Ubiquiti Hardware: Where can I learn about VLANs, sub-netting and firewall scripting?

sjdmdsjdmd Member Posts: 1
I'm living in a large, old stone house and my plain vanilla network is reaching capacity with more than 240 devices. I have FIOS and the Verizon "Quantum Gateway" hooked up to a 48 port Ubiquiti POE switch and six access points around the property. I need some basic education and training about the various network functions and tools I should be using to separate out IOT, network devices and the various computers, set-top boxes, cameras, etc. 
Is there an online source that someone can recommend? Yes, I can (and have) searched online, but the profusion of (purported) training resources makes it hard for a novice to choose a credible site. 
Thank you for any advice.
Regards to the community./Steve
VioletChepilCiaranRobinrsnyderpsu

Best Answer

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Member Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, @sjdmd welcome to our community.
    The best way to look for information is by issuing a web search, including video's, etc.  The manufacturer may have some information online that you can peruse, may even offer end-user training.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepilHronossjdmd
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 2,232 admin
    Thanks for the great question @sjdmd
    Any of our elected networking experts have anything to add too? 
    @Crowgrandfather @SimoneSpinozzi @Marc @Pooh @Romulus @TheCustomCave @Hronos @Idroy

Community Manager at Fing

sjdmd
  • SimoneSpinozziSimoneSpinozzi Member Posts: 71 ✭✭✭
    edited November 6
    sorry... never used ubiquiti myself so i never needed to search for it. 😅👍

good luck. 🍀

I know UniFi has courses on it: https://www.udemy.com/courses/search/?src=ukw&q=ubiquiti
    VioletChepilHronos
  • TheCustomCaveTheCustomCave Member Posts: 47 ✭✭✭
    I'm completely unfamiliar with those brands unfortunately, we don't tend to use them over this side of the pond. I can't imagine them using anything other than standard TCP/IP networking though so that's a good place to start for research.
    VioletChepilkltaylor
  • CrowgrandfatherCrowgrandfather Member Posts: 34 ✭✭✭

I've only lightly used Ubiquiti. In general I've found Reddit to be a great source of information for vendor specific networking. I can explain vlans and subnetting in general but not how to set it up on Ubiquiti.

I also found this guy on YouTube who seems to know how to do it.

Hope that helps

VioletChepilkltaylorpetit_piton1prestc01Alderetersnyderpsu
    Thanks @Crowgrandfather

rsnyderpsu
  • kltaylorkltaylor Member Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good find, @Crowgrandfather, thanks for sharing it!
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepilrsnyderpsu
    @sjdmd I'll flag this post to include in our next community mailer to try and help finding some more Ubiquity users for you! 

• mozarellamozarella Member Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
    I also do use ubiquity hardware in my home. I also use VLAN to implement LAN and Guest-LAN / Guest-WLAN. Actually it's not that difficult to set up VLAN with Unify components. but it's a question of design which kind of network people wanna use. Some people split their network infrastructure into different VLAN, each "system" could get a own seperated VLAN. Others (like me) use just a big network with all components within a "flat" infrastructure and only VLAN for Guest or similar things.
    I don't have some sources with information, how VLAN or network-basics are working. I read a lot in internet about VLAN and network-basics like routing, dns, dhcp and so on.
    Unify has also community, maybe there's some special informations? Or just have a look at youtube with unify or ubiquity systems.
    VioletChepilrsnyderpsu
  • Jon_IrishJon_Irish Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    I have been using Ubiquity UniFi gear for several years now. Another really good source of Ubiquity information is Willie Howe: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD-QkofF-bFBAcI83U8ZZeg
    sjdmdpetit_piton1VioletChepilcjohlandtrsnyderpsu
  • EliteharbingerEliteharbinger Member Posts: 1

The Unifi community cam be helpful and there are some good tutorials on the Unifi site.

Although I use their equipment I don't have a requirement for any VLANs yet, but will def bookmark the YouTube info presented here.

