Can anyone help me identify this device?

DebsolenDebsolen Member Posts: 5
edited November 11 in Devices & Security

I have 2 access points showing up one is my router i dont know the other one its says

Mac address 3A:9D:92:11:20:EA

Tagged:

Answers

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 2,232 admin
    Hi @Debsolen I've slightly modified the title of this post to try and get more responses on it.
    Here are some tips for identifying unknown devices: https://community.fing.com/discussion/322/tips-for-identifying-generic-devices
    It can usually be a process of eliminating too.
    Could you change your router username and password and that would help you identify it?

Community Manager at Fing

• vulcansheartvulcansheart Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November 13
    It's a non-registered vendor, so there's no telling what the device is. You can watch the traffic to/from the device and get an idea, but that will require some additional resources. How deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go to find out?

41 4c 4c 20 59 4f 55 52 20 42 41 53 45 20 41 52 45 20 42 45 4c 4f 4e 47 20 54 4f 20 55 53
    VioletChepilHronos
    @Debsolen maybe you could tell us more about the device's behavior? When it connected and if it is permanently on the network?
    If you believe the device is not yours, you could also change your router password etc.

@vulcansheart how would you watch the traffic to and from the device? I'm curious about this. 

• vulcansheartvulcansheart Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    @Debsolen maybe you could tell us more about the device's behavior? When it connected and if it is permanently on the network?
    If you believe the device is not yours, you could also change your router password etc.

@vulcansheart how would you watch the traffic to and from the device? I'm curious about this. 
    Two methods: either port mirroring from a switch on the network and directing the traffic to a packet sniffing machine (easy), or deploying a device in the network wire (between switch and router) that acts as a man in the middle (difficult).
    41 4c 4c 20 59 4f 55 52 20 42 41 53 45 20 41 52 45 20 42 45 4c 4f 4e 47 20 54 4f 20 55 53
    HronosVioletChepil
  • devdev Member Posts: 1
    Hello @Debsolen
    This device is using a locally-assigned MAC address, to get the real MAC address, remove bit 2 from the first byte, translating the MAC address into 38:9D:92:11:20:EA. This looks like an Epson printer.

-Dev
    VioletChepilvulcansheartHronos
    Thanks a lot @dev
    @vulcansheart very good to know and thank you for this information. If you want to start up any thread on this topic since you seem to have great knowledge on it, feel free to do so! I'm going to send you a DM. 

vulcansheartHronos
  • HronosHronos Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    @dev That was so cleaver! Good to have that kind of information (an the source of it of course B) ) in the community
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepil