Vodafone download speed

Joe
Joe Member, Beta Tester Posts: 54
25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary First Answer
✭✭✭
Vodafone offers a % money back if their speed drops below 25mb/s on my 35mb/s deal. I rarely get more than 25mb/s on my M-Lab speed tests. However, I believe Vodafone are talking about the sync speed (which is set at 40mb/s not the actual traffic flow. Is this correct or can I complain?
Tagged:
VioletChepilpianosa

Best Answer

• John
    John Member Posts: 110
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    #2 Accepted Answer

You can’t complain as the speed you get on your own testing is subject to a whole bunch of variables not least your network and hardware. The sync speed is what counts and I have found it pretty accurate to what you actually get.

pianosa

Answers

• Ajax
    Ajax Member Posts: 35
    ✭✭✭
    I've always felt promises like this were empty offers & promises and I've taken very little notice of them. They'll always caveat the promise with so many provisos and exceptions that its worth very little. 
    pianosa
  • Joe
    ✭✭✭
    @John thanks for this. It is as I suspected. Other speed tests do indicate over 25mb/s but M-Labs doesn’t.
    Maybe M-Labs as a partner for fing is the issue?
  • John
    John Member Posts: 110
    ✭✭✭

@Joe for context I am on voda and I sync at 53.7Mb/s and my last speed test showed 48.6Mb/s on fingbox. I think there will always be an overhead but as you see mine is 5Mb/s I would expect yours to be similar. Are you sure there is nothing else using traffic like a kids ipad :)

pianosa
  • Wildside
    Wildside Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    First Anniversary Founder Name Dropper First Comment
    ✭✭
    @Joe Because you can not proof no other device in your network is downloading anything your provider will not accept complains about available speed for your device testing it. Which device are you testing from? A wired PC?
  • Joe
    ✭✭✭
    Wired Mac or iPad from the main WiFi give good results to other speed tests but M-Labs is always really slow. And that’s the only test I have consistent records for.
  • Gidster
    Gidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Different speed tests do operate differently. As I understand it, Ookla's Speetest.net tests the connection between the testing device (wired to the router best) and a server hosted within the ISP's own infrastructure, whereas M-Lab - which Google also use for their speed test - is a more realistic measure of real world performance, by testing a connection with a remote server. So typically, in terms of results it will go Sync Speed > Ookla > M-Lab 
    https://www.measurementlab.net/faq/#why-are-my-m-lab-results-different-from-other-speed-tests
    Head of Product at Fing
    UsagiNZpianosa
  • Gidster
    Gidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Vodafone are quite explicit that its Sync Speed that counts: "So what is the Vodafone Broadband Ultimate Speed Guarantee? Simply put, it’s our promise that if you don’t experience the minimum broadband ‘sync speed’ you should be getting with Vodafone Home Broadband, you can easily claim a 15% discount."
    https://blog.vodafone.co.uk/2018/02/28/broadband-ultimate-speed-guarantee/
    That's a bit naughty as this tends to remain fairly consistent, even when the actual speeds your experiencing can dip significantly 

Head of Product at Fing
    pianosa
  • andygodber
    andygodber Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments Photogenic 5 Likes
    Joe said:
    Wired Mac or iPad from the main WiFi give good results to other speed tests but M-Labs is always really slow. And that’s the only test I have consistent records for.
    The wired test is really the only way to go due to the problems already mentioned above.
    What do Speedtest.net and Google's test show?
    I have Vodafone as one of my ISPs - they honoured the discount when their anticipated Sync speed of 56Mb only achieved 44Mb.
    pianosa
  • Joe
    ✭✭✭
    That’s the problem. I have consistently good sync rates of 40mbps but the Vodafone backhaul through to M-Labs is terrible. Especially when it keeps thinking that Dublin is closer to me than London. My sync rate would have to sink to below 25mbps for them to do anything about it.