Device presence too slow

JonSaundersJonSaunders Member, Beta Tester Posts: 12
5 Likes Founder Photogenic First Comment
✭✭
I am using IFTTT to connect my Fing box with a TP-Link smart plug.  I set up an IFTTT applet to power off my garage door opener when my phone leaves my network and power it back on again when I return.  The problem is the lag time between the time I pull into my driveway and the opener is powered on.  I have a strong Wi-fi signal in the driveway.  Why should it take 30 seconds for the applet to execute?  Is it the phone slow to acquire the Wi-fi signal?  Is the Fing box slow to "see" the phone?  Suggestions?
VioletChepil

Best Answer

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    More from our dev team here:
    Typical detection time of devices should stay within a minute.
    When Fingbox detects device entering the network, it forces a refresh for faster alert/discovery. Typical duration is 20 seconds, as the discovery must always be very conservative towards network performances (in the past we had to slow it down a bit).
    It’s not only about Fingbox but much more on your mobile device that is not connecting to your wi-fi network instantly, but periodically checking for known networks.

Community Manager at Fing

Answers

• gfondeurgfondeur Member, Beta Tester Posts: 8
    Photogenic 5 Likes Founder First Comment
    ✭✭

On all honesty, I think it's gonna be very hard to achieve what you need in less than 30 seconds

PoohRobinVioletChepilHronos
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 160
    100 Comments 100 Likes 25 Agrees First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Because once your device is "seen" by Fing, the command then has to travel from your phone to your network, out to IFTTT, back your network then to execute said command.  If it's only taking 30 seconds then I think you're doing great.

Law of network physics applies here.  Think of that IFTTT service as a car that has to get from your house to the store and back and the fastest that can be done is 30 seconds, regardless of traffic, stop lights, intersections, etc.
    RobinHronos
  • JEspoJEspo Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
    5 Likes Photogenic Founder First Answer
    ✭✭
    Change the "State change timeout" on the device to the lowest (1 minute), and it should be about a minute or so; It won't work quicker than that.
    JonSaundersRobin
  • GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    @Lee_Bo I'm not sure the bottleneck is IFTTT in this case. And while, the more distance/hops a "signal" must jump the longer it should take, there are plenty of examples of much better latency online - think online gaming, where it needs to be just a few milliseconds to ensure playability 
    Head of Product at Fing
    VioletChepil
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 160
    100 Comments 100 Likes 25 Agrees First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Gidster said:
    @Lee_Bo I'm not sure the bottleneck is IFTTT in this case. And while, the more distance/hops a "signal" must jump the longer it should take, there are plenty of examples of much better latency online - think online gaming, where it needs to be just a few milliseconds to ensure playability 
    Yes, however to get that "few milliseconds" everything from your computer to the gaming server (no matter how far away or in the same room) and all hardware/circuits in between have to be running at optimal efficiency, which we all know only happens 0.0000000001% of the time.
  • JonSaundersJonSaunders Member, Beta Tester Posts: 12
    ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Lee_Bo  "once your device is "seen" by Fing, the command then has to travel from your phone to your network, out to IFTTT, back your network then to execute said command. "
    I'm not sure I understand all of your comment above, the part about "from your phone".  I don't see where the phone is involved except in acquiring the Wi-fi signal.  From that point it should only be Fing, IFTTT, and TP-Link.
    My TP-Link smart plugs operate almost instantly when activated by Alexa.  I would expect the same when activated by Fing.

VioletChepil
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 9
    5 Likes Name Dropper First Answer Photogenic
    ✭✭
    My HIVE to IFTTT is almost instant; my FING to IFTTT takes anywhere from 10-40 seconds so there must be a difference in how they are implemented?
    VioletChepil
  • Steen_dBSteen_dB Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment
    I guess it depends how Fing discovers devices. 
    On a switched network, it would have to rely on broadcasts, or ping of all addresses frequently, to see who's currently on the net.
    On wifi it could probably detect the phone as soon as it is in reach of the Fing radio.
    Maybe Fing development could scan more often for special devices, to speed up the discovery of these.
    Maybe it already works faster, if you mark the device as Favorite or Important in the Fing app. Have you tried that?
    JonSaundersVioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Moving this over to the Fingbox category 

• SteveInMASteveInMA Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    IFTTT isn't the best way to accomplish what you want because, as I understand IFTTT, it just wasn't designed to be fast (it's not a gaming protocol) .  Also, the Fing box could take at least a minute to detect you.   As @Lee_Bo mentioned, once you get home and your Fing detects you (at least one minute), the message has to go out from your Fing box to IFTTT then back to your network. That takes some un-guaranteed amount of time.  What should happen is the that IFTTT logic needs to be implemented on your local network to activate a device directly.   IFTTT is very useful, but I don't believe any guaranteed latency times are specified. 
    PoohJonSaundersVioletChepilHronos
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed that it can take my phone up to a minute to connect back to my WiFi once I pull in to my garage.

@JonSaunders there's a world of difference between an Alexa initiated command and what you're looking for here - Alexa is always on, always connected. Your bottleneck here is waiting for not only your phone to reconnect to the WiFi network, but also for the Fingbox to see it.

You may be better served in this case having something on your phone that triggers an event inside a GeoFence, and leaving the Fingbox out of it.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepilHronos
  • JonSaundersJonSaunders Member, Beta Tester Posts: 12
    ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I guess I'm looking for something that doesn't yet exist.  I figured since FingBox is always on and wired into the network, it would be the fastest way to go.
    I could probably make it work with Echo Auto if I were willing to pay for an unlimited data plan.

• YapFlapperYapFlapper Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

If you have a home automation hub such as Hubitat Elevation, SmartThings, etc, you can use a presence sensor paired to your hub. Create a rule that controls lights, garage doors, etc when your presence is detected.

YF

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @JonSaunders please choose a BEST ANSWER if you feel this is answered to your satisfaction! 
    Cheers

• IdroyIdroy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    Local API access would speed up the action for a "Smart Home" to react and eliminate internet connectivity and third player ..

I am a early adopter, working in the professional IT Network sector.
    My Smarthome: Fingbox, Harmony, Fibaro HC2 (wireless sensors, plugs), IFTT, Sonos, IRobot, Echo DOTs, Echo Auto, Alexa App, Yonomi

VioletChepil
  • HronosHronos Beta Tester Posts: 288
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    @JonSaunders, you could try to find an IFTTT applet directly with location (I am not sure there is one, I am new with IFTTT) maybe is quicker than relaying on the box.
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepil