Unknown device trying to join the network

SpeedfSpeedf Member Posts: 31
10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭
So I've got a device that occasionally joins my network.  FingBox identifies it as a RE222221, made by LG  Electronics with a MAC address of 00:05:2A:22:22:22.  I suspect (through a quick google search) that it's related to my BT WholeHome wifi Mesh system.  Doesn't seem to be causing any problems but just wondered if anyone knew what this was; perhaps the WholeHome's backhaul?
VioletChepil

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I've seen in the past - I believe that it can be a VM from a device that's connecting to the network. Let's check with some other members! @Ajax @Lee_Bo @adam @RichCreedy @FingLover @Jack anything to add on this post? I'm also promoting this so we can try and get some more responses! 

Community Manager at Fing

• adamadam Member, Beta Tester Posts: 62
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Agrees Founder
    ✭✭✭
    Does it get an ip address assigned  @Speedf ?   I assume it does as my understanding is that fingbox needs that although correct me if I am wrong anyone.
  • SpeedfSpeedf Member Posts: 31
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely not a VM.  I haven't seen it get an IP (shows as 0.0.0.0).  I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the BT WholeHome (DHCP vendor even shows as "BT Whole Home DHCP Detect".   It does join the network every now and again.   Just wondering what this thing is.
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments 100 Likes 25 Agrees First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    It could be part of your mesh system.  When I first installed my Ubiquity network, the mesh antennas did that very same thing.
    VioletChepil
  • RichCreedyRichCreedy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 35
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    a quick google picks this up as something to do with the BT Wholehome Devices, but no one seems to know for sure
    VioletChepil
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 9
    5 Likes Name Dropper First Answer Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Ha, I thought it was a neighbour's telly trying to connect so blocked it! I have exactly the same device with the same Mac Address, and I also have BT Whole Home disks. Might re-enable it now to see if it makes any difference to anything? 

GidsterVioletChepil
  • KenDKenD Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments 5 Agrees 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    That is an odd one. The only time I ever saw devices assigned a 0.0.0.0 IP address was when I had D-Link wifi extenders installed. I have since removed them and went back to Orbi's. Haven't seen that IP assigned since.
    VioletChepilHronos
  • JoeJoe Member, Beta Tester Posts: 53
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Answer Founder
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, there is an issue with VMs when they restart. Two random MAC addresses (no manufacturer) appear on the network with a 0.0.0.0 IP address. There could be a possibility that any pc restarting on the network could do the same.
    I have a particularly unreliable Owl device on my network that is supposed to monitor my solar PV. That has a 0.0.0.0 IP address most of the time.
    PoohVioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Speedf just a quick tip - next time if you post this as a question (rather than a discussion) you'll be able to choose whether the answer has solved your problem. This will help Fing, because we'll know whether you found a good solution! 

RichCreedy
  • ItalicItalic Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Photogenic

Same strange incident here, but I don’t have bt Whole Home. I do have KPN Experia + Mesh, which could be from the same vendor. The exact same device ID showed and the same MAC.

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Italic
    I've done a search on this topic - and it seems that you and @Speedf are not alone in experiencing this mystery device. 
    https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Mystery-device-appears-when-Wholehome-reboots/td-p/1896338
    https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/New-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi-Firmware-released-18-03-19-version-1-02-08/td-p/1931211/page/3 
    Could this be there firmware updates engine?

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Speedf - @Italic - could we start up a new thread like:
    Anyone see the device RE222221, made by LG  Electronics with a MAC address of 00:05:2A:22:22:22 on their network?

Then we can see if others are also experiencing. Perhaps someone has the answer for us...

I'm happy to promote that thread too... 

• TurnberryThreeTurnberryThree Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    Yeah, I get this & I have the BT Wholehome mesh system. There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. Has anyone had a response from BT ?
  • ChadderzChadderz Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    Yep I have exactly the same too and also have the BT Whole Home mesh Wi-Fi network. Have always assumed it is the mesh networks hidden Wi-Fi