications when the bell is pressed. I take the unit in overnight once every couple of months to charge it.

NavekHronosMarcMcGruffVioletChepilpjlaske
  • MarcMarc Member, Beta Tester Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ring
    +1 for the ring...  A couple of things to keep in mind..  Depending on the model, the less expensive ring doorbell is kind of wide so you need some room to install it.  Signal is everything for these so whichever make or model you buy, either make sure it can be returned if it can’t receive WiFi or be prepared to put in a range extender so it can.  If your normal doorbell uses a transformer and wired chime setup, the ring can utilize it as well for power and announcement. It can work without a hard wired hook up but you will need to recharge it periodically and buy a remote chime if you want to hear it without your phone. 
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    McGruffVioletChepil
  • pwmeekpwmeek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    None here, but interested.

Currently in an apartment where I have no control/access over the outside entrance door beyond the intercom/door-buzzer provided by management. Sooner or later, I will find a house that suits.

Formerly, I had a "dumb" camera/doorbell (Seidle) at the old house that provided baseband video over co-ax to the smarthouse center where the video was distributed at various times by Extron and AutoPatch matrix video switches, and finally by an AXIS 241 blade video encoder/server.
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    McGruffVioletChepilNavek
  • atomicboyatomicboy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 50 ✭✭
    I continue to wait for the Netatmo Door Bell to be released. I like the idea of no ongoing service fee.
    VioletChepilNavek
  • McGruffMcGruff Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    edited November 20
    Ring
    After seeing the Ring Doorbell in action we had to have one.  I must have entered the Ring bias At the right time because they just came out with the model that hooks up to your existing doorbell wiring.  This was very important since the earlier models had a battery which you had to recharge.  Liking the Ring doorbell we now have two ring cams.  I must note here that I may be necessary to go with a mesh network so all devices work on the WiFi appropriately.  All said I could not be happier and planning two additional ring cameras (one using solar).  The mesh I went with was Eero, which as an added benefit the Fing plays very well with.  This was two years ago so there may be better (less expensive) mesh networks out there, but all in all we’ve been happy with all.
    VioletChepilShesTeachable
  • BrientimBrientim Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Other

I reviewed numerous but ended up selecting Doorbird.

The Doorbird is considerably more expensive than a number of others, but the quality, functionality, and expansion options made me select it.

I purchased it during a Black Friday sale which had them at 40% off a number of years ago so it ended up not being that expensive as compared to a number of others listed.

• groutsgrouts Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Ring

I have Ring doorbell, stickup cam and floodlight cam at my place, and Ring doorbells at my parents and mother In-laws.. fantastic for monitoring them as well as my place when I travel.

One thing I would like comments on is which smart door-cams are least hackable, and which are warranted to NOT be sharing facial recognition data with anyone outside myself.
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    VioletChepilMcGruff
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,474 admin
    Oh this is also a great question @pwmeek ! We could also start up a new thread on this one too. (Sometimes, if there is another question within a question it's tough to get responses on). But I'd be happy to also promote that content on "Which door-cams are least hackable!" 

Community Manager at Fing

McGruff
  • ProotwadlProotwadl Member Posts: 4
    Other

I do not use a doorbell camera at all. I don't like having the camera exposed to the outside or to tampering.

Instead, I have a series of Yi cameras pointing outside my windows in various places, including one on the side window right on the side of my front door.

If somebody wants to take my camera, they'll have to break my window.

MarcVioletChepilHronosMcGruffTT068
  • DonSDonS Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    Ring
    If you're deciding between Ring or Nest, please consider how many cameras that you'd like in the future. 
    Both companies have plans that include multiple cameras and the prices can change depending on quantity. I had a Dropcam for many years, which was then purchased by Nest, and at the time I chose Ring the Nest didn't have good plans, but they have gotten competitive now.
    VioletChepil
  • StevenSteven Member, Beta Tester Posts: 13
    Ring
    We installed a Ring Video Doorbell 2 early this spring, and added a Ring Chime a couple of months later. It replaced the lighted doorbell button that was likely installed in the house when it was built in 1976, so I simply used the existing transformer wiring to power it. At the time, I was using an Apple AirPort Extreme for my WiFi, and there was a noticeable lag between activity and an alert. Midsummer, I replaced the aging Airport with a there-pack of Eero Pro network, and the lag disappeared completely.

Apparently, previous iterations of the software allowed to manually "draw" areas to include or ignore, but that's not the case since installing ours. I can adjust the distance the device supposedly detects, and toggle on/off three sectors (left, center, and right.) The front door faces a road, and is about 50 feet back. I initially had the distance set to just short of the road (about 80% on the slider), and it detected every passing vehicle. I adjusted repeatedly to ever shorter distances, until only trucks set off the motion sensor. The slider is now set to about 20% of full distance. To eliminate all passing vehicles, I had to turn off the center sector completely.

Other than that, we've been very pleased with the Ring doorbell, especially since moving to the Eero system.
    Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
    McGruff
    edited November 22
    Oh this is also a great question @pwmeek ! We could also start up a new thread on this one too. (Sometimes, if there is another question within a question it's tough to get responses on). But I'd be happy to also promote that content on "Which door-cams are least hackable!" 

