Why is my connected device not showing in Fing?

AustinJerry
AustinJerry Member Posts: 108
Third Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper
✭✭✭
I have a device connected to my wireless network which has a valid IP address and is pingable.  

Yet, when I look at the device in Fing's device list, I am seeing its status as "Not in Network", and no IP address is shown (the screen shot is hard to read, but the highlighted section says "Not in network"). Can someone explain how this can happen?

Fingbox owner from the beginning

Best Answer

• AustinJerry
    AustinJerry Member Posts: 108
    Third Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    #2 Answer ✓
    Thank you for your quick response.  Here is what I have found out.  First of all, the location permissions on the Fing app were set to "While using the app".  I changed this to "Always".  Not sure why location access would make a difference.
    Next, I re-cycled the DirecTV device.  When the device came back online, I received an alert from Fing, and the device is now shown in the device list as Online, with an IP address.  

This is another example of a peculiarity with network discovery when there are multiple devices sitting "behind" a primary device on the network.  Here is the layout of my DirecTV satellite receivers:

Fing shows the IP address of the HR24 (39), not the HR54 (204), and shows three IP addresses associated with the device, but doesn't identiy the devices specifically::

The router also shows three devices, and strangely shows a different IP address (189):

All three devices are pingable on the network.  This is a good example of the difficulty of network discovery to correctly identify a network configuration in which multiple devices are connected behind a primary device.  It is unclear why Fing sees IP 39, the router sees IP 189, and neither sees IP 204, the primary DirecTV device.

Regardless, this issue is resolved, and thanks for the help.
    Fingbox owner from the beginning
    VioletChepil

Answers

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @AustinJerry
    May I ask what device you are using? Android/iPhone.
    Have you enabled all the new required location permissions and set them to ALWAYS?
    There are new requirements for iOS13 and Android 10 in terms of location permissions so Fing App can complete all the scanning.
    If not, you can re-install the app and accept the location permissions (while using the app), set them to ALWAYS and log out and log back in.
    Let me know and we can take the troubleshooting from there!

Community Manager at Fing

AustinJerry
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @AustinJerry for the feedback and detailed explanation on this.
    Indeed yours is the BEST ANSWER :)
    Cheers

Community Manager at Fing