Smart Home hubs - who has the most plugged into their home network?

GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in Devices & Security
Isn't it a shame that there's isn't greater compatibility among smart home devices - so that you can get away with just one hub, saving money and router sockets. Or better yet, that Zigbee, Z-wave etc are built into the wifi router, so you don't need extra hardware.

So, who in this community has the most hubs? I have 3: Hive, Hue and one just for the Filimin Friendship light.

Beat that?!
Head of Product at Fing
VioletChepiladam

Comments

• limurlimur Member, Beta Tester Posts: 24
    10 Comments 5 Likes Founder Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I have 3 as well;
    Harmony, Hue and SmartThings. Don't use the Harmony one much now 'cause Alexa and Google Home have most things covered. 
    Oh! I have a Google Nest Hub as well. Does that make 4?
    ...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...
    Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
  • GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    ✭✭✭
    Oh - I forgot Harmony (wasn't thinking about the wifi connected ones)
    In that case, I'm on 4.
    And yes @limur, Nest Hub makes it 4 for you too!
    Head of Product at Fing
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, just thought - Ring Chime Pro probably counts as a Hub too.
    In which case, I'm on 5! 
    • Hive hub
    • Philips Hue Hub
    • Filimin
    • Ring Chime Pro
    • Harmony
    Can't see anyone beating that
    Head of Product at Fing
    limur
  • adamadam Member, Beta Tester Posts: 62
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Agrees Founder
    ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    It's a nightmare isn't it.  This is the reality, no real standards, tons of unnecessary hardware hubs.    I have

• SmartThings
    • Hue
    • SwitchBot
    • A raspberry Pi *

* maybe this is cheating but it does monitor things for me such as my UPS and alerts me of power outages via email.   It does tons of other things such as provide me home VPN access from anywhere as well as being a log server and checking the state of some cameras I have. 

It's also going to become an environmental sensor soon once I have time to put a HAT on it.
    VioletChepil
  • JohnJohn Member Posts: 108
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    • Tado Thermostats x3 +radiator valves x6
    • Countless Hue bulbs, all rooms + garden + motion sensors
    • Smart home alarm 
    • Sonos with Alexa
    • Denon with HEOS / Alexa
    • Amazon Echos x3
    • Yo Home Camera for nursery
    • About 8x Tile's (love them but don't think they count)
    All powered by Home Assistant on a Rasperry Pi
    No ring yet but considering it hard wired.  Have google homes but not using in favour of Alexa.  Also Samsung Smart things on the TV but don't use it (tried for security and ditched it for a dedicated alarm)
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hi @John you have a lot of kit there but I how many hubs do you have? Those blocks of plastic you have to plug into your network primarily as a relay/bridge for another wireless device
    Head of Product at Fing
    ddaw215
    ✭✭✭
    adam said:
    It's a nightmare isn't it.  This is the reality, no real standards, tons of unnecessary hardware hubs.    I have
    • SmartThings
    • Hue
    • SwitchBot
    What's a SwitchBot?
    Head of Product at Fing
  • JohnJohn Member Posts: 108
    ✭✭✭
    Gidster said:
    Hi @John you have a lot of kit there but I how many hubs do you have? Those blocks of plastic you have to plug into your network primarily as a relay/bridge for another wireless device
    34 bulbs I think, plus the entertainment bars and LED strips in the kitchen.  They all run from a single bridge!
    VioletChepil
  • RomulusRomulus Member, Beta Tester Posts: 35
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Agrees Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Let me see:
    • Zwave (Driven by OpenHab)
    • LaCrosse Hub (Temperature sensors)
    • Accurite Hub (Weather station)
    Lots of network devices, I have upwards of 65 active network devices on a typical day... 
    GidsterVioletChepil
  • adamadam Member, Beta Tester Posts: 62
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Agrees Founder
    ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Gidster said:
    What's a SwitchBot?

It's fantastic @Gidster if you live in a house that you don't want to replace walls switches - or it's rented - allowing your lights (and actually pretty much anything else analogue) to become smart.    Check it out here.

The whole setup is pretty affordable as well.  I can really recommend them for analogue stuff you want to get automated.   The disposable batteries really do last around a year or so in my experience in the switches and they are easily replaceable.  

They have IFTTT integration along with all the home assistants.  I have things setup such as
    • Lights outside the house come on/off automatically at the official local sunsets/sunrise times
    • If someone rings my Ring Doorbell and its nighttime certain lights come on to suggest we are always home

I have a friend that uses a switchbot to turn parts of his fancy coffee making system on once he is at a certain location from home so its warmed up by the time he arrives!
    GidsterVioletChepil
  • PaulPPaulP Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
    5 Likes Founder Photogenic First Comment
    ✭✭
    Not as many as some:
    • Sonos
    • Hue
    • Surepet (for smart cat doors)
    • Axial Server (formerly InControl) for automation
    • I use LifX as well but there's no hub of course so doesn't really count.
    • Googel Home for control as well, and some Wemo devices.

