Internet/mobile speed tests - 2

System
System Administrator Posts: 81
10 Comments Photogenic
admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Internet performance test.

Comments

• Pops7272
    Pops7272 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 16
    10 Comments Photogenic 5 Likes First Answer
    Last successful test in Internet Performance History was on Saturday 9th as 15:29, but on the Internet Performance home screen it is showing successful results from 6 hours ago (Latency 35ms, Download 9.6Mbps, Upload 0.8Mbps)
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Pops7272
    Just gathering a few more details about your case. I've just moved this case into its own thread here. Thanks so much for your help and time with this. 

A few details I need to help our developers troubleshoot:
    - Is this the mobile speed test from Fing App or Fingbox speed tests?
    - Is this impacting manual or automatic speed tests? (If you could clarify if there is any difference in whether this is coming from the manual on the mobile speed test from Fing App)
    - Where is the location where this is happening?

Then after, I can use this information to help investigate. 
    I really appreciate your help with this. Just trying to get to the bottom of the exact variables so we can complete an investigation.

If you need any help or clarification, just let me know. 

Community Manager at Fing

• Pops7272
    Violet
    I am based in South London.  I am running the app (version 8.6.0). on a Sharp Aquos S2 running Android 7.1.1 and on a Lenovo Moto G7 Power running Android 9.  

On the Network screen, under Performance it is reporting a download speed of 11.7 and upload of 0.9.  When I click on the >, it brings up the Internet Performance screen that shows the Last speed test was 2 hours ago from Dublin, IE.  When I scroll to the bottom of the page, the graph of Average performance of last week shows New Toek_NY, US (+2), with a Download of 8.3 and Upload of 0.8. If I swips this, the last report is from Wednesday at 00:07 to Dublin with a Download of 0.7 and Upload of 04.

If I carry out a 'Test speed now', it reports a latency of 35, Download of 11.4 and Upload of 1.0, with the location Dublin, IE.

Returning to the main screen, the Internet Performance line has been updated with the latest (manual) figures.  When I look at Recent events, it reports Measurement failed for the time of the manual Performance test, as do the scheduled tests.  If I look under Internet Performance/History is also reports Measurement failed for the most recent scheduled and manual tests.

Hope this helps!

Robert

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot @Pops7272
    This is very helpful. 
    I can now create a support ticket from this information for our developers to investigate further all the cases that are still coming in. 
    Thank you for your help. 

• Pops7272
    Violet
    Happy to do any testing!  At the moment I haven't tried rebooting the fingbox - last started about 8 days ago.
    May be a different issue, but when I go into Devices/Fingbox/History, the Timeline is empty, as it is for some other devices (eg my main router that the fingbox is connected to).. 
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2019 #7
    Thanks @Pops7272 for reporting.
    What firmware version are you running for Fingbox at the moment?
    https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/fingbox-release-notes/
    EDITED:
    That should be: 1.14.13

• Pops7272
    Not sure where to get this, but under Devices/FingboxNetwork details, the last line reads 'ver(1.14.13)'

VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh sorry that is correct. Sorry mine should have read 1.14.13 as yours.
    I've asked because that because that firmware release had the speed test fix on it. 

• PeterP
    PeterP Member, Beta Tester Posts: 62
    Second Anniversary 25 Agrees 25 Likes 10 Comments
    ✭✭✭
    Any idea when this will get fixed. Ever since November 7th, my speed tests have shown only half the speed I actually get and I have also had some failed tests since then as well. This was rock solid for many months and now its broken.  My Fingbox firmware is at 1.14.13 and its not fixed.
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @PeterP thanks a lot. We've been beta testing a fix and if all goes well we'll release into production ASAP. I'll keep these threads posted when that may happen as well. 

• Pops7272
    All Internet Performance report since Saturday 16th November at 04:08 GMT have been recorded successfully in the history log, but the reports are showing considerably slower download speed to that reported by my router (eg router is reporting 11Mbps, but Fing is reporting a high of 5.1 Mbps).
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Pops7272
    Thanks for writing back! 
    The fix was deployed to those that have reported the issue in the beta test. So you should have had a firmware update.
    If all is well, then we'll deploy the fix to all.
    As for the lower speeds this could be because of the move to single stream and also the MLAB measurement method...
    Let me ask @Robin

• Pops7272
    Thanks.  To confirm, the app is showing the fingbox is on ver(1.14.14)
    VioletChepil
  • PeterP
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the reduced speed measurement doesn't become the norm, otherwise this feature becomes rather useless. Please say this isn't so :-(

VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,  Fingbox firmware 1.14.14 just released which should fix the speed tests failing. And this should fix the issue. This was due to the recent MLAB changes and out of control of Fing but we've been trying to adapt and solve as quickly as we can. The firmware will update automatically within the next 24 hours. If you'd like to force the firmware update faster, you can manually power cycle the Fingbox and it should update within the next hour. Let me know if that solves it for you.

• PeterP
    ✭✭✭
    OK, not sure how to start another thread here so adding to this thread.  In today's screen shot of my performance test history, I did have a failure very early yesterday. It may be that my Fingbox didn't yet have the new firmware (these are Fingbox tests, not App tests).  As I stated in another thread, the tested speed is still way lower than my service. In the other screen shot from two weeks ago, you can see it dropped on November 7th and since then has never reported correctly. When using Ookla or Comcast speed tests I always get over 300 mbps.  As an FYI, I tried a speed test with Mlab from my browser and got the 160 mbps result similar to the Fingbox, so the problem is clearly Mlab. 

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello @PeterP
    Thanks for your question. 
    The slower speeds you'd be receiving reported would be due to MLABs changes to only single stream more recently. They haven't provided us any further information on this to date, but when they update us we'll update everyone too. 
    This article explains why MLAB speed tests may be different than other speed tests and also how single stream may impact your results. Hope this is clear. 
    https://www.measurementlab.net/blog/speed-tests-accuracy/ 
    Another cause of divergence between testing regimes is NDT’s single stream. When using a single stream, the measurement system reacts more strongly to spurious packet loss (“noise”). A typical case where a user may want to run a speed test is when they think that their Internet connection is not performing well. This perceived underperformance may be caused by poor Wi-Fi signal, congestion within their ISP’s network, or congestion between ISPs. A multi-stream speed test is less sensitive to spurious packet loss than a single-stream speed test.

Let me know if you have any more questions for me. 
    Cheers,
    Violet

• PeterP
    ✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2019 #19
    Hi Violet, I understand all the variables involved, I have been in the computer networking field for over 30 years.  I know speed test results are impacted by location of the test server and network congestion. However, for me, the value of a speed test is to confirm that the link from my home to my ISP's network is working properly. Up until two weeks ago, Mlab's tests results mirrored other speed test providers and was pretty accurate as to my actual link speed. Now it is not which makes their testing methodology less than useful.  If this becomes the new normal for them, Fing needs to reconsider using them as your testing service.
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @PeterP thanks for the feedback and great to have an expert like you on the Fing Community! It was a huge surprise for us to be downgraded to single stream but we have little control over the situation at present. We're still waiting for any news/update on their end. If I get any news I'll be sure to update you about it. I can understand your frustration and if there was anything I could personally do - I'd do it. 

• PeterP
    ✭✭✭
    Have you guys inquired with Mlab about their changes and their reasons for making them?  Are you looking at alternatives?  Many of your customers have stated that they would like to see an option to choose different speed test providers, maybe this is the time to start looking at that capability if its possible.
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes this could be an interesting strategy idea. Thanks for the feedback. We don't have any plans right now to change provider. As you may know some providers could see us as a competitor and I guess not want to partner with us too. If I have any news, I'll let you know too.