Would Fing consider adding Home Automation Functionality?

DCrypt3rDCrypt3r Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
First Comment Photogenic
edited November 2019 in Fingbox

Considering how great you are at knowing what’s going on on the network, it seems to me that a logical step for this company might be to start treading in the HA sector. This could be built in to the existing Fing box or a new device entirely.

Home Automation & IOT is currently mushrooming and I for one would certainly consider any HA product by Fing as a worthy competitor in the space.

I have used the Domoticz & OpenHAB apps on a Synology NAS and can see how a Fing Home Automation app installed on a Synology NAS (with addition of USB Radios (Z-Wave / Zigbee)) could also offer an alternative and distribution ready platform.

Interested in other’s thoughts on this subject and how the integration between HA and Fing’s network monitoring could spawn new functionality.

VioletChepil

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @DCrypt3r
    We do have some automation features through IFTTT: 
    https://ifttt.com/fing 
    And we also have some users requesting Home Assistant integration but we've not got any concrete plans for that yet.
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/418/home-assistant-and-fing-access-to-local-api 
    In terms of overlap with Domotz, they are our sister company and thus we'd not want to crossover on features on too much since Fingbox is catered towards Home users and Domotz is catered towards Pro/Business users. Thus they each have different pricing structure and features.

What would be the value of having these on Fingbox rather than just using Domotz for example?
    I'd be keen to learn more about your use case!
    Cheers,
    Violet

Community Manager at Fing

• DarrenHillDarrenHill Member, Beta Tester Posts: 20
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    @VioletChepil
    is there a reason why the IFTTT aspect of the FingBox isn't promoted and pushed more here? I've only quite recently discovered it and am loving it as it makes the box much more useful and active.

Even something like an IFTTT sub-area in the FingBox section could both promote it and allow members to request or suggest new IFTTT alerts/actions/services to make the box even more powerful and useful?
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @DarrenHill
    I guess there isn't any specific reason. Sometimes I find that sub-categories make things more hidden. If we had a good influx of IFTTT questions I'd open a sub-area for it. 
    I'd need to get like 2-3 questions per day to make it a thriving area. For now, I think the posts would get more visibility in the standard Fingbox queue and using the IFTTT tag in the post?
    What do you think?
    That said, community is just getting started and this is definitely to keep in mind for the future as we grow.
    We're still trying to get enough visibility for the Fing Community and get people over here for their central hub. 

• DarrenHillDarrenHill Member, Beta Tester Posts: 20
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭

To some degree I can see the point there, but if no-one knows that the capability is there then the questions won't come.

So it's a bit of a "chicken and egg" situation perhaps?

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes could be. I'm happy to test this out too.
    If we feel that people are not aware then I think that we need to promote better definitely. 
    This is a problem. 

• waynerwayner Member, Beta Tester Posts: 22
    10 Comments Photogenic 5 Likes
    What we really need is an open API for fing.  I have a Control4 automation system and I am just installing a driver for Ubiquiti Unifi that lets me trigger actions in my HA system from network events, like devices joining the LAN, etc.  I would prefer to do this from my fingbox as it does a better job monitoring my LAN than my Unifi USG and Unifi Controller software.  
    Please add an open API!
    Bumptronic