Anyone using it?

Any thoughts about, pros and cons

VioletChepil

Comments

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see what others have to add! I've promoted this one. 

Community Manager at Fing

gfondeur
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lee_Bo @Pooh @Ajax - anything to add on this one? I'm not so familiar with this Samsung Secure Wi-Fi VPN. 

Community Manager at Fing

• Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil depends if the question is being asked in the context of with the Fing, or just general. If it's the former then I'd say it's not required and may even be an impediment as it's designed to allow users to handle unsecured WiFi access points (the sort one often finds in hotels, malls etc.)

That all said, there seems to be nothing obviously special about it that differentiates it from other VPN services. Sounds like another Samsung app thye place on their devices that replicates other services, with the only redeeming\selling point is that it's built into the phone.

@gfondeur unless there's an overwhelming reason, to use it, I'd explore other, more widespread VPN services out there.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepil
  • Lee_Bo
    Lee_Bo Member Posts: 271
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well according to what I've come across:
    "As for VPN usage, you’ll get 250MB of monthly data allowance for free, and after that, a months’ worth of unlimited usage will set you back $2. 24 hours of unlimited usage will run to $1.
    (source https://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-wants-galaxy-s9-buyers-to-use-its-super-cheap-built-in-vpn-service)

Can't vouch for it since I'm not using it but I do have Open VPN set up to connect back to my home network in situations like this.

VioletChepil
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The only VPN that you should strive to use and rely on, is the one that you set up and configure yourself.  Instead of paying someone a monthly fee, purchase a Raspberry Pi and Google search 'Pi VPN.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2019 #7
    kltaylor said:
    The only VPN that you should strive to use and rely on, is the one that you set up and configure yourself.  Instead of paying someone a monthly fee, purchase a Raspberry Pi and Google search 'Pi VPN.
    Or use what you've got - for example my Synology DS 2415+ NAS comes with a veritable plethora of VPN services that we use when we're out and about.

That said, not everything is technically minded. There are some reputable services out there. I'd personally not use Samsung myself :wink:
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    kltaylor
  • Gidster
    Gidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Moving this to Connectivity - it's not so weird (although a little Wonderful!)
    Head of Product at Fing