Wi Fi Map

Uncle_ArthurUncle_Arthur Member Posts: 6
5 Likes First Answer Name Dropper Founder
✭✭
edited August 2019 in Fingbox feature requests
I have a wifi router and 3 other access points (Powerline). I love the way Fing lets you test the network speed at a particular position on a particular device, but wouldn’t it be useful to be able to build up a wifi map of the house using this information, and see it graphically so you find any cold spots. I wonder, would that be possible?
kltaylorPaulPMattmantebashamBenUncle_ArthuradamPlantuchaheadpJonMartinDG12eugendstrohlMarlandTspixn658Doc_AKwray69834Lucasmp
14 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    @Uncle_Arthur are you referring to the Wifi Performance feature for Fingbox?. If so, I imagine you'd like to be able to do something like upload a floorplan and record speeds at various points on it? Is that right?
    Head of Product at Fing
    Ian_AlmightyPaulPGlenBo84VioletChepil
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, there aren't many applications out there that could actually plot the traffic direction and map the network.  If FING could do that, I think it would increase the number of people who would use it, and maybe a means to export the map to an image or PDF format, to email, save, etc.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    GlenBo84VioletChepilJohnmashevloff
  • Ian_AlmightyIan_Almighty Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
    First Answer 5 Likes Founder Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Actually this gets my vote as well.
    VioletChepil
  • GlenBo84GlenBo84 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 31
    10 Comments First Anniversary First Answer Founder
    ✭✭✭
    I agree , this would be a great addition. I would see this being help foe the up take in people say going down the MESH route for placement of the nodes as well..

VioletChepil
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really not sure how this would work. When doing a WiFi heat map you need to traverse the entire area. The Fingbox is a device that sits on the network that controls network connectivity. I'd have thought you'd be far better off using a laptop or other portable device for this purpose.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepil
  • KeekehKeekeh Member Posts: 8
    Founder Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Hi,
    to plot the position of a device you need, at least, three readings from different places of the power radiated by the device you intend to position. 
    New Wi-Fi technologies with diversity facilities can estimate the distance from one client to the access point that attends the connection but I guess that these AP's can't position the spatial emplacement of the client device. 
    As Pooh said it's better to explore the area with a mobile or tablet and the appropriate app.
    C_f_S
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just turning this one into an ideas thread so others can vote. Cast your vote if you'd like to see implemented too.

Community Manager at Fing

• BenBen Member Posts: 9
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    edited September 2019
    @VioletChepil while we wait for this potential feature, is there at least a way to label Wi-Fi tests at various locations?  Right now I can run tests in various parts of the building but I can't label them so it's hard to remember which poor result in the history was related to which location.
  • GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Ben said:
    @VioletChepil while we wait for this potential feature, is there at least a way to label Wi-Fi tests at various locations?  Right now I can run tests in various parts of the building but I can't label them so it's hard to remember which poor result in the history was related to which location.
    I think being able to add a label for a speed test (Wifi for Fingbox and Internet for all app users) is a good feature idea suggestion. @Ben would you be interested in adding it as a new idea
    Head of Product at Fing
  • Uncle_ArthurUncle_Arthur Member Posts: 6
    5 Likes First Answer Name Dropper Founder
    ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Gidster said:
    @Uncle_Arthur are you referring to the Wifi Performance feature for Fingbox?. If so, I imagine you'd like to be able to do something like upload a floorplan and record speeds at various points on it? Is that right?
    Yes, I’m thinking that if you could take a mobile device around different rooms and map its signal strength as it connects to Fingbox, a map could be generated showing the signal strength (and from which access point maybe) so you would be able to see where the signal is low. You could then try moving an access point or installing another one, then re-test to make improvements.