Fing renames devices

Cliffa
Cliffa Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
First Comment Photogenic
Downloaded Fing app several days ago. Identified devices; verified IP address for each Device and assigned custom name to each. However, every once in a while when refreshing Fing to scan, it renames a couple of my devices or reassigns a previously identified device with a different IP address? Why is it doing that?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #2 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Cliffa
    This is likely because location permissions are not set to ALWAYS and instead only set to ONLY WHEN USING THE APP.
    This setting can sometimes mean that customizations are not correctly stored.
    In order to retain all the networks and device customizations saved, please make sure you are signed in to Fing App.

Here are some more details about this: 

Make sure that you have enabled all permissions required for the Fing app to operate. Please go to phone settings and set location permissions so Fing App is able to read the SSID correctly. And also, please make sure that other required permissions for Fing app are enabled as well and then open Fing App and run a scan to see the changes.

With new Android and Apple OS versions, the location permissions are mandatory for the Fing App to operate and identify all the devices on the network.

If you have not enabled the location permissions then every time you scan the network then Fing App will not be able to display the access point name and the device customizations will be lost and revert to the default value(Generic).

If you are using an Apple device to run Fing App, please go to Phone settings, and then enable the ‘Recognise Device’ option to view all information.

If you are using Android, you need to open the Fing App settings, and then look for option ‘Device Recognition’ and enable it.

And, if you are unable to see the location permissions for the Fing App under phone settings then, I would like you to follow these steps and location permissions pop up will appear to be enabled.
    1) Open Fing App and go to ‘Network’ tab
    2) Click on the ISP tab and it will open the Network page
    3) Clear out the Network information such as Address.
    4) Next, to the MAP section, there is a small icon to auto-detect location. Click on the icon and location permissions will be asked.

Let me know if that solves things for you!

Community Manager at Fing

Answers

• Cliffa
    First Comment Photogenic

Thank you. That appears to have helped. However, now Fing has assigned my Epson printer as an Apple iPhone 6 on the far right hand side of the device window. Also, my IP address for my actual iPhone is good but the entire device description is all in gray as though the device were off line. I’m using my iPhone 6 right now sending you this text so I’m not off line. Please explain.

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Cliffa
    I think maybe the location permissions issue is still impacting your app because I've seen the additional thread you posted. 
    Could you follow these steps on all your iOS devices with your account logged in and see if that solves things?
    If you are unable to see the location permissions for the Fing App under phone settings then, I would like you to follow these steps and location permissions pop up will appear to be enabled.
    1) Open Fing App and go to ‘Network’ tab
    2) Click on the ISP tab and it will open the Network page
    3) Clear out the Network information such as Address.
    4) Next, to the MAP section, there is a small icon to auto-detect location. Click on the icon and location permissions will be asked.

Then if you could Log out and Login again to both apps and let me know if that solves things for you.

Robin_from_Fing
  • Cliffa
    First Comment Photogenic
    Think I figured out something on why FING continues to assign my devices with different IP addresses. I read up on IP address assignment and see that there's 2 types; Dynamic and Static. I have Dynamic so from what I see, my addresses are basically rented in essence to me by the Cable provider. Their computers can reassign IP addresses as they see fit. So, I now see that my IP address for my cell phone has been changed by my provider sometime this week along with 3 of my other devices. How does FING handle this situation?
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Cliffa
    Hopefully I can clarify things/options a bit better. 

If using Fingbox - we can detect the devices by MAC address. Android is the same and we're also getting improvements in device ID with Fing desktop. 

On iOS - we are limited to using IP address device detection, because Apple has blocked access to the ARP table on iOS 11+. This means that each time the device changes IP it is seen as a new device. We have no control over this situation and must detect the devices by IP and other best available information. More details are here: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/cant-fing-see-mac-addresses-ios-11/ 

To get better MAC address device identification you could: 
    - get Fingbox: https://www.fing.com/products/fingbox 
    - use Android (we have MAC addresses back): https://community.fing.com/discussion/1796/mac-addresses-are-back-on-android-10-mac-is-back
    - join Fing Desktop beta - where device ID will be much improved for iOS users
    (Access will be coming in next couple of weeks: https://community.fing.com/discussion/1657/fing-desktop-beta-for-windows-and-macos-claim-your-seat/p1)
    Let me know what you think and if you have any more questions about any of the above. 

Hronos