GidsterVioletChepil
  • ddaw215ddaw215 Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Likes Photogenic
    I see a lot of smart devices but not really hubs? I use;
    Hue
    Insteon
    Harmony x 2
    Everything else either runs via Google home or Mac server
    VioletChepil
  • MirekmalMirekmal Member, Beta Tester Posts: 66
    ✭✭✭
    Hm... everything depends on what you count as hub... So I do have real hubs:
    - home assistant as main automation hub, running on Raspberry Pi 3B+ (hassio flavour)
    - IKEA Tradfri hub (~60 light bulbs and swithes connected to)
    Then, if you count also different intergation with other systems:
    - Google Home Mini
    - 2x Harmony Hub (SmatHub and Elite)
    - Netatmo Weather Station
    - Z-Wave USB stick integrated with hassio (and several different remotes, dimmers and wall swithces). This also allows me to integrate non smart devices like lawn mover, garage doors, irrigation system into my home automation.
    - Denon with Heos, 
    - oh... does Fingbox count?
    VioletChepil
  • cjohlandtcjohlandt Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
    5 Likes Founder First Comment Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Great question!  By my count, I have 7.  I started with HomeSeer years ago, and that serves as a hub for my Z-Wave network and other systems.  Over the years I've added Sonos, two Honeywell Redlink gateways, a MyQ gateway, a Hue hub, and a BloomSky gateway.  I want to start exploring MQTT to see what else I can tie together.
    VioletChepil
  • GadgetVirtuosoGadgetVirtuoso Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments 5 Likes Founder Photogenic
    ✭✭
    1. Wemo Bridge
    2. Hue
    3. Arlo
    4. Tradfri (although not being used anymore)
    5. Harmony (also not being used anymore)
    6. August Connect
    I stopped using the Tradfri products because they work so poorly with HomeKit and got the Hue lights instead. I stopped using the Harmony because I'm primarily using AppleTV and don't need the universal remote when you're no longer controlling a bunch of AV gear.
    VioletChepilGidster
  • YapFlapperYapFlapper Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    edited September 2019

I have:

1. Hubitat Elevation (HE)

2. Harmony Hub

I have HE for home automation (HA) and physical security. I use Hamony for automation and management of my home entertainment system.

I use Google Home for voice and notifications.

Integration and interconnectivity is working well.

I started with Harmony many years ago to automate my home entertainment system. My first smart devices were two Ecobee thermostats. I received them with the new HVAC system we had to put in. I added them to Harmony, but rarely controlled them once I set up schedules in the Ecobee app.

I upgraded my WiFi system to Orbi from Netgear. This greatly improved performance.

My daughter got me a Google mini for Christmas 2018. I added my Ecobees and my Harmony hub to Google Home for voice control.

I next put in some WEMO switches, dimmers, and plugs for lamps, lights, and fans. I added the Wemo devices to Harmony and Google Home. It added voice control for the Harmony rules controlling game consoles, Tivo, TV, Amp, Roku, etc.

After experiencing many cloud service outages (Ecobee, Google, Wemo), I decided to to go with locally controlled solutions and get away from the cloud dependencies.

After extensive research I went with Hubitat Elevation. I mostly use Zigbee devices, but recently added some Z-Wave devices.

I replaced my old alarm panel with Konnected and a Zigbee window contact switch to replace a broken wire going to a window sensor. I replaced the old wired keypads with Centralite 3400s which use Zigbee. I also added a Yale Assurance SL lock with the Zigbee module. My first Z-wave device is an Aeotek Doorbell/Siren for chimes and alarm siren.

I recently added some Sylvania RGBW LED strips and smart light bulbs that also use Zigbee.

All of the devices are in Hubitat, Harmony, and Google Home where compatible.

I use Fingbox, IFTTT, Orbi for geofence presence. I rely on Fing and Fingbox for confirming device and Internet availability, connectivity, and security vulnerability. I also use them for verifying DHCP permanent leases for my wired and WiFi devices.

All in all, it has been a great experience, that was helped along by having Fing and Fingbox.

YF

Gidster
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,348
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No hubs, all devices run on my network via WiFi. Most of the iOT devices controlled via Alex or Siri. 
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Gidster
  • fuzzysbfuzzysb Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited September 2019
    I currently have
    • Phillips Hue
    • Tado Heating
    • Unifi Cloud Key (Dont think this counts though :) )
    I run Homeseer on a server, this box now has Zwave, Zigbee (DeConz), 433mhz (RFXCOM) and Bluetooth
    I used to have a lot more hubs, but i have managed to move nearly everything onto the Homeseer server. i have about 20 Hue lights left to move over , just a slow process doing it and re-pointing the automation to the new lights. but soon i will be able to drop the Hue Hub aswell, leaving me with just the Tado Bridge.

Edit. oh yeah, i also have 3 harmony Hubs, but i dont really class them as hubs but i suppose they are as they are a bridge for IR

Gidster
  • MDavideMDavide Member Posts: 48
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

Mumble mumble... my smarthome devices are:

• Hue lights
    • Tado thermostat and valves
    • Alexa Echo dot here and there
    • Nest protect in some "critical" areas
    • Powerbot vacuum cleaner
    • dlink cameras in and out
    but I can manage all of them through wifi and two hubs: Hue and Tado :p
    Davide
    GidsterVioletChepil
    ✭✭✭
    @MDavide is your vacuum cleaner connected to the Internet?
    Head of Product at Fing
    JMD
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,348
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidster said:
    @Gidster, do you plan on remotely cleaning his house?   :D
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    MDavideVioletChepil
  • MDavideMDavide Member Posts: 48
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Gidster said:
    yes, it is. I get notifications in case it gets stuck somewhere, notifs when it starts/stops cleaning and a map of what it did and I can manage all from remote in case of need. 
    Davide
    MarcVioletChepilGidster