Set static IP for Fingbox

HronosHronos Beta Tester Posts: 288
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
✭✭✭✭
I haven't found a way to set a static IP to the Fingbox (at the FingApp, Fingbox settings), not other than reserving it via the router DHCP reservation table.
But, what if I am on a network without a DHCP Server enable?
Keep looking up!
VioletChepilMarcViperGeekRobertPJonMartinCPTBHronoszipDCBetaFingerDarrenHillOKCRockinRikNexxZL4DCTazkikaSonulaladstrohlcryptoknightMchokozi1Diane_MMikeFing
21 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,277
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
     To avoid DHCP the fingbox would need to allow the device that's running the Fingapp to connect to it so an IP address and any other initial configuration items can be assigned?  This is kind of how one configures Wemo devices out of the box.  Not an unreasonable scenario seeing that you need the app anyway in order to use the fingbox properly...

EDIT: @Hronos , should this be moved to an enhancement request with upvote capabilities?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • HronosHronos Beta Tester Posts: 288
    ✭✭✭✭
    Marc said:
    EDIT: @Hronos , should this be moved to an enhancement request with upvote capabilities?
    Sure! it could.
    Keep looking up!
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok I shall move it there :) 

Community Manager at Fing

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I can confirm that the static IP address must be set by the DHCP reservation table. Rather than from the app/box. I've now made this a feature request and you can add your upvotes too.

Community Manager at Fing

• HronosHronos Beta Tester Posts: 288
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Normally in a home network you will almost always find a DHCP server, but in an enthusiast one you can find out than we, some times, are capable or willing to annoying configurations to control our network to the maximum detail xD

Keep looking up!
  • RobertPRobertP Member Posts: 7
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    edited February 10
    +1 
    I also vote for making it possible to set a real static IP on fingbox.
    Reason: if my DHCP Server has a problem fingbox looses network connection - at least after restarting the box with no active DHCP in the network.
    I know this should not happen under normal circumstances, but If DHCP stopped working fingbox is also useless for checking the network.

PS: I use my Fingbox only to monitor network outages and security
    Kind Regards
    Robert
  • CPTBCPTB Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    I highly recommend being able to set a static IP within the FingBox because I have currently have its IP reserved in my router but it doesn't seem to work. Previously when I was using my WIndows server to handle DHCP, it also wasn't successful in forcing the FingBox to the IP I reserved for it.
    Today, I found using Fing on my phone, a device being blocked by the FingBox and couldn't unblock it. I got on my computer and using another  network scanning tool, I found that the FingBox took the IP that I reserved for the device that the FingBox was blocking. Note, that the Fing program didn't alert me that two devices were using the same IP! I double checked the MAC addresses and I am totally confused why the FingBox won't take the IP I have reserved for it and it changed it itselfself to an IP I had set for another device. Since the FingBox doesn't want to use a reserved IP I think it would be great to be able to set it to a static IP that is also outside the DHCP server range.
    Nexx
  • CPTBCPTB Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Well miracles of miracles. I turned of the switch port that the FingBox off and after posting my rant above, the FingBox took the IP I reserved for it after I turned the switch port back on. Seems unplugging the power of the FingBox to try to force it to the reserved IP doesn't work. If you could set the FingBox to a static IP it would be an advantage since not everyone has a router or server that let's you reserve IPs.
  • OKCOKC Member, Beta Tester Posts: 62
    5 Answers 10 Comments 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    Any progress on setting the fingbox to a static IP Address?
  • RockinRikRockinRik Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic

Static IP address is commonplace for most modern devices. Please add this simple feature to Fingbox.

Nexx
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,277
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    RockinRik said:

Static IP address is commonplace for most modern devices. Please add this simple feature to Fingbox.

Please upvote the feature request.  Go to the top of the thread and click on the up arrow.  Thx!
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • FabianFabian Member, Beta Tester Posts: 34
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited May 27
    FWIW, I had no issues assigning my Fingbox a static IP address with my Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11ac.
  • mjbmjb Member Posts: 3
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

Do you mean you assigned it a dhcp reservation and it took the reservation as it should have?

• FabianFabian Member, Beta Tester Posts: 34
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    Yes, I assigned it 10.0.1.3 (DHCP Reservations) and it's maintained that address without any problems.
    Hello,
    yes sure this is working here also but this was not the point.
    If DHCP service is down for unknown reason or fingbox is used in an environment without a DHCP server it would be usefull to setup a fixed IP in fing configuration
    regards Robert
  • Finguser13Finguser13 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    @Finguser13 this was/is  not a question
    here is the feature request section of the forum   ;-)
    Marc
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 144
    100 Comments 100 Likes 25 Agrees 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    While I do see a need for a static IP, right now the Fingbox will only discover and monitor the single vlan it's installed on.  So if the Fingbox allowed a staic IP, you could be trying to discover a different vlan than what the box is seeing.  For example I have a main and guest network setup in my Ubiquiti system but Fing only sees the main network.
  • Jackwong64Jackwong64 Member Posts: 10
    5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    I have been asking for this feature since I got my first fingbox from kick starter.

I was told to do it from the router/firewall but why can’t they open this settings for us?! I am sure its there but its locked/hidden.

If we go under the settings and scroll to the bottom, the network configuration is dynamic IP, can’t we just an option for us to configure it?!
    RobertP