Ad Blocker

Ian_Almighty
Ian_Almighty Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
First Answer 5 Likes Founder Photogenic
✭✭
Is there a way the Fing box could extended to block ads? Perhaps network clients could use Fing box as a gateway and the Fing/gateway is blocking known advertising IP addresses. Also this could be a paid for add on?
Ian_AlmightyandygodberJohnbenhelpsbeanbaguk
5 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Lee_Bo
    Lee_Bo Member Posts: 271
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a way the Fing box could extended to block ads? Perhaps network clients could use Fing box as a gateway and the Fing/gateway is blocking known advertising IP addresses. Also this could be a paid for add on?
    For that to happen, it would take a lot of programming, not only to block ads but to have the Fingbox set up to be used as a gateway.  Too many other devices already on the market that does that.

I'm personally using an ad blocker both on my iPhone and Macbook Pro so that's not an issue.
  • John
    John Member Posts: 110
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at home assistant, which can be run on a raspberry pi and can be configured with a plugin to act as a DNS server to block ads.  Works pretty well.  If Fingbox integrated into the pi... well that opens up a bunch of options!  >:)
  • Gidster
    Gidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering how many folk out there are using PiHole to block ads and how it compares to other solutions?
    Head of Product at Fing
  • andygodber
    andygodber Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments Photogenic 5 Likes
    Gidster said:
    I'm wondering how many folk out there are using PiHole to block ads and how it compares to other solutions?
    Pihole user here.
    Works very well - I have two instances to provide resilience and alternate DNS.
    I started off with a Pi (Orange or Zero or clone) and now have a Docker on my Synology NAS and running natively on my Ubiquiti CloudKey.
    TheCustomCaveVioletChepil
  • TheCustomCave
    TheCustomCave Member, Beta Tester Posts: 48
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Gidster said:
    I'm using PiHole on my home network and also my network at work. It's a very robust solution and certainly much nicer than having to have individual ad-blocking on each device.
    GidsterVioletChepilHronos
  • Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All this has got this ole bear looking at what functionality my Synology has for such a purpose. Oooh, a new home project!
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepilHronos
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just turning this one into an ideas thread so others can vote. Cast your vote if you'd like to see implemented too.

Community Manager at Fing

• andygodber
    andygodber Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments Photogenic 5 Likes

Id vote for pihole/similar blocking on Fing - would allow me to remove one or more devices/docker images etc.

And/or Fing onto Synology

• John
    John Member Posts: 110
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    agreed pihole would be great!
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @John @andygodber - can upvote the link at the top?

You can see this new feature in action here if that helps: 
    https://community.fing.com/categories/fingbox-feature-requests 

• wayner
    wayner Member, Beta Tester Posts: 32
    10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I use PiHole as well as a docker running on my unRAID server.  Here is kind of a reverse idea - could the functionality of a fingbox be available as a docker running on a server?  Is there any reason why a fingbox has to be a hardware device?  Presumably it is just a micro PC running some form of Linux like Busybody.
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @wayner we've definitely thought about that.
    We have (LEGACY) docker packages for the Fing App here: https://www.fing.com/products/development-toolkit 
    First we're going to start with PC/MAC versions (planned for the next months ahead): https://community.fing.com/discussion/89/the-fing-roadmap/p1 
    I'd say, likely what we'll do is gauge uptake when we release PC/MAC - and then we may try expanding to other platforms.
    Of course you make additional feature requests too here: https://community.fing.com/categories/fingbox-feature-requests