How can I rename my WiFi router and change the factory password

Tricky_vixenTricky_vixen Member Posts: 2
edited November 5 in Devices & Security

I'd like more details on how to change my WiFi router and factory password. How can I do this?

VioletChepil

Best Answers

• MarcMarc Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Tricky_vixen, each router manufacturer does it a little different so it might help if we knew the make and  model of it. Some routers let you change it via a web page link you can get to from a phone, tablet or computer.  Others can do it via an app you can install on your phone. Depends again on the manufacturer and model of the router. 
    In either case however, it’s probably best not to post a picture of your router current name or password.  You never know whose reading these posts...
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepilkltaylor
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKPosts: 2,232 admin
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Tricky_vixen ;
    I've just modified your post to remove that information and elaborate the question as I want you to remain secure.
    In terms of editing this information (as @Marc has said this can differ based on provider) but usually you will access a specific web page while inside your network where you can edit this information. 
    If you let us know the router we could maybe help further with instructions?
    Thank you 

Community Manager at Fing

kltaylor
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKPosts: 2,232 admin
    Accepted Answer
    Ok @Tricky_vixen I've checked out these steps here.
    Could you try this one from inside your own network?
    1. First go to a web browser
    2. Then, in the address bar type, 192.168.100.1
    3. Press enter, this will bring you to the Arris modem webpage
    4. Below where it says Arris, status is in a yellow box. To the right of it you will see a wireless tab, click on it.
    5. This will ask you for a username and password:

Username: admin
    Password: password

1. Then click apply
    2. Scroll down to security settings until you find the preshared key, now change this to any desired password you choose.
    3. Please remember to write down what password you have changed this to and keep it in a safe spot.
    4. Then reboot your modem by shutting down your computer completely(not on sleep or standby), unplug the cable modem from the electrical outlet.  Leave it unplugged for about 2 minutes then plug it back in and let it boot up completely with the 4 lights solid, then turn on your computer.
    More here: https://trf.mncable.net/how-to-change-the-password-on-an-arris-wireless-modem/

Answers

• Tricky_vixenTricky_vixen Member Posts: 2

Its an Arris router through att

VioletChepil
  • kltaylorkltaylor Member Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, you're not going to be able to change that easily, you'll need assistance from AT&T on that.  They're likely won't provide that information to you.  I could be wrong though, worth an ask.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • MarcMarc Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with @kltaylor observation.  Most ISP provided routers and modems do not allow the end user to change default passwords etc as they control the base configurations and do not want end users modifying that.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    kltaylor
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 2,232 admin
    Ok all I shared some steps above @Tricky_vixen
    Could you let us know if those steps worked out for you?

kltaylor