Chromecast - my chromecast constantly disconnects from my wifi

Joe_Joe_ Member Posts: 8
Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
✭✭

My Chromecast constantly disconnects from my wifi. I have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to reconnect. Any ideas on how to fix this? Does anyone else have this issue?

VioletChepilRobinCiaran

Best Answers

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,799
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Joe_ and welcome to the forums...  Where to start...  There are so many variables that can cause WiFi drop out.  Everything from a weak signal, to signal interference from Microwave ovens.  When this issue happened with mine, it was a weak signal and I eventually bought range extenders.  

Did you try to reset the Chromecast?  AKA, do a complete wipe and reinitialize it?  Is there anything else in its vicinity that also has the drop out issue?  Does this happen while your watching or only when its off?  Could there be anything else in the area that its installed in that could be interfering with it?  

There are other people in these forums that I’m sure will chime in but if you can let us know what type of troubleshooting you have already done and a bit more specifics, it might help.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Joe_Joe_ Member Posts: 8
    ✭✭

I have done a complete reset already. It drops out when it's not in use. My modem/router is right next to my tv where the Chromecast is plugged in. It's the only device in my house that drops from the wifi.

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Joe_ just bumping this thread to the homepage. (I slightly modified the title to try and garner some more responses).
    Thanks @mark
    @Pixelpopper @kltaylor @Pooh @Hronos @Crowgrandfather @vulcansheart - anything to add that could help? 

Community Manager at Fing

Joe_
  • vulcansheartvulcansheart Member, Beta Tester Posts: 117
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 5 Answers 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    After the Chromecast drops from the network, do you have to re-enter the key/password to reconnect? Or, will it reconnect automatically?
    41 4c 4c 20 59 4f 55 52 20 42 41 53 45 20 41 52 45 20 42 45 4c 4f 4e 47 20 54 4f 20 55 53
    VioletChepil
  • HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Joe_ I used to have a similar problem with mine, but by interference. I have read than it could be a problem of firmware (on the Chromecast or Router/AP side).

I solve my problem using a USB to LAN adapter for the Chromecast on one of them, but the other one stabilized by itself after a while (I believe a firmware update in the middle).

Keep looking up!
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭

@vulcansheart it reconnects automatically.

✭✭

@Crowgrandfather is the static IP a simple process? I guess I could google to figure the rest out.

VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_ , you could also extend the lease given to your dhcp devices. In many routers default setting, the lease is short, often less then a day. I usually extend mine to a week. You do this via your router dhcp network settings. By extending the lease, the IP address the chrome cast gets will be less likely to change randomnly, which could help here as well as what @Crowgrandfather suggested. Do whatever your more comfortable with.

Joe_VioletChepil
  • CrowgrandfatherCrowgrandfather Member, Beta Tester Posts: 67
    5 Answers 25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭

@Joe_ it's a relatively simple process.it requires you to login to your router and do it from there. If you're using an ISP router you can call them and they can set it for you. But just make sure you tell them you want to set a static private IP address for an internal device. That way they don't think you're asking for a static public IP.

Joe_HronosVioletChepil
    ✭✭

@Crowgrandfather @Marc I have logged into my router and there is a section called "Static Lease." The editable fields are MAC address and IP address. I added the Chromecast info there. Does that sound correct?

VioletChepilHronos
    ✭✭

@Crowgrandfather I will report back after a few days. Thanks again for all your help.

VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Joe_ that is great. Yes, please do report back so we can learn from this case!

Community Manager at Fing

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Joe_, yes that method is fine to maintain the current address on the unit.
    VioletChepil
  • PixelpopperPixelpopper Moderator Posts: 130
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭
    The obvious, potential cause, could well be the close proximity to your router! If you’re still having problems try relocating the router/Chromecast, that is, increase the distance between the two as this could be the “easy fix.” The router’s Wi-fi transmitting power could be interfering & causing the dropouts.
    ✭✭

Unfortunately the static IP is not working. @Pixelpopper it also disconnects when it's plugged into my TV upstairs. I'm not sure what the issue is.

VioletChepil
  • HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Joe_ are you connecting your Chromecast power to an USB port directly on the TV set?
    It's know that USB ports on the TV set have 2 restrictions.
    1. They have not the sufficient current to supply to a power hungry device (like the Chromecast)
    2. They tend to be turned off when the TV is turned off.
    Maybe this is your problem, your Chromecast is trying to stay on with that restrictions? Try to power the Chromecast with it's original cable and adapter.
    Do you have "disconnections" when you are using the Chromecast?
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepil
  • MeganmartinMeganmartin Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    There are many reasons for disconnecting Chromecast.
    Try to reconnect it, i also facing same problem and this article help me out
    You can also try may this will help you. Chromecast WiFi Connectivity Issues 

Please check the article.

✭✭

Just providing an update. I ended up moving and my internet provider installed a new modem and router and now none of my devices disconnect. I guess it was the old hardware I was using. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Pixelpopper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear..  Thanks for the update!
  • darkmanttdarkmantt Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Joe_ said:

My Chromecast constantly disconnects from my wifi. I have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to reconnect. Any ideas on how to fix this? Does anyone else have this issue?

Hi Joe. I had this issue too. It would connect then next time it wouldnt. I solved the problem by plugging the cast into its own USB power head rather than the TV's USB power socket. It means the cast is left on (unless I flick switch) and I just use remote to turn TV on and off and this works for me.