VPN server (for remote access to home network)

benhelps
benhelps Member, Beta Tester Posts: 29
10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
✭✭
I currently run a "server" at home (old laptop in GUI-less mode) and almost it's sole remaining purpose to to answer as an OpenVPN server. Would be great if Fingbox could do this.
Tagged:
benhelpsRHHaVoidDarrenHillRob_GGem
6 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• DarrenHill
    DarrenHill Member, Beta Tester Posts: 24
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    A secondary option for WireGuard too might be a useful addition to this.

OpenVPN is the current default, but WG a newer, simpler and potentially very interesting candidate. I've got both servers running on a Pi on my network, and can agree that having them on the FingBox would be great. It would also allow the box to potentially monitor and oversee devices connected to the local network via the VPN, which it doesn't currently seem to be able to do as they aren't visible to it.
  • aVoid
    aVoid Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic

Wireguard would be perfect!

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,131
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thank you for the suggestion. For all other users who feel this would be beneficial, please click the 'Upvote' button. Thank you
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • benhelps
    benhelps Member, Beta Tester Posts: 29
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Just occurred I should have asked this on this ticket, not one marked Answered.

Just revisiting this to see whether in all the intervening time there has been any progress in putting a VPN server service on the fingbox?
    Or can anyone answer clearly, whether running a domotz agent on the fingbox allows one to VPN TO the fingbox from outside the network?