‘My wifes account info is appearing on my network’ – yes I've tried turning it on and off again😊

So, I recently purchased a new phone. I started updating my phone with Apps and contacts etc. There were some accounts whereby I went to log in and my wife’s details were saved (e.g. card details, Facebook log ins etc.). With her permission, I clicked ‘Log in’, and it worked. My concern is why? It is not too worrying as it is my wife, however, my concern is, without understanding exactly how this happened, who else’s account could I access and, more concerning, who could potentially access my account/s? (of course step 1 is change all passwords). Any other ideas to completely reset everything ideas? – this an issue I find challenging with Smart homes and connected devices if I am honest

VioletChepilRobin_from_FingCiaran

Comments

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Notta_Donkey1
    Could this be related to your browser settings? This often happens on my home network - and the users details are stored through the gmail browser settings. This could be linked through devices using icloud keychain I believe?
    Anyone else have anything to add on this? 

Community Manager at Fing

Notta_Donkey1
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

• Notta_Donkey1
    Notta_Donkey1 Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Thanks Violet, it may be the case. Logged into so many different accounts its hard to keep track of whats connected to what. I wouldnt be a complete tech whiz (as is probably obvious) but I would categorize myself as a standard user, however, with all the different accounts i have lost track on whats connected to what and seeing account details pop up was definatly a concern. I suppose if anybody had any advise on simple steps to reset and avoid this going forward it would be really helpful. Thank you
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,884
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Apple and google have the options of saving passwords and account login details if you allow it.  Might even be enabled by default.  This function will travel with the logged in user so if you wife ever used your phone or browser to log into a service with her credentials, its saved to your account etc.  This might be what your seeing.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepil
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for the delay in response, as we move closer to the holiday seasons our outlets are a lot busier which means by proxy, so am I.
    I'm wondering if you initiated a restore from a previous device for your wife.  If so then it would also migrate saved accounts to the new phone, including passwords.
    As far as someone else obtaining that information, they would need to log into whatever service in order to do that.  As long as you maintain a strong password and use two-factor authentication for that account, you are generally pretty safe.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    MarcVioletChepilHronos
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭
    I think your issue may revolve around your account, presumably with Apple. If you add other users to your account, which allows app sharing & keeps costs down, your account information in the keychain (username & password store) is shared with the other user(s) devices, a big disadvantage with this method. You could prove if this is the issue by setting up a new Apple account for yourself then reset the phone (don’t forget to back it up first). Then when setting the phone up use the new account & password, and then you should find your problem resolved. However, I pretty sure app sharing can’t be done across different accounts. Someone reading this may be able to confirm if that is the case.
    VioletChepil
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,884
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Apple site login and password info stays with the individual account, regardless if a family plan or not. What does moves across is financial, backup, location and app/music purchasing. 
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepil