Wyze Cams. Smart Home Jackpot or Smart Home Concern?

parkertylerparkertyler Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited August 7 in Devices & Security

What is everyone's thoughts on Wyze Cams? (v2 or Pan) Do you use them? If so, what do you think of them? Do you use other Wyze products? What do you think of some of the privacy concerns brought up against them? I would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

(Learn more about wyze and their products here: https://www.wyze.com/

VioletChepil

Comments

• GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    In the UK, these super-cheap Xiaomi camera are operated by Neos. https://community.fing.com/discussion/60/anyone-have-experience-with-super-cheap-neos-smart-cams
    Head of Product at Fing
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 2,016 admin
    I've promoted this one, lets see what others can add! 

Community Manager at Fing

• GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited August 8
    Also, you can use the Fingbox's Presence feature to arm Wyze cameras (and maybe Neos?) via IFTTT - so when everyone leaves home you arm the camera and disarm it when someone comes back - to avoid creeping out your family and friends 
    Head of Product at Fing
    Hronosparkertyler
  • kltaylorkltaylor Member Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own a Wyze camera, and honestly, I plan on buying more.
    I purchased one of their $20 cams and placed it in the window looking at my front door.  It's a great product, has a decent mobile app, my only complaint is the lack of a true desktop app that's not third-party.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepil
  • PoohPooh Member Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite me being a bit of a tech nerd (my first computer was from the late 1970's - the Acorn Atom) my house is almost IoT free. Camera's especially spook the heebies out of me. We've already had multiple instances where staff and contractors at various tech companies have been listening in on Echo\Home\Siri messages etc. The idea that there's an always on camera peering into my house or even around does bother me since I'm paranoid as to who else may have access to the stream...

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepil
  • HronosHronos Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    kltaylor said:
    I own a Wyze camera, and honestly, I plan on buying more.
    I purchased one of their $20 cams and placed it in the window looking at my front door.  It's a great product, has a decent mobile app, my only complaint is the lack of a true desktop app that's not third-party.
    I just browse their site and now I want to buy them all :D hahaha
    Their products looks very interesting and they are a very good deal... They just ship within the USA but it doesn't mean that they will not work in any other place... I should get one or two of them to try them out and see (they are so very affordable).
    I don't own an Echo or G. Home device (just a couple of chromecast ;) ) but the camera thing is something I was postponing for a while because of complexity and pricing and this product resolve (at least a bit) both.

Keep looking up!
  • AricAric Member Posts: 15 ✭✭

I’ve been using WyzeCams for a while now. For the price they are especially good products. I’ve also used a number of their newer products.

For those that are concerned about the cameras uploading video to “the cloud” you can turn that off.

More expensive products might have a few more features, but you’re at the mercy of the developer. If they end product service, you are out hundreds of dollars. That happened to me with two camera product lines already. At least with WyzeCam, most people would be out less than $100 if they do go belly up.

One thing I do like is that the company is quite open and honest on their forums and they do take feedback seriously.

If you don’t want a camera in your house, I understand, but they will be releasing an outdoor cam very shortly.

• AmrAmr Member Posts: 6

Wyze v2 is a wonderful piece of hardware that I use indoors to secure a lot of hidden spots in my home. I use a special firmware to use it with my Control4 home automation system. So I don’t use their cloud based servers at all!

• msbhvn1msbhvn1 Member Posts: 1
    I own several different brands of cameras with the Wyze v2 and Pan being my two newest additions.  The app is fairly easy to use and has more features than some of the competing brands and like the others have mentioned, you can turn off the cloud recording.  I hadn't thought about using IFTTT for turning them on and off depending on occupancy but that seems like my next project.  As far as using a desktop app and 3rd party, I have BlueIris running 24/7 and have integrated the WyzeCams into the mix with the rest of them.  It is necessary to update the firmware to a different version that supports RTSP but it is fairly easy to do.  So far no complaints, it's the Zmodo cameras that keep me intrigued with almost constant data activity and a support department that mocks and laughs at you when you try to get support! I'm about ready to kick that one to the curb. 
    Gidster