Done: 
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/2124/smart-doorbell-cameras-hackable-or-privacy-compromised/p1?new=1
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    VioletChepil
  • DonSDonS Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    Ring
    Steven said:
    Apparently, previous iterations of the software allowed to manually "draw" areas to include or ignore, but that's not the case since installing ours. I can adjust the distance the device supposedly detects, and toggle on/off three sectors (left, center, and right.)
    Motion zones are available on the Android App - Navigate to Devices, select your device. Click the Device Setting button, then Motion Settings is on the top of page. Open that and click Motion Zones. Then you draw a zone with your finger.
    StevenVioletChepil
  • StevenSteven Member, Beta Tester Posts: 13
    Ring
    DonS said:
    Motion zones are available on the Android App - Navigate to Devices, select your device. Click the Device Setting button, then Motion Settings is on the top of page. Open that and click Motion Zones. Then you draw a zone with your finger.
    Ah, that must have been the same as the old method on iOS. Current is two step: first a slider to set the distance, then continue on to toggling on/off the three segments.

I understand that on some of the other Ring products, it is still as you describe. Just not the Video Doorbell 2 on iOS.
    Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
    VioletChepil
  • BetaFingerBetaFinger Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    Is it possible to get Doorsafe 6600 in the USA?

VioletChepil
  • KenvKenv Shropshire UKMember, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Ring
    We went with a Ring Pro which in the UK comes with a transformer producing 16-24 volts AC. Apparently in the UK, and I suspect other parts of Europe wired doorbells run on 12 volts. In addition we had two Ring chimes (one might have been included with the kit). It works pretty well, but tends to be slow to send a notification to our phones and presumably any related Alexa devices if we had any, which we don't.
    I was looking at adding a Ring outdoor camera but this requires an external power supply to plug it into. It comes with a pre-wired plug (EU requirement) which if cut off to feed the cable through the wall to an internal power point invalidates the warranty!!
    So I went with NEST for that and now wonder if the NEST Hello doorbell might have been the best option.
    VioletChepil
  • MarcMarc Member, Beta Tester Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ring
    Kenv said:
    We went with a Ring Pro which in the UK comes with a transformer producing 16-24 volts AC. Apparently in the UK, and I suspect other parts of Europe wired doorbells run on 12 volts. In addition we had two Ring chimes (one might have been included with the kit). It works pretty well, but tends to be slow to send a notification to our phones and presumably any related Alexa devices if we had any, which we don't.
    I was looking at adding a Ring outdoor camera but this requires an external power supply to plug it into. It comes with a pre-wired plug (EU requirement) which if cut off to feed the cable through the wall to an internal power point invalidates the warranty!!
    So I went with NEST for that and now wonder if the NEST Hello doorbell might have been the best option.
    Ring does sell this one in the states, the stick up battery.  I'm assuming its not available in the UK? No power supply needed but you do have to remove the battery to recharge from time to time.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepil
  • KenvKenv Shropshire UKMember, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Ring
    Marc said:
    Ring does sell this one in the states, the stick up battery.  I'm assuming its not available in the UK? No power supply needed but you do have to remove the battery to recharge from time to time.
    Hi Marc,
    I decided against the battery option as the position of the camera (about 8 feet high) and the limited access to even safely put a ladder up to it.
    Plus you can guarantee the battery runs out just at the most inconvenient time!!
    MarcVioletChepil
  • McGruffMcGruff Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Ring
    Just a note regarding the battery for Ring Products use. When I owned Reolink IP cameras that was the only option.  Ring has easy to recharge extended life batteries, (of course extended life always depends on types of detections and how often).  I went with the Solar panel option on my last purchase and could not be happier. 
    VioletChepil
  • RainCasterRainCaster My deskMember, Beta Tester Posts: 16
    Ring

I have both a Ring and a Wyze camera too. Also a 8 camera night owl system.

VioletChepil
  • RPinIARPinIA Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
    Ring
    I use Ring Pro on each of my 2 homes. 
  • vulcansheartvulcansheart Member, Beta Tester Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2
    Other
    I am not using a smart doorbell per se. Rather, I am using a motion zone within the view of my front door surveillance camera in combination with Blue Iris software. When motion triggers the system, it sends a MMS to my phone with a photo. At that point I can pull up a streaming camera feed via an HTTPS URL back to my NVR, which requires reverse DNS, reverse proxy, and a certbot certificate.
    I choose this system because it is device agnostic (uses any browser), locally managed (I own my data), flexible (PTZ camera can look around the property), and free for life after the cost of the Blue Iris software.
    41 4c 4c 20 59 4f 55 52 20 42 41 53 45 20 41 52 45 20 42 45 4c 4f 4e 47 20 54 4f 20 55 53
  • SimoneSpinozziSimoneSpinozzi Member, Beta Tester Posts: 77 ✭✭✭
    none. My doorbel just has a camera, thank this noodly goodness for the small gifts of one less security nightmare.