Android Auto Update

kltaylorkltaylor Member Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭
(Source)

Android Auto v4.8 is ready to add app drawer customization and persistent weather

The latest update to Android Auto is making the rounds and it's potentially a pretty major update, even if it's not immediately obvious. There aren't going to be any major visible changes upon installing the update, but one of the most requested features, a customizable app drawer, appears to be ready for launch. Also on the lineup is a persistent temperature display, which may also be rolling out soon.

Does anyone else use this app while driving?  What did you like or not like about it?
"There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
-Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
VioletChepilRobinCiaranM3ntal_mESS

Comments

• MarcMarc Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an Apple CarPlay user, Apple did an impressive visual update on their last release on ios13, but I am definitely interested on how the google experience stacks up.  (My car supports both, so may the best system win!). looking forward to reading any responses.  @kltaylor , what's your impression of it?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepilHronos
  • kltaylorkltaylor Member Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am an Android user, and I do use this app in my vehicle when I am traveling/commuting.

What I like about it:
    • Removes distractions while you operate your vehicle
    • Uses Google Assistant to read incoming messages, uses voice commands to transcribe and send
    • Supports several apps for your listening pleasure, music, podcasts, etc.
    • Has an impressive selection of supported map apps, although I am a Waze person mostly

What I'd like to see improved:
    • Support more audio apps (which is what the new update is doing)
    • Better audio support for Waze to support hands-free social targetting (ex. "OK Waze, add traffic notice list as heavy)

I have it set up so that the road announcement interrupts the audio (in this case, my podcasts) so that I hear the notification and don't need to take my eyes off of the road.

It's useful, but needs more features and supports more apps.
    VioletChepilHronosM3ntal_mESS
  • MarcMarc Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kltaylor said:
    I am an Android user, and I do use this app in my vehicle when I am traveling/commuting.

What I like about it:
    • Removes distractions while you operate your vehicle
    • Uses Google Assistant to read incoming messages, uses voice commands to transcribe and send
    • Supports several apps for your listening pleasure, music, podcasts, etc.
    • Has an impressive selection of supported map apps, although I am a Waze person mostly

What I'd like to see improved:
    • Support more audio apps (which is what the new update is doing)
    • Better audio support for Waze to support hands-free social targetting (ex. "OK Waze, add traffic notice list as heavy)

I have it set up so that the road announcement interrupts the audio (in this case, my podcasts) so that I hear the notification and don't need to take my eyes off of the road.

It's useful, but needs more features and supports more apps.
    Thats interesting.  Both apple and android seem to work the same way.  Both support messaging, assistants, assorted map products etc. CarPlay just changed the default screen to a multi view landing page, showing time, maps, whatever music you are playing along with messages.  Previously the display was a single pane, showing just whatever was the focus app.  The change made a big difference.  I use Apple Maps and for the local driving that I do, its been fine but everyone tells me to use Waze so now I am tempted to give it shot.  
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepilkltaylor
  • HronosHronos Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    I am an Android user, and I used to use Android Auto.  But, because my car doesn't support it (no info-tainment system on it) I stop using it, it was as distracting as not using it.
    I will try it again to see if the "non-enable" Car experience is any different.
    Keep looking up!
    kltaylorVioletChepil
  • kltaylorkltaylor Member Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The year that my vehicle was manufactured was in 2005, however I do have a Bluetooth adapted in the lighter slot.  I mean what else could that be used for other than to power IoT devices. =)
    VioletChepil