Web Login Parity With App

Ian_Almighty
Ian_Almighty Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
First Answer 5 Likes Founder Photogenic
✭✭
edited August 8, 2019 in Fingbox feature requests #1
I've noticed that the web login has a fraction of functionality of the smartphone app - could the website have better functionality? or maybe the Fingbox itself could have a webserver with the same feature set as the app?
JEspoVioletChepilJoeMarclredlefsen
2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2019 #2
    Thanks a lot @Ian_Almighty for the feature request. Actually, we're working on PC/MAC app versions as per this new roadmap we've just shared: 
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/78/future-roadmap#latest
    These would be local agents running on PC for example.
    The web app could never perform the scan functionalities since it needs local software so we don't envision web app/mobile app parity for example. PC/MAC versions are in our plans. 
    These new developments may have what you are looking for.
    In the meantime, I'll tag this as a feature request but I do think once we get these new web versions released they may meet your needs!

Community Manager at Fing

Ian_Almighty
  • Gidster
    Gidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    That's right @VioletChepil the web version is just accessing your account, rather than viewing the local network - but there are potential improvements to that which are also on our backlog, such as seeing a log and managing users for the Fingbox presence feature
    Head of Product at Fing
    Ian_AlmightyVioletChepil
  • lredlefsen
    lredlefsen Member Posts: 7
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    I use my FingBox at remote locations (e.g., a short-term rental), to keep an eye on the network remotely. Has there been any thought towards that usage scenario (i.e., the only access to the FingBox is normally via the web app and/or the Internet, not via the LAN, and, hence, not the app/PC/Mac agent)?
    Ian_Almighty
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    lredlefsen said:
    I use my FingBox at remote locations (e.g., a short-term rental), to keep an eye on the network remotely. Has there been any thought towards that usage scenario (i.e., the only access to the FingBox is normally via the web app and/or the Internet, not via the LAN, and, hence, not the app/PC/Mac agent)?
    Good topic to discuss. Could you post this one as a new question? Also could you elaborate more about the LAN access you mean? 

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just turning this one into an ideas thread so others can vote. Cast your vote if you'd like to see implemented too.

• lredlefsen
    lredlefsen said:
    Good topic to discuss. Could you post this one as a new question? Also could you elaborate more about the LAN access you mean? 
    Apologies for the late response. I'm not sure this is a new question, so let me try to clarify.
    The usage scenario is this: I manage a short-term rental that provides free WiFi access to guests. I have deployed a FingBox at that house to keep an eye on the network. This FingBox is plugged into the router via an Ethernet cable.
    I do not have physical access to the house when it is rented out -- in fact, I'm not even in the same city. So if I want to keep an eye on the network, I can only do it over the Internet. I do not believe that the Fing *app* on my phone will remotely connect to my FingBox over the Internet, and through the router/firewall at the house -- am I mistaken? Therefore, the mobile device that the Fing app is running on must be on the same WiFi network as the FingBox. This is what I meant with "LAN access".
    In my case, since I believe I can only access the information on the FingBox by looking at the Fing web app (the data for which is populated by the FingBox pushing information into your cloud service), I would love it if you could enhance the web-based interface so that I can get full access to the state on the FingBox at the rental house.
    Does that clarify the use case? Do you think I should post this as a separate comment?
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Iredlefsen this is clearer now and also a great/interesting use case for Fingbox! This is definitely possible but I don't see on the immediate roadmap. Though I can also see the value in this use case. I guess maybe after PC/MAC versions there could be add-on features for Fingbox available in those as well. Though nothing is confirmed/planned yet this is possible. Improvements to the web app are also possible too! 
    So definitely a good suggestion to keep logged in here. 

Also we have the @Domotz (sister company) which have an extremely comprehensive like dashboard/portal for managing remote networks. 

• lredlefsen
    Thanks for the pointer to Domotz, @VioletChepil, that looks much more like what I was looking for, including the ability to remotely SSH into the network, and to tunnel proprietary apps (like the Apple Airport management app) via the Domotz agent. I've started my trial with a Domotz Agent on my FingBox.
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! Great to check @Domotz out and let us know if you have any questions. 

• Domotz
    Domotz Member Posts: 6
    First Answer Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    Thank you @Iredlefsen for trialling @Domotz!   Feel free to contact [email protected] if you have any question about its features.