VioletChepilrsnyderpsu
  • Jon_IrishJon_Irish Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    The main reason I use vlans is for IoT (i.e. Smart devices). Most of these devices are made with no security considerations and thus I don't want them having access to my computers. Therefore, I created an IoT vlan and some firewall rules so that devices on the IoT vlan can get to the Internet but not the "normal" user vlan, and vice-versa. You just have to remember that if you need to work on an IoT device, you have to "more" your computer to the IoT vlan and back again when you are done.
    sjdmdrsnyderpsu
  • petit_piton1petit_piton1 Member Posts: 10
    Jon_Irish said:
    The main reason I use vlans is for IoT (i.e. Smart devices). Most of these devices are made with no security considerations and thus I don't want them having access to my computers. Therefore, I created an IoT vlan and some firewall rules so that devices on the IoT vlan can get to the Internet but not the "normal" user vlan, and vice-versa. You just have to remember that if you need to work on an IoT device, you have to "more" your computer to the IoT vlan and back again when you are done.
    I have firewall set up to block unsolicited traffic from the IoT network to my home network, but let my home network send traffic to the IoT network. I don't have to keep switching my computer(s) in and out of the IoT network to access the devices and things like remote volume control for Amazon Echo and Spøtify Connect streaming work as expected.
    Jon_IrishsjdmdVioletChepilrsnyderpsu
  • petit_piton1petit_piton1 Member Posts: 10
    I would also recommend the 3 videos from 'The Hook Up' on Unifi setup, but the 3 one covers VLANs explicitly

sjdmdTetragramVioletChepilAlderetersnyderpsu
  • StefanSKStefanSK Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    sjdmd said:
    I'm living in a large, old stone house and my plain vanilla network is reaching capacity with more than 240 devices. I have FIOS and the Verizon "Quantum Gateway" hooked up to a 48 port Ubiquiti POE switch and six access points around the property. I need some basic education and training about the various network functions and tools I should be using to separate out IOT, network devices and the various computers, set-top boxes, cameras, etc. 
    Is there an online source that someone can recommend? Yes, I can (and have) searched online, but the profusion of (purported) training resources makes it hard for a novice to choose a credible site. 
    Thank you for any advice.
    Regards to the community./Steve
    If you understand german language, I recommend https://idomix.de/category/videos/internet-netzwerk
    Helped me a lot when I started with UniFi some years ago.
    sjdmdVioletChepil
  • RainCasterRainCaster Member Posts: 3
    sorry... never used ubiquiti myself so i never needed to search for it. 😅👍

good luck. 🍀

I know UniFi has courses on it: XXXXXXXX
    The link you gave is not from Ubiquity, but is a commercial site that will cost anyone money, plus they may not be as knowledgable as some of the other links shown here. 
    VioletChepil
  • rsnyderpsursnyderpsu Member Posts: 1

Steve,

I have been very impressed with ubiquity network’s documentation online. I have one of their Edge Pro routers. It makes setting up VLANS pretty easy, but in addition to the web GUI and iOS apps, the router also has command line tools to go that way if you want to customize or just like configuration files and the prompt, better.

Like you, I am interested in better understanding best practice(s) around using network configuration to address the security challenges/opportunities presented by the rapid growth of IoT devises on my home network.

Historically, my focus has been on IPv4 at home leveraging class 2 “non routable” subnets. IPv4 is what I have worked with the most both personally and professionally. The protocol is not too difficult to grasp and security approaches make intuitive sense. I get NAT. I get DHCP and leveraging gateways to constrict unwanted traffic, QoS and vlans to prioritize and segregate traffic. I have been trained in IPv6, but I rarely work with it beyond translating 6to4 through HA Proxy-based load balancing appliances and rolling my own hardware versions.

I’ve been an IT professional since 1995. In my current role I spend a lot of time researching technology in the enterprise. Much of that applies to home networks, but I have yet to find a reliable source of actionable network strategies and design approaches for the increasingly complex home network environment.

Ubiquiti makes excellent pro/consumer level gear with an emphasis on access to low-level services along with intuitive GUI tools. I am not familiar with Virizon Quantum Gateway, and how much access users have to managing the configuration, but if it’s restricted, I would suggest putting an Ubiquiti Edge Router (EdgePro if you want fiber interconnects) between the Quantum Gateway and your 48 port Ubiqiti switch. Ubiquiti makes managing multiple Ubiquiti components on the home network very easy

Look forward to hearing how your network plays out.

\Robert

• cjohlandtcjohlandt Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Jon_Irish said:
    I have been using Ubiquity UniFi gear for several years now. Another really good source of Ubiquity information is Willie Howe: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD-QkofF-bFBAcI83U8ZZeg
    I agree.  Willie Howe's videos have been a good resource setting up my UniFi network.  Also take a look at the support section of the Ubiquiti web site.  "UniFi - Using VLANs with UniFi Wireless, Routing & Switching Hardware" is a good article.
    -Chris
    VioletChepil
    Great answers on this thread and thanks to all for the contributions.
    @sjdmd you can choose BEST ANSWERS by selecting:
    Did this answer the question? Yes/No. 
    Choose as many as you